Sargassum Frogfish so Cool

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Haji4

I am fairly new to this forum but I am so excited about my new fish. These Frogfish are so cool with lots of personality. My Husband named him Herkermer Merkatroid II and it fits. He is very interactive with people and is our new poster child for the " Do Not Enter" and "Keep Out" signs. He has a face only a mother could love. He eats well to. Now we know what to do with all of those convicts no one buys any more. He eats one every 3 days.

I am fairly new to this forum but I am so excited about my new fish. These Frogfish are so cool with lots of personality. My Husband named him Herkermer Merkatroid II and it fits. He is very interactive with people and is our new poster child for the " Do Not Enter" and "Keep Out" signs. He has a face only a mother could love. He eats well to. Now we know what to do with all of those convicts no one buys any more. He eats one every 3 days.

frogfish rule! we had one in our sump for a while... people say that dont' last long in tanks, but ours was healthy for a long time... he only died when we switched tanks.

Feeding them is always a good time. :)

Well I learned thet he is a Marble-mouth frogfish and he is awsome. He matches the live rock. He will be moving soon into his own 55 gal tank. He will love all of the caves and things we are trying to put together for him.

Today I came across this article in Coral the April/May 2008 that was so interesting to read entitled Terminal Feast by Tobias Engel (pg 75). He explained how frogs are ambush hunters that lay and wait for its pray. He had a striated frogfish that was 5 inches long and he ended up placing the frog in a tank with a bamboo shark that was 12.5cm long. He said that he fed the frog 3 fish before he relocated it. He left the tank for 10 minutes to get the bamboo shark some food, and when he came back, he noted the frog was very large with this "tongue" hanging out of his mouth. He was just laying at the bottom of the tank.

He had eaten the shark, and in a matter of 10 minutes he had completely swallowed it. He had pictures of the fish, and you could not even recognize it. It took the fish 3 days to die, and he did a necropsy on it, and pulled out the shark. It had not been effected by the digestive juices of the frog at all, and it only shrank one inch.

Very interesting article if you want to read it.

Engel, Tobia. April/May 2008. A Terminal Feast. Coral 5(2): 75-76

Back