Seachem Prime and tap water instead of ro/di?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

City water, well water, etc will all fluctuate with respect to TDS over time so I would never be comfortable with a report which is basically a snapshot. The RO will ensure that you aren't building up undesired solids without knowing. A simple low cost RO is worth the investment IMO.

i agree i cant even trust the drinking water stations here the tds readings for them are 15ppm. i change my filters on my ro unit when it hits 5

bulkreefsupply has a build your own RO option and it can be configured to be a 3 stage, and they build all their systems in-house so I bet if you called them up they would also do a two stage filter with no RO membrane for a reasonable price.

they are a sponsor here and i've ordered a ton of stuff from them, they are good people. cheap two part dosing supplies and nice dry rock too.

Ill give them a call monday, looking at their website i can get a 5 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon block, and a 75gpd setup for $79. If i could just get the sediment and carbon block that would be awesome.

They use the same housings for their carbon/gfo reactors so what you are pretty much looking at is getting one of their dual reactors plus some filters to put in it.

But the thing is that the filters are rated for a certain flow rate and I think if you just hook them straight up with no RO membrane and flow restrictor to slow things down that it might flow too fast. If you call them they'll know what to do.

Yes, i go to the Shark Reef currently. Only problem with that is he has to close at 5 now, which is the same time i get off work.

So i have decided on building my own three stage unit from bulk reef supply. I got some additional numbers on the water in my area and i think i should be ok with with a 5 micron sediment filter and a 5 micron carbon block (cto/2), and a 75 gpd r/o membrane. Does anyone see the need to add an additional 1micron carbon block to that? From what i understand it sounds like that is necessary only if you have pretty bad water. The price is good too, its only costing $103 including a pressure gauge and flush kit.

I've always used tap water with conditioner. Plan to get an RO/DI eventually, but havn't had any serious problems that I can blame on my water source.

I have been using tap water with conditioner for probably the last month and haven't seen any change at all. My LFS closes before i get off work now so I'm kinda sol until i get my own system. I found the system i was putting together last night is probably $40 cheaper then anything else i have found, at just over $100 i thought it was a pretty good deal.

turbidity is not a good indicator of TDS. You could have a lot of stuff disolved in the water and have no turbidity. If the solids are dissolved, they should contribute nothing to turbidity, hence why we read TDS.

Turbidity is just a measure of the cloudyness of the water

We started using tap water as we were frustrated with the many stops to our not-so-local-to-us fish store and spending the money not just for the water but for the gas to get there. I haven't tested the TSD of our water but I just have a 'feeling' that it wouldn't be too bad. Anyway, now we have some very beautiful algae that is THRIVING in our tank! :dizzy:

We're picking up an RO until this Sunday. Hoping it will be easy to set-up and use.

If u keep using prime, its going to end up costing u a lot more than an rodi unit. just order a unit now! :)

i guess my only remaining question is it worth getting the 1 micron carbon block on the backside of the 5 micron sediment and 5 micron carbon?

I use tap with prime and have had zero issues. I have been using this method for about 2 years. Just a FYI.

I've heard that from a few people now, and thats what i have been doing. So far i have not seen any adverse affects, but i'm a little paranoid based on what the cost of things in my aquarium is to replace. I have been doing this on a budget for a few years now, so for me to lose stuff would be a pretty big setback. For what i can get the setup for i think it would be worth it. I had considered continuing the way i have been doing it, but it kinda freaks me out too...

This following statement is purely from my experiences....this is in NO WAY fact....there.....there's my disclaimer

I see tank after tank with tons of equipment (Skimmers, Reactors, RO\DI) and dosing all going on.....and crash....then I see these tanks that are like mine....in the eye's of the fellow reefer they are "neglected" or simply not taken care of well because we use tap and you know what....I don't know anyone personally that uses tap and had a crash.

Seems the more dosing you do....the better chance of crashing....the more equipment or reactors or what have you....the better chance of crashing

again....this is not a fact....just my opinion. Do I recommend others to follow my lead.....no....why because I believe your tank actually only rely's on one thing... consistency. If you are a doser....then you need to consistently keep dosing to keep your levels the same....if you use reactors then you consistently need to clean em and change out the media's to keep everything the same....if you are like me (water changes every 3 to 6 months and using tap) then stay consistent.

Seems when I am consistent....I get consistent growth and happy corals and fish. When I deviate and do a bunch of crud to my tank I have issues. So....back to the regularly scheduled program I go. I have a buddy with a 240, 2x180's, and a 60....he has every reactor you can think of....a few hundred dollar RO\DI set up....doses like mad....and he currently is rebuilding his stock after all but the 60 crashing. BTW....the 60 is his daughters tank....she does very little to it.

Final disclaimer.....this is just my experience and opinion.

Last edited:
I would buy the BRS 5stage unit. I have it and been using it for almost a year. Still on the original filters.

This following statement is purely from my experiences....this is in NO WAY fact....there.....there's my disclaimer

I see tank after tank with tons of equipment (Skimmers, Reactors, RO\DI) and dosing all going on.....and crash....then I see these tanks that are like mine....in the eye's of the fellow reefer they are "neglected" or simply not taken care of well because we use tap and you know what....I don't know anyone personally that uses tap and had a crash.

Seems the more dosing you do....the better chance of crashing....the more equipment or reactors or what have you....the better chance of crashing

again....this is not a fact....just my opinion. Do I recommend others to follow my lead.....no....why because I believe your tank actually only rely's on one thing... consistency. If you are a doser....then you need to consistently keep dosing to keep your levels the same....if you use reactors then you consistently need to clean em and change out the media's to keep everything the same....if you are like me (water changes every 3 to 6 months and using tap) then stay consistent.

Seems when I am consistent....I get consistent growth and happy corals and fish. When I deviate and do a bunch of crud to my tank I have issues. So....back to the regularly scheduled program I go. I have a buddy with a 240, 2x180's, and a 60....he has every reactor you can think of....a few hundred dollar RO\DI set up....doses like mad....and he currently is rebuilding his stock after all but the 60 crashing. BTW....the 60 is his daughters tank....she does very little to it.

Final disclaimer.....this is just my experience and opinion.

How long have you been reefing? What is in your tank? I know, disclaimers etc but I've seen more of the opposite of what your saying, also lots of people buys stuff and just don't have the experience for long term reef tanks.
I do agree big time, consistency is very important, that I can assure you!

I bought a 6 stage RO/DI from BRS with the 150 gallon per day upgrade (second RO membrain), and it's been great. I produce a 1:1 waste to product ratio, with 0 TDS. My kent tap water tests at 45 TDS. I run the waste water into the washing machine, and my girlfriend claims all of her laundery is now softer than ever, go figure. If you ask them to they'll set it all up for you too right out of the box. Best thing i've bought for reefing so far, other than the tank. I became really lame driving to get 30 gallons of water from the LFS.

Back