Salt the question, once again!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Finally got Oceanic salt up here in Canada. Ive not been happy with IO as of late so i will try the Oceanic out on the new setup. So If Im reading this right I should start doing smaller changes on the old system to allow everything to adjust to the new salts. From what Im reading Oceanic Alk levels are low as compared to IO. So can someone explain this use of Baking soda and wash soda with out snitting at each other. Where Im located in Canada alk adjusting products are expensive, so a good alternative would be great.

MINIATUS :?:

Min a mix of 6 parts baking soda with 1 part washin soda will give you a alkalinity buffer. Using washing soda alone will raise your Ph but will not affect you alk.
The method of making the alkalinity buffer is to mix as stated above and then place on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 200F for about two hours. then remove and bottle it up for use.

Mike

mojoreef said:
Using washing soda alone will raise your Ph but will not affect you alk.

10 gms of washing soda in 50 gallons will raise ALK by approximately 1 meq/L. Washing soda is primarily sodium carbonate, while baking soda is primarily sodium bi-carbonate. These two will interconvert to one another in our aquariums by equilibration with CO2. Initial pH changes and Alk changes will differ between the two but within 24-120 hours in a tank, similar values of pH and Alk should settle out. Mixing the two in the proportions listed earlier is a good idea as this more closely approximates where the equilibrium between carbonate and bi-carbonate lies in a reef tank. However, adding one or the other will accomplish the same goal, it just has to equilibrate in the tank over time via mixing with CO2 from the air. This is a reason we need good turnover in our tanks and in the room air to make sure CO2 dissolution into the water is not limited or exagerated.

Sincerely...C

cwcross said:
it just has to equilibrate in the tank over time via mixing with CO2 from the air. This is a reason we need good turnover in our tanks and in the room air to make sure CO2 dissolution into the water is not limited or exagerated.

Sincerely...C
hence the spiking of my make up water, it has time to settle down before mixing with salt mix or kalk.

charlie said:
cw, is that air exchange the reason that people seem to have ph problems in the wintertime? Would you suggest the use of fans in the winter also to help with this?

Likely in the winter, people who have gas furnaces will get higher levels of CO2 in the air. This will increase the saturation of CO2 in the water as carbonic acid. I think the trick is to make sure the house has adequate exchange with the outside air. If the air in the house is full of CO2 and you just blow a fan, it won't help. Aquariums with an air driven or venturi skimmer will likely have more problems than those without, due to the largely increased surface area in contact with air due to the many small bubbles. Taking the inlet air from outside may help in this case. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to solve it easily. Ultimately the trick is to keep the CO2 levels in the ambient air at natural levels. If your heater exchange is just circulting air inside the house with no fresh air being brought in, CO2 levels can build. Of course you can open a window and blow a fan inside, but this might make it a little frosty and raise gas bills also. If our fish are happy though, I'm sure it is worth it. ;)

Collin

mojoreef said:
Min a mix of 6 parts baking soda with 1 part washin soda will give you a alkalinity buffer. Using washing soda alone will raise your Ph but will not affect you alk.
The method of making the alkalinity buffer is to mix as stated above and then place on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 200F for about two hours. then remove and bottle it up for use.

Mike

Thanks! I recently switched to Oceanic from IO and my corals and I are very happy with it. :) Unlike the IO that needed Ca and Mg, all I need to add is just a bit of Alk now. I have been using a commercial store bought alk buffer but I will try the recipe you posted!

Doni~

I'm still trying to find Oceanic locally I may have to resort to online purchasing, any good sites?

Scooterman,

I used IO for a couple of years and supplemented to raise the low levels of calcium and magnesium. I had decided to switch to Oceanic, but when I went to Premium Aquatics to buy it, they were out (Nikki had bought it all :( ) So, I bought Kent and I am extremely happy with it and have no intention of changing. :D

I do weekly 10% water changes and did not deviate from that when I changed brands. I no longer have to supplement to raise the calcium, although I still do need to add a little magnesium every 4 or 5 weeks. It says no phosphates on the bucket and it tested at zero for me.

I always test my tank water pre-water change, but only test afterward if something is out of whack. I also test my water change water 3 times per bucket--once when I first open it and two more times as I use it.

Just my $0.02--hope this is useful

Last edited:
damn that Nikki,,there nerve of her!
just go over and ask to borrow a cup of salt,,,,i heard that happens in suburbia...:)

How come nobody uses Coral Life? I've found it's high in Mg and low in alk, but have never had any problems with it. Just curious about why nobody uses it?

TG we always used to call it a dirty salt. It tops all the other salts when it comes to contaminates. It also has a ton of Lithium, silicates and its PH is way up thier to.

Mike

Back