Rob's 93g 30"x30"x24" Marineland Cube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nothing major to update right now. My Vortech MP40W that I've only had running since Oct, 2009 quit the other day, and it turns out the wetside assembly has cracked plastic where the bearing sits. Disappointing to see a failure on a $400 pump after only 3+ months of use. Ecotech's warranty/service seems to be good though, as I was able to contact them the day after the failure via phone, described the problem, and they said they would send replacement part(s) to me. I haven't received the parts yet, but did get a UPS tracking number the same day (Ecotech must be sending it ground, as UPS shows delivery estimated to be next week). Decided to order a spare wetside assembly so I have an extra on hand... I really hope my limited experience with the Vortech isn't an indication of the failure rate...time will tell!

They do use UPS ground and takes about 5 business days to get it.

FWIW, I am on my third bearing base plate and I only had this pump since Sep of last year. IME, the pulse mode kills the bearing plate.

Thier CS is great. I got a replacement WS that was shipped UPS ground to me and it took 5-6 days to get to me.

Hmm, that is not what I wanted to hear! I should feel lucky then to only have 1 failure since last Oct I guess....

I'm not using pulse mode, but do use the reef crest and lagoon modes, which vary the pump speed. How are you using the pump now? Still using pulse?

yeah the customer service is awesome. Unfortunately the product is what is lacking. I had 4 of them and all but one had issues. I finally gave up and went with tunzies. They were used and I only had my first issue with one of them today. Good luck bud. The tank looks great by the way. I really like the rock wall. I did it once on a 90 gallon and I almost did it to my 450.

If Rob or anyone else who is familiar w/ this Marineland tank could please PM me the price I would love it.

I am taking down a 300 and looking to scale back a bit and I have been looking at the 36x36 marineland but it is going for about 1k and I would rather not spend that much right now. This looks to be a great option. Also does anyone know if these are plumbed w/ drains and returns?

Thank You,

Chad

Hey chad down here In the bay of Cali I just got a quote from truvu for a custom acrylic tank that is 36x36x36 with a 1/2 rim on top. The tank would be made out of 3/4 cell cast and it would have to overflows with a coast to coast setup. I got quotes more then 1k. I'll give u the exact quote if u want it.

Chad: sent you PM. I believe all the Marineland DD tanks can be made RR or not. Mine was RR with drain, return & plumbing. Also, low-iron front glass is also an option but I didn't get that.

hth,

Rob

Great thread. I am getting a quote on a Marineland 36x36x20 and 48x36x20. The quotes will be with front starphire and with three sided starphire. I like a shallow tank but after seeing your video, I am rethinking my decision.

Well, I figure it's time for some pic updates:

FTS:
IMG_1329.jpg

Side view:
IMG_1330.jpg

Besides adding new corals, since I set up the tank last October, I have noticed the maturing of the rock. I started with all dry/dead rock, so it was pretty much all white & clean. Now, much of the rock has taken on darker colors, with pink, dark purple, light green and dark green coralline showing up. Plus, my once pure white starboard bottom is showing quite a bit of coralline growth as well. I didn't seed the tank with any coralline specifically, but I did add snails and hermit crabs, and those guys did show signs of coralline growing on their shells. The coralline I have now must have come from them!

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

There are also 3 firefish in the tank, but they stay in hiding 23+ hours/day. I'll see them come out for a bit once or twice a day, but they eventually go back into hiding somewhere in a cave in the rockwall. When I first put them in the tank my tang would harass & chases them around. But now when they're out, they don't get harassed, but still must not feel completely comfortable either. Hopefully they'll start to stay out in the open more as time goes by...

Looks good! Anything so far that you'd do differently in setting up this system?

Nick

Hi Nick: thanks! The only thing that comes to mind right now when you ask your question is the depth of tank (front to back) makes reaching the back difficult. Standing on a step-stool I can just barely reach the MP40 on the back wall. Had I mounted it any deeper I wouldn't be able to reach it without lifting the canopy off. In hind sight, I think I should have had the canopy built with side access doors, much like the stand has doors on 3 sides. If the canopy had access via the sides, it would make maintenance and such much easier. I eventually want to get corals placed on the back walls too, and I'll probably have to remove the canopy to do that.

Other than that I've been very happy with everything so far!

Picked up this very nice anemone from Jason yesterday. My clowns took to it immediately, and after a little wandering around, it looks like the nem has found a spot it likes (at least for now...)

img_1344.jpg

The anemone has been moving around the tank quite a bit, almost completing a full circle of the tank. It must be looking for a sweet spot for light, but still looks healthy.

At one point it was in contact with one of my acans, which caused the tissue on 1/2 of it to recede. That was about 3 days ago, and the tissue still appears receded, although it does look like it's slowly improving.

The anemone has now chosen a spot right in the front of the tank, so I'm hoping it chooses to stay put there as it's a nice spot for viewing. Time will tell I guess...

Beautiful tank. I'm looking at a similar tank and was wondering what kind of lights do you have. i plan on doing soft, LPS, Zoa, Clam and anemone. MY tank will be 20 " tall though. thanks Wayne

Back