School's out for Solana 34??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gort

Dazed and confused
Given the limited capacity of my Solana 34, I have to take care with stocking levels. I'd love to have a small school of either Chromis or PJ Cardinals.

Taking the pulse and seeing what feedback I get on this possibility.

Probably best to get more information before we comment.

How many gallons does it hold? List your equipment? filtration? skimmer? How deep is the substrate or how many gallons of actual water is in the tank (not just how much will it hold). How much circulation does it have? How old is it?

Probably best to get more information before we comment.

How many gallons does it hold? List your equipment? filtration? skimmer? How deep is the substrate or how many gallons of actual water is in the tank (not just how much will it hold). How much circulation does it have? How old is it?

The tank in pretty new - about 5 weeks into it; just finishing the cycle (according to water parameters checked Sunday). With substrate (1" deep sandbed) and the Vida Rock (porous ceramic scape rock) plus a bit of live rock - the true water capacity is just shy of 30 gallons. It has the stock Current USA Solana skimmer, media basket with filter floss, Purigen and Chemipure Elite. It's also been suggested that I could break up the small piece of rubble live rock and place it in the basket. No additional internal flow yet, but I'm eying a Koralia Nano. I'm performing 20% weekly water changes and would be willing to up the percentage if need be.

I've been advised by all to take it slow, the idea of a tiny school of fish is just one of the stocking options I'm considering.

Some Chromis do get a bit on the large size. Like that tank would be good, right now (current equipment and size) of about 6" of fish, but each Chromis can grow to 3" in captivity.

The Cardinals will remain smaller, but even three of them would be the comfortable limit since they'll need room to grow, too.

You might get more info from these posts:
Fish Stocking Limit – for FO and FOWLR
and
Starting up a Marine Aquarium.

Sadly, the 29 -30 gallon tank doesn't accomodate much in the way of ornamental marine fishes. It will make a good coral/reef tank (with one or no fish).

Sadly, the 29 -30 gallon tank doesn't accommodate much in the way of ornamental marine fishes. It will make a good coral/reef tank (with one or no fish).

At first I though I'd go with a FOWLR tank - until I saw a nano-reef. That is my goal now.

Hi Gort, i had three chromis is my Solana, gave them to Kang (fellow reefer on here). My Solana is overloaded now (2 clowns, 1 goby, 1 blenny, 1 sixline wrasse, and lots of coral. Let me know if any questions on the solana. I have a small fuge in the second compartment (between the two drip trays). Love my solana, but moving to a 57g in a about two week. I did the mesh mod on the stock skimmer and it works great for me.

Hi Gort, i had three chromis is my Solana, gave them to Kang (fellow reefer on here). My Solana is overloaded now (2 clowns, 1 goby, 1 blenny, 1 sixline wrasse, and lots of coral. Let me know if any questions on the solana. I have a small fuge in the second compartment (between the two drip trays). Love my solana, but moving to a 57g in a about two week. I did the mesh mod on the stock skimmer and it works great for me.

Be careful what you "wish for" cuz I'm nothing but a boatload of Solana questions. I'm opting for a newfangled media basket from inTank in the middle chamber. I'd like hear more abut the "mesh mod" for the stick skimmer.

I don't have a solana,but do have a bc29. My stocking list
1 clown fish
1bar goby
1 fire fish
1 randalls shimrp goby w/shirmp
1 six line
Peppermint shirmp
Filled with corals-sps,lsp,zoas rics.

Everything is doing fine

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

If you can get your hands on some healthy red spot cardinals, they stay small and school and look great in smaller reefs

Go with a Koralia 1 instead of a nano. I had a couple nano's in my solana and ended up having to upgrade to 1's. Nano's don't flow enough. Good luck on your solana. They are awesome little tanks!

No problem. You will love the Solana. It is/was my first saltwater tank and have had nothing but a great experience with it. Very simple tank that just looks beautiful.

Be careful what you "wish for" cuz I'm nothing but a boatload of Solana questions. I'm opting for a newfangled media basket from inTank in the middle chamber. I'd like hear more abut the "mesh mod" for the stick skimmer.

No problem. You will love the Solana. It is/was my first saltwater tank and have had nothing but a great experience with it. Very simple tank that just looks beautiful.

I have another reefer-pen-pal who apparently did the mesh mod for the skimmer - but doesn't recall the details - too much beer in the meantime I think. I love the look of the Solana - mine is just completing the initial cycle. I did a large water change over the weekend and will add a CUC this week. Looking forward to adding some starter corals.

Back