Rose Anemone Shrinking

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishnewbie

Hello,

I have a 65 gallon reef with metal halide light (Geismann bulbs only 4 months old), 2 150 watt and 2 -54 watt CF. My rose anemone use to be very large (expanded to over 9" in height and about same in width) but now he is down to about 4". I feed him silverside, krill, and what ever I feed my fish. He has 2 clowns hosting him as well. My water quality appears to be good, ph 8.0/8.2, calcium at 500, nitrates/nitrites 0, ammonia 0, phos .25.

He was doing well for over a year and now he is losing steam. Is there a way to bring it back or is it just getting old? The person I got it from had it about 2 years. Funny thing though, between the previous owner and me, this anemone never split.

Will provide additional information if needed.

Thank you,

FishNewbie

So this anemone is at least 3 years old now? That wouldn't guarantee it's demise because they have been known to live longer under ideal conditions. It's entirely possible it's just getting old but I personally would like to see stronger lights on it but usually if they are unhappy with light they will move around trying to find a solution to the problem.

Well, if it is stressing, maybe it will split for you. If it ducks away into the shade for a week, this will be what is going on.

I have mine under 250 W MH's. But would think that your light is good for them. Also, I rarily if ever spot feed mine. Seems the light is all they need, and have had many splits now. I would maybe be cautious about overfeeding. Maybe fast them for a bit and see if there is improvement?

Ditto on the overfeeding mentioned by Rob (jrgilles). I had an RTBA that I over feed at times and it too would shrink up and get unhappy until I stopped feeding it for a while.

Lighting should be excellent for the anemone as I have nems under PC lighting and have always had great sucess with them. If the nem was not receiving enough light I think you would've seen some signs within the first few months of having the RBTA in your system.

I noticed that you didn't mention your Alk levels? Did you test for this?

Cheers,
Alex

I agree with the over feeding. I never feed my anemones. The clowns do that. I lied...actually about once or twice a month I would give each one a piece of a silverside if my eel doesnt eat it. They actually cant eat very much. It takes time for them to digest food.

its definitely not getting "old" either -

I didn't notice in your original post - but, how long have you, personally, had this nem in your tank?? They will get bigger to absorb more light - probably since you are feeding it so much, it doesnt need to absorb as much light, hence its smaller size....

When I mean I hand feed maybe once a month. I was told once that when their mouth is open, they are searching for food. Also, he has not moved in over a year, so I assumed the lighting was perfect. maybe just getting old.

Oh well once a month is not too much at all. It sounded like you were feeding it every day when you fed your fish.
Anyway...How is it doing today?

Have you replaced your lights recently?

The bulbs are only 4 months old. Even with the old bulbs he was full of life; now, not so much.

Are there any anemones that enjoy the light like mine more than others? I have room in my tank for a couple more just not sure which ones. I don't want the same ole bubble tips, I was thinking of something different that grows well.

Fishnewbie

I was just thinking if the bulbs were new recently, that they may be plenty of light for him, he didnt need to open quite as much as he used to, but since its been 4 months, it still could be he is just not needing as much light at the moment. Is he open at least? Not closed up? You should be able to post pics by now. See if you can get a pic posted.

What kind of water flow does it experience?
Nems do not like to be sitting stagnant, they enjoy blowing around in some current to keep refreshed

Here is a picture of my rose anemone 6 months ago, opened up over 9" in width and in height. It has good water flow as before, nothing changed there either, current still good.

DSC_0103.jpg

Now here he is opened up about 4"

PC160634.jpg

Looks like the nem is either going to split or getting ready to move.

Cheers,
Alex

all the red algae is a sign of over feeding, ineffective skimmer and or proper flow, your nem is trying to tell you that

Hello,

I have a 65 gallon reef with metal halide light (Geismann bulbs only 4 months old), 2 150 watt and 2 -54 watt CF. My rose anemone use to be very large (expanded to over 9" in height and about same in width) but now he is down to about 4". I feed him silverside, krill, and what ever I feed my fish. He has 2 clowns hosting him as well. My water quality appears to be good, ph 8.0/8.2, calcium at 500, nitrates/nitrites 0, ammonia 0, phos .25.

He was doing well for over a year and now he is losing steam. Is there a way to bring it back or is it just getting old? The person I got it from had it about 2 years. Funny thing though, between the previous owner and me, this anemone never split.

Will provide additional information if needed.

Thank you,

FishNewbie

When I mean I hand feed maybe once a month. I was told once that when their mouth is open, they are searching for food. Also, he has not moved in over a year, so I assumed the lighting was perfect. maybe just getting old.

Here is a picture of my rose anemone 6 months ago, opened up over 9" in width and in height. It has good water flow as before, nothing changed there either, current still good.

DSC_0103.jpg

Now here he is opened up about 4"

PC160634.jpg

Not enough information given here:

What are your water parameters:
pH is showing 8.0-8.2 (When was this tested, ie what time of day? Nighttime pH levels are often lower than daytime levels)
Alk/Dkh is what?
Ca is showing 500
Salinity is what?
Temp is what?
Where is the tank located in your house?
What are all the tank inhabitants currently. Has anything been added just prior to or around the time the anemone began to show signs of stress?
Lights are 4 months old. How old were the previous lights? Did you raise the lights up, or shorten the photoperiod to acclimate to the new, (more intense lights due to being newer as opposed to be older)
Are the lights the only thing that has changed in the tank during the period the anemone began showing signs of stress?

How big are the clowns in relation to the anemone?

Your anemone still looks healthy overall, its just not expanding as much as it used to.

Get the rest of the information and we should be able to help you out more.

Nick

I apologize for the lack of information. Here are some more numbers

What are your water parameters:
pH is showing 8.0-8.2 (When was this tested, ie what time of day? Nighttime pH levels are often lower than daytime levels) - Tested at 3pm
Alk/Dkh is what? meq/L 3.5 - dkh 9.8 according to the red sea kh/alk test kit
Ca is showing 500
Salinity is what? 1.024
Temp is what? 78
Where is the tank located in your house? not near any windows it is near a corner room with plenty of air flow
What are all the tank inhabitants currently. 3 maroon clowns, adults, 1 copper band, 1 yellow tang, 2 blue damsels

Has anything been added just prior to or around the time the anemone began to show signs of stress? nothing added for over 6 months

Lights are 4 months old. How old were the previous lights? Did you raise the lights up, or shorten the photoperiod to acclimate to the new, (more intense lights due to being newer as opposed to be older) old bulbs were 9 months old, nothing was raised or lowered
Are the lights the only thing that has changed in the tank during the period the anemone began showing signs of stress? yes

How big are the clowns in relation to the anemone? the female is about 4" and the 2 males about 2 1/2"

Last edited:
Back