Seattle aquarium water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

I just thought I would share my experience with this water, I just started using it in my reef last week, I bought 5- 60 gallon barrels with lids similar to IO salt buckets with a twist on top with a water tight gasket. so I tested the water when I got it home and the parameters were off a bit, but nothing I couldnt adjust in little time. here is what the test results were:
salinity 1.022
ph8.0
alk 6.7
calc 320
mag 1250

so I added some IO salt to adjust the salinty to 1.026 and the here were the results
salinity 1.026
ph 8.3
alk 8.0
calc 380
mag 1300

I then adjusted it a bit more with my own supliments here is what the parameters were after adjusting:
salinity 1.026
ph8.3
alk 11.2 DKH
calc 450
mag 1350

I had been very busy since I did my first water change (60 gallons on a 120 gallon system) so I hadnt payed any attention to it for 3 days, well when I came home today I noticed that I had coraline algea growing out my A$$ in the reef. I had more growth in 3 days then I did in 2 months before! It is still a bit early to say that the water is perfect but I must say I am very pleased with it so far!! I will keep you posted with my results as I continue to try this water....

Matt

Yes I would be interested in a per gallon cost of your home boosted Seattle Aquarium brew? Not to mention another report in a few weeks time.

from what I understand it's like $35 startup fee which 25 goes towards your saltwater which is a whopping $12.50 a gallon... just kidding... it's only 5¢ a gallon. and you get this really groovy debit gard thing that you can swipe at a self service valve thingy. I did it a couple years ago but I figured it wasn't cost effective for me to commute since I alays hit downtown seattle at the wonderful times of rush hour.

:rolleyes: Well that seems to figure to be about 1/5 the price of IO mixed saltwater just figuring the salt cost... if I am doing my math right at this time of night.

I get all of my water from there too. I don't seem to have any troubles. The water comes out of teh sound and is filtered. 5cents a gallon I can't beat that. They will even give you a sheet on the water parameters when you sign up. They are pretty consistant because it is from the sound. The only tough part is getting setup up initially b/c you have to go certian hours. after that then you can go at 3am if you want.

thats cool aye i get fresh saltwater all it needs is some alk cause its tempreate water so i just add alk and away u go

so u bought turn out water From a local aquaiuem?

Yes. They give you a sort of dbit card. You pull up to the loading zone and start filling tanks in back of your truck. The LFS's around hear use the service and also resell it. I think if you live close enough its a pretty good deal. Alot of folks get nasty algae blooms with it but if you have very established tanks it seems to do well.

Don

Matt, how much IO salt did you add per gallon?

I have one of these debit cards but I haven't been using it. I started getting paranoid about contaminants from the Sound (diesel oil, what have you...)

Matt, have you tested for Nitrates and Phosphates?

That's the REAL question! (The "elephant in the room", so to speak....)

Sure Seattle NSW is cheap and natural--but as we pollute our waterways, you could pollute your tank too--and then "natural" ain't so good...

Think of all the crud that washes off our lawns (fertilizers) and streets (like oil, gas, PCBs, etc.) and as "water runs downhill"--it eventually gets into The Sound.....

So keep the weather in mind as you pump that Seattle Aqua--if it's been raining hard for a few days, then all that rainwater (and the crud that mixes into it) is rushing into The Sound....

[The best time to pump is a time like now--after a few dry days-- There's no FW run-off and less land-based pollution in the mix...]

just a word of caution - may be worthwhile to talk w/ one of our contacts at the aquarium. I can't remember his real name, think his logon was UWscotch, but he was our tour guide at the last PSAS event that was held there. Aweosome guy - wish I could remember his name.

I'm not saying he said it was bad b/c he didn't say that, but he did show us how it was proccessed last time we were there and it made me draw the conclusion on my own that it might be a little risky for the types of setups we like to run. I know a lot of local commercial food companies get their water from there. I think they take it out of puget sound, and pass it through carbon and that's it - don't quote me. I just remember thinking it maybe wasn't as purified as much as I was hoping for to put in my reef.

Again, not saying it's bad - don't get me wrong. Not even saying we can't get excited about it. I just wanted to make a point that it's probably worthwhile to get the inside scoop before putting in your tank.

Matt - i'll be curious to see how your results of this over time.

I was told when I signed up that it was put through UV sterilization.

I also heard anectodally (not from the Aquarium but from someone on this forum), that the Seattle Aquarium does not use the water they sell for their own tanks. That would be a very telling fact, if we could verify that it's true!

The water that we sell at the aquarium isn't bad... Alot of seafood companies and restaurants purchase it for their holding tanks. HOWEVER, that is not the same water that we use in our Exotics tanks. The water that is sold is the same that runs through our local open systems. It is run through particulate & sand filters and UV. The water that we use in Exotics starts with the same water, but is run through another set of particulate and sand filters, carbon, ozone, another UV, and protein skimmer before we use it in tanks (it's obviously also heated).

Meche asked a very important question. Puget Sound water through our open systems (not the Exotics) nearly always has at least trace nitrates. For example, nitrates were .03 yesterday. We do not regularly test for phosphates but when we have, there have been at least trace amounts.

So MY OPINION is: do not use/purchase the water after heavy rains or the first rains after a dry spell due to runoff issues (Duwamish & sewer), do not use it in a tank that is not established, use it only for minor water changes, and buffer it before using.

~ Steve

Last edited:
Just for the record I did not test phosphates but nitrates were not detectable on my salifert kit.
I know you cant just heat it to 78 degrees and dump it in your reef, this water needs buffered and some other adjustments to make it (fit for a reef)
It does bother me a bit to think that the aquarium itself does not use it in their tropical reef tanks but maybe it because it costs them more money to adjust the water then to mix their own...

Matt

Back