Rods-Food Review Two Thumbs Up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Premium Aquatics is $53 for 2nd day shipping to bothell WA ( I put in 5 units)
each 6 OZ frozen slab is $20 !!!
Paul

The formula is basically sound for a carnivore, up to 25% of its diet.

I don't see any value in carrots or cauliflower. Neither is sought out by nor digested by marine fishes. The broccoli is digestible if it has been blanched (and only the flowers/buds are of nutritional value to marine fishes). So what part of the broccoli was added and how was it prepared before adding it?

I believe (but not sure, it's been a long time ago) that Pearls contain wheat and land products, also of little value to marine fishes.

Containing garlic is catering to the masses, since garlic does little for the food or fish (but keep away vampires). Which brings up other 'flash words.' What does 'fresh' baby brine mean? Were they alive when added? Are the rotifers intentionally added? Why rotifers, if this is fish food?

Octopus and squid would have to be prepared before use, in that the ink sacs are removed together with the cartilage and beak. If they were, then the squid/octopus still contained its eyes and guts? There is a lot of flesh in the formula and it is short on whole foods. Is the shrimp with heads or just tails? Scallops would be just the meat. Krill and clam are goods whole food choices (if they are whole). Oyster is less desireable but a whole food, too. Grouper is not an efficient food product, unless we're talking guts, eyes, brains, organs. But most likely this would be just flesh. Bringing it full circle -- a lot of flesh rather than whole foods.

Is it really nori? I prefer to know the type of algae being added. If it is human food nori, do I know it is pure, without additives or flavorings for humans?

Nice to see the Selco there, but that is fat mostly. Where are the vitamin supplements?

A lot of questions, which don't need answering when I prepare my own foods.

Lastly, it is unclear how it is all bound. Is it a gel? Chunks? In specific sized pieces?

Fish liking a food doesn't make it a good food. One wants to have it both ways -- the proper nutritious food eaten by the proper fishes. I mean, if we all just went by how much it is liked, our children would eat pizza, ice cream and cake all the time until they grew up (if they did) then added beer to the list. :evil:

I'd like its nutritional analysis and the content of any wheat or land products explained. Looking over the list, I can see the food is high in fiber which is not good for carnivores and omnivores.

Last edited:
Good points leebca :)

I think there is some vitamin A,B,C From greens so I thought broccoli qualified. Rotofiers are good for lps corals I believe. This food looks like frozen salsa as far as I can tell from a picture(kinda like from a blender). I believe its for the whole reef including the corals and herbivores. I know we get vitamins from the food and water we eat, and I imagine fish do as well. I can't say what qualifies as pizza for fish, but garlic has helped some finiky eaters start to eat in captivity. Some people feed oyster on the half shell to copper banded butterfly's cause thats all the'll eat. I now have a yellow tang in my tank. I try to get him to eat nori but so far he eats only a little and seems to love both Mysis and zooplankton. I did not think it would pass over nori just leave it there and eat mysis but it did. Anyway I think this is not the only thing to feed ,but to me though it is easier than making it yourself . I favor trying to change the food's up every now and then.

:)

Paul

Lee,

The Golden Pearls are a trademarked name for these products which are sorted according to micron size. http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/GP-Diets-c11.html It's not land-based food.

For your other questions, you would have to speak with Rod Beuhler of www.rods-reef.com although he might just say it's a trade secret.

Lastly, it is unclear how it is all bound. Is it a gel? Chunks? In specific sized pieces?
If there is gelatin added, it's clearly in very low amounts. It basically breaks up into extremely small pieces, small pieces, small to medium pieces, medium pieces, medium to large pieces, yada, yada, yada. It's basically a frozen slab and you break off how much you think you need. (Be careful, a little goes a long way). This is what it looks like before it's frozen. http://www.rods-reef.com/bigPic.php?prID=39

PSAS, Mid-Columbia, etc. members,

You could do a group order if you wanted but you might want to contact your LFS to become a distributor. I was originally thinking of a group order for friends in my club but when I ended up temporarily managing a LFS, I told the owner we should just become a distributor.

Last edited:
I don't see what is in the Golden Pearl formula. Where are you getting that it contains no land products? Where do you see what is contained in the GP? I do see where they are sold for both marine and freshwater fishes, which leads me to believe that the product is suitable for only one and not the other -- a man-made product is not suitable for both types of fishes.

plack,
I see where the mix contains Selco. I read it wrong. I thought it was Selcon. Selco is a good vitamin source. That takes care of one concern. :)

Actually, plack, garlic has not shown to be an appetite stimulant. It is certainly worth trying and I use it myself. But in all honesty I have not had any fish start to eat just because I added garlic to the food. You may want to read some background on garlic which Steven Pro pulled together in his article:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/sp/index.php

Tangs go through stages. Very young Tangs are omnivores. Older Tangs turn into total herbivores. Nori may not be the right algae. You should also try packaged macro algae (not the human food nori) for marine fishes just to be sure it isn't the type or brand of algae in question.

It seems more like this is a food more for corals and inverts. There is a large range of particle sizes from the above reports. It would be a real water pollutant if it was to feed just fish. You couldn't get enough of it into the fish before the tiny bits cause serious pollution.

As a fish food, I think I'd pass.

Curtswearing,

I think I found the ingredients to Golden Pearls. It is here:
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/other-goldpearl-particle-c149.html

It says:
Proximate Analysis
Protein: 60%
Lipids: 18%
Ash: 15%
Moisture: 8%
Vitamin C: 1000 ppm
Vitamin E: 400 ppm
Astaxanthin: 500 ppm
Ingredients
Fish protein, whey, yeast and yeast extracts, marine fish oil, phospholipids, astaxanthin, vitamin and mineral premixes, anti-oxidants.

The ash is worthless for grown fishes. Whey is the second ingredient listed which would mean it is the second most quantity in the mix. That is a land product, making a significant portion of GP a land product. The yeast may be marine based, but most likely it is land based. The phospholipids is adding phosphorous to the mix, leading to phosphates in the water. The formula is good for fish fry, obviously. The mysterious part of the formula is "fish protein." Would that be marine fish or freshwater fish? I can buy 'beef protein' and it might contain hoofs (feet), tails, and kidneys, so I would be interested in what 'fish protein' might provide in the way of other nutrients.

In Rods food mix, maybe the GP just provides small particles for the corals and inverts. I can't speak for the corals & inverts, and don't how much land or freshwater products they need to lead a healthy life.

LEEBECA,
I tried oogo the red macro I grew in my refegium and my tang would not eat that yet either . It's not a very small tang its about 4 1/2". I am concerned it's not wating enoughp. I left packaged nori in there all day. And he barely touches frozen or flake formula 2. Guess I'll keep up with the mixture of zooplankton and mysis for now at least he does eat some of it :)
Paul

"i wonder if my clowns would like this though?"

Guess what kind of fish Rod breeds and are in demand? LOL

It's great...

The ash is worthless for grown fishes. Whey is the second ingredient listed which would mean it is the second most quantity in the mix. That is a land product, making a significant portion of GP a land product. The yeast may be marine based, but most likely it is land based..

This is where I'm not sure.

The phospholipids is adding phosphorous to the mix, leading to phosphates in the water...

This has always been a hotspot for me.....making people aware of the amount of phosphorus they are adding to their tank with just one feeding. However, this is not an issue merely with Golden Pearls.....it's an issue for ANY food we add to our tanks.

Heck, a lot of people are convinced that because their store-bought flake food says it, "Contains no phosphorus", it doesn't. That means that P is not ADDED during the manufacturing process. Nori contains phosphorus, live macroalgaes contain phosphorus, flake, pellets, frozen food contain phosphorus.

Even if you are making your own blender mush with fresh seafood, you are dealing with phosphorus in both organic and inorganic forms. The seafood naturally contains organic phosphorus and the seafood industry regularly sprays inorganic phosphate salts (called polyphosphates) onto the seafood either while still on the ship or as soon as they dock. If you buy frozen seafood for your blender mush, the list of ingredients won't tell you this....it will just say salt or saltwater.

The formula is good for fish fry, obviously. The mysterious part of the formula is "fish protein." Would that be marine fish or freshwater fish? I can buy 'beef protein' and it might contain hoofs (feet), tails, and kidneys, so I would be interested in what 'fish protein' might provide in the way of other nutrients..

I suspect only Rod could answer this. From my perspective, I truly don't care. I had a very expensive fish in my care who laid in the bottom of the tank for two weeks and wouldn't eat. Now this fish swims and eats like a pig.

In Rods food mix, maybe the GP just provides small particles for the corals and inverts. I can't speak for the corals & inverts, and don't how much land or freshwater products they need to lead a healthy life.

Improperly lumping all corals together and speaking of corals as a whole, they are apparently less picky than fish. They have a daily budget for Carbon, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus. Most species of corals are able to obtain a lot of their Carbon budget from photosynthesis but still need additional sources of Carbon and bacterioplankton, live zooplankton, dead zooplankton, provides them with both the needed Carbon but also phosphorus. On a reef proper, P is hard to come by, but it is much easier to obtain in our tanks. Sometimes, waaaaay too much easier which is why I'm always speaking of minimizing P imports and maximizing P exports.

In terms of the GP's, only the very smallest micron foods could be used by SPS corals. However, other corals would likely benefit from the larger sized GP's.

I don't want to get too far into this issue because there are many great threads on RF that get stricly into coral feeding and a quick search will reveal those.

Last edited:
I think during the next 10 years marine aquarists will see a revolution in marine fish foods introduced onto the market. They will be all seafoods, properly balanced, and properly nutritious. Then I can stop making my own. But, I've only found a couple so far and Rods isn't one of them, IMO. A proper food is more than a mix of products and foods. That's why those of us who make our own foods continue to do so. I'm beginning to see ads already that say 'contains no beef products' and 'contains no land products.'

For now, it takes like everything else in this hobby -- patience.

:)

I saw several foods today with beef liver & beef hearts? Peas, carrots, lettuce, lots of garlic, too much IMO!

Back