saltwater holding for weekly changes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have 180 gallon extra deep . Corner overflow 45 gallon sump run by Iwaki 780 gph with berlin skimmer rated at 220 gal. With 300 watt leds 50- 50 white blue

Will, people will be more than willing to help you out. We just need some specifics from you to help diagnose what might be going on for you. Take your time, compose the breakdown of tank specs, Equiptment, and maintenance schedule for us. Do you dose? What type of mechanical filtration do you have? Do you run a skimmer?

All this will help us help you:)

RODI unit is only 2 months old Also 145lbs liverock with major purple encrustration of coraline

do u have a tds tester id check quality of ur ro water to start with. start at the supply and work forward. i keep all me 55g barrels at 50deg with an 8inc blue airstone no movement pump. and i keep it in the barrels for months at a time with no blooms. as for keeping the res at tank temp i think ur asking for trouble with algae. with my experiences. i heat my water 6 hrs before using it.

just started dosing kent marine tech part a and b 2 days ago calcium at 390 trying to raise

I didn't mean for it to be kept tank temp at all times. I just hoped he wasn't putting 72 degree water straight into his system.

actually am putting 72 degree in main tank Major problem? I have extra 300 watt heater if so

yea id heat all water to 80 deg. before useing it. dont store at that i keep all my water in the garage so it stays cold. can have neg affects on corals specially sps.

Will, it would appear to me that that would cause a big temp swing If you were to change out say 10 %. That could flex and swing your temps a lot. Corals will slime if stressed.

If you run your tank at 77 degree your make up water should match that. If you heat it to 80 degrees it would swing it the other way. Does that make sense how I explained it?

So is using this water every week keeping my nitrates at 10 to 20 ppm Or is tank not completely cycled after 8 weeks

I would think its NOT completely cycled. I would do a very Large water change then test after 24 hrs and see where your test results are.

nitrites 0ppm ammonia in main tank 0 phosphates at 0ppm alk at 3.5 calcium at 390 but nitrates still at 10 to 20 ppm no corals yet just liverock and 2 clarksies and 5 green chromis 1 6 line wrasse and one tang. trying to wait out nitrates before corals

Back