Rookie questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just have to chime in - go take a peek at pics of my current tank on the link at the bottom, it's a tall, narrow 37 gallon without a sump, because that's what I had my freshwater in. I even had to hang my HOB skimmer on the side because it's right against the wall. Flow is a little tricky, and rock stacking is annoying, but I've done fine.

Though there are some great things about sumps, you don't *have* to have one. I have a powerhead pointed up to riffle my water for good gas exchange, and I have macroalgae growing in the tank.

Many of the fancy things we try to do, such as sumps, are aimed at increasing the water volume and resilience of the system so that more creatures can live in the display. A lot of people buy way too many fish for their tanks. If you can control your urge to have every pretty fish you see ;) and keep your tank less populated you could have a very nice system without so many of the bells and whistles. That's what I've been doing :) I did very well with about an inch of fish per 7 gallons of water. Right now, I've got several little baby fishes and it's more like an inch of fish per 5 gallons, but I'm moving into a larger tank in June. With a sump ;)

At the least, you could set up a bare-bones mostly FOWLR with your current lights. Get a feel for things, and then you'll know what direction you want to go.

Wow there are so many differing opinions and it seems so many successes. After talking to a few people and stopping in at Barrier Reef yesterday I think we will go with a sump after all. We looked at several different setups over the weekend and this seems to be the one that makes the most sense. I never knew the beauty these tanks have within them and of course now that I have seen some first hand I have to have one. However I need to gather some more equipment before diving in. I got a fantastic stand yesterday (Thank You Todd) and did my mods to it to fit the tank as soon as we got home yesterday afternoon. Now it's just some freshening up on the stain and finish and we will set it up as fresh water until all the parts and pieces are gathered.

In going with this 70 gal tank what size pump should I use in the sump with a skimmer? What is the minimum gph I should have? It will be pumping up almost 5' for the return.

on my system I have about 5' head pressure (3' and 2 90 degree turns) and I'm using an eheim 1262 pump. I really like it, it is very quiet and effecient.

It is 850 GPH or so, and I'm doing around 650 at head pressure, if I remember right. I think it seems like a pretty good flow rate.

When you check out pumps, make sure you check how many watts it uses. If the pump costs a bit more, but has less power consumption, you'll save money in the long run, since it is on 24/7.

You will find with salt water, everyone has their own way of doing things. Everyone will have sucess stories of doing it their way. Over time you will develop your own way and have sucess with it as well.

Some only do Metal Halide lighting, others will say T12VHO, T5 HO, or compact florecents (CP). LED lights are new to the market, but there is very little testimony out there of how well they work.

Your best bet is to buy some books, search the internet and find a way that will work for you to keep your Ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrates at a 0 reading. You have shallow sand bed options, deep sand bed options, and a bare bottom. You can run a skimmer or chemical filters or both. You need some sort of filteration, you will have to decide which you will want to use. Our LFS in Oak Harbor has a very large DT with several coral, RBTA's and fish. There's no skimmer, no sump. Only a hang on fuge and a canister filter.

As for your return, get a return pump that is rated around 400-500 GPH with a 5 ft head. You do not want to use your return pump for flow. As skimmerwhisperer said, there are several low power consuming power heads on the market that provide plenty of flow. I like Korila's. They are low cost, put out a very wide flow, and consume very little power which equals less temperature released in your tank. Drawbacks: noisy on start up, they are big and ugly.

Hey Eric, It was really nice meeting you and your family yesterday. As I said in refering you to this site You'll get lots of advice, mostly good from alot of well experienced reefkeepers. The 'OLD SALTS' ; Michael (returnofsid), Adam (Myteemouse), Mark (Skimerwhisperer aka skimmer-guru) myself and a few other regular contributors here will always give kind-honest-reasonable-no nonsense advice to help Newbies succeed in reefkeeping. As Ryan (bigblue141) stated there are several successful ways of keeping a reef and you indeed will discover your own . I'm in NO-WAY trying to disrespect the younger/newer reefkeepers but, just saying "Any of us that have been successfully keeping marine systems for 20 years or more have tipically experienced it not just heard about it and are less likely to be caught up in the Flavor of the month ideals since we have lived through many.

Welcome to the Club and feel free to give me a call any time, Todd

So im going to be setting up my 46 gallon bow front as a reef tank. this is a stupid question but i have looking at lighting and thinking about buying a 150 watt metal halide. the question i have is since its a smaller tank the fixture is going to center the light over the support bar on the tank. is that going to be a problem?

And how long can you run with out a protein skimmer?

Yes, you can set up a very adequate reef tank, without drilling. There are HOB (hand on back) overflow boxes that work great, if you wanted to run a sump/refugium. Other than that, you don't need to drill OR use a HOB overflow. You can go skimmerless, though this will require more frequent water changes, or you can use a HOB skimmer. A proper amount of live rock, good flow and a HOB skimmer is all the filtration you need.

You can also incorporate an "over the back" closed loop system, though this requires some visible plumbing, inside the display tank.

Here's a good example of a non drilled closed loop system.
http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

Thank you. It looks like I might be going with a 29 gal AGA sump. I see you have the MPS 150 skimmer up for sale. Would that be adequate for my system?

OK, I have the new sand all stripped and refinished per the wife's request. Lots of work but well worth it. What is the best top coat finish that will withstand the salt the best? This is going to be sitting right in our dining room and needs to always look good with minimal maintenance. I would rather concentrate on the contents of the tank than the tank and stand.

I used an oil based stain though so will that sill work with either of those finishes?

Hey Eric, hows everything going ? You could also apply 3-4 coats of Watco Marine Finish which will give a nice low sheen. You should show me some pics as I almost stained it 'Ebony' after building it but was Over Ruled as the rest of our furniture at the time was Lt Walnut finish on Oak.

Todd

Everything is going fantastic Todd. The stand is looking amazing. I would use the Watco Marine but so far I have not been able to track it down. I have checked Loewes and McLendons who are both Watco dealers but they don't have it and no one seem to know anything about ordering something in. I will definitely post up some pics as soon as I take some new ones. It should be tomorrow. I have been watching the FS threads just seeing what is out there and there seems to be some great deals. I tried to get the free tank from Brett down here in Puyallup for my sump but he gave it up to someone he knew that had his number before he saw my PM. I'm sure there will be many more to come.

Here is a list of stuff I need to get this tank up and running. It is a 70 gal AGA that measures 36"w x 15"d x 30"t. At this point the tank is not drilled but it will be when I set it up. Some of the stuff I need:

Sump tank - I have 36" of width the work with and I would prefer one with a fuge.
Skimmer - the in-sump type
Live rock and sand/coral substrate
36" T5HO retrofit lighting w/ballasts for inside a wood hood
Powerheads - Probably at least 2

I have been watching the FS thread and some of this stuff comes up often but I have a hard time getting responses in time some times because I am new to the site and can not post on that thread. I also don't have tons of $ to drop. If anyone has stuff they think will work for my setup and are wanting to get rid of it for a reasonable price or lower :) please let me know. I live in Puyallup but travel all over the Puget Sound area for work so I am flexible on where you are.

I would also love it and be eternally grateful if someone would volunteer to help set this up once I have everything as well as do some of the mods to the tank like build/install the overflow. I am going to get it drilled at work once I know what holes I need and where they need to be. I am really just very nervous about setting up my first system and would love to get some assistance.

Thank you in advance,
Eric

Have you thought about making the sump yourself? Thats the cheapest way to do it, and you can design it exactly how you want it. Check out the site melevsreef.com and read the DIY sump sections.

If you are in seattle and want to stop by and see how I set up my system, feel free. I can sit and chat with you awhile. I'm not as skilled at some of the other reefers around, but I just set it all up, and think I did a pretty good job. Did a whole ton of research on a lot of things, so I think I can at least help you get on the right track.

eww, if you see something you need on the for sale forum, just PM the seller directly.

I have tried that and sometimes I get a response but not always. Things also seem to move quickly on there. Maybe I just need to be faster. Thanks for the tip though.

Back