Sea Chem Reef Salt -high pH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chichas01

Ixthus
Anyone out there using Sea Chem Reef Salt?
I just switched to Sea Chem from Marine Environment and mixed up 2 5 gallon batches. I'm noticing the pH reads 9.2 @ 1.025 sg using a Milwaukee hand held pH tester.
I've done 2 previous water changes with this mix and my tank pH is at 8.7.

I would see if your pH meter needs to be recalibrated or at least use a standard titration test just to be on the safe side.

Then if it's still too high, just buy some seltzer water (no sugar in it) and slowly dose this in your tank.

I actually used to get mine from a pizza parlor......they had a button that only put out water and they had a button that only put out seltzer water.

My high pH was not from the salt mix....it was from the water supply

Yep, I decided to recalibrate about 2 minutes after my post and now my readings are where they should be. My meter (Milwaukee pH600) is fairly new and I calibrated it a couple weeks ago when I got it. I was about to think I had made a poor decision in switching to Sea Chem.

I use Seachem and normally the borate content is helpful at keeping ph in a healthy range and stable. So I'm glad the problem turned out to be your ph probe.

*moved to the chemistry forum... for the sake of organization :D

Many salts have a high pH when first mixed. Once they equilibrate with the air they will drop.

photo10.asp

Back