RO/DI

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Depends on where in the system the gauge is placed. If its after the prefilters then replace the filters. If its before the something is plugged.

Don

the PG is after the three big canisters on the main body a but before the top little white one and the DI resin canister..

anyone hear of anyone hooking up a RO/DI unit straight to your filtration system of a tank? like after the filter and before the water would be put back into the tank, have the water running through the RO/DI unit and then the water from there straight into the tank? my friend has a 110G tank with custom filtration system made by the guy he bought it from, and i was talking to him about getting one of these units for our tanks, i have saltwater(been using tap water but want to veer away from that ASAP) and hes going to have a FW setup(using tap water as well). is this type of set up even possible? instead of having it hooked up to the house plumbing, does anyone think it would work to set it up to the PVC of the tank's filtration system? i dont know too much about these units yet, ive read a little doing some homework before i go get one

anyone hear of anyone hooking up a RO/DI unit straight to your filtration system of a tank? like after the filter and before the water would be put back into the tank, have the water running through the RO/DI unit and then the water from there straight into the tank? my friend has a 110G tank with custom filtration system made by the guy he bought it from, and i was talking to him about getting one of these units for our tanks, i have saltwater(been using tap water but want to veer away from that ASAP) and hes going to have a FW setup(using tap water as well). is this type of set up even possible? instead of having it hooked up to the house plumbing, does anyone think it would work to set it up to the PVC of the tank's filtration system? i dont know too much about these units yet, ive read a little doing some homework before i go get one

Not even possible the filters would be shot within minutes.

Don

i didnt think it was possible. i told my friend it would most likely not work but i would try to find out for him. thank you!

RO prefilters and carbons should be replaced every 6 months like clockwork regardless of usage or whether they appear dirty or not. The reason for this is twofold, one is once the chlorine has been adsorbed by the carbon you are susceptible to bacterial and virial growth inside the filters and housings. The other is pressure drop to the membrane, lower pressures produce not only less GPD but also lower quality water. ALWAYS disinfect the system while you have the filters out for replacement, it only takes 5-10 minutes and is very important.
I ended up installing a second pressure gauge on the incoming tap water line ($10) and well worth it. Now at a glance I can see the house pressure and the pressure post prefilter and carbon so its very easy to see any pressure drop. With a single gauge its tougher since house pressures can change according to water system demands and seasonal adjustements.

The filter setup you describe is not possible especially for a saltwater tank since RO removes the salt from the treated water. The big obstacle though is you need 50 psi pressure to run a membrane system and aquariums pumps maybe deliver 5 psi. Also RO systems only produce about one gallon of water every 30 minutes wile an aquarium pump is circulating water at hundreds of gallons every 30 minutes. And like already mentioned, the particulates or suspended materials in an aquarium would plug a 1 or even 10 micron prefilter in a matter of minutes, they are designed for microscopic particles not big stuff.
Now hooking up an auto topoff system can be done easily, you just make yourself a storage reservoir to store the RO or RO/DI water in and then pump or gravity feed it to your tank or sump based on level using a float valve or better yet a solenoid or controller and float switches for more reliability.

i wasnt looking to get it on my saltwater because i figured it would probably remove the salt, i was going to get it for my basement and have tubs filled for whenever im ready for them. my friend has FW so he wondered about doing that. i figured with the pressure you get from the unit it wouldnt fill fast enough for the filter. was just a thought by him, wasnt a bad thought to try and see if it would work, would be awesome if it did though, you would probably never have to do water changes on a FW tank with the purified water filtering through and straight into the tank. only maintence would probably be changing RO/DI filters and membrane. if only someone could make something like that...

It is doable. Its called dyalisys and works very well on fresh or SW. Very expensive to build and maintain. Not worth the money and effort.

Don

Back