Seattle aquarium water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just curious why this thread was moved to PSAS forum, To my knowledge the Seattle Aquarium has nothing to do with PSAS...:)

Just curious is all..

Thanks
Matt

Yep... You better test that water for nitrate, phosphate, and so on...

They don't do anything else to filter that water other than some sand filtration to get rid of the particulates. I specifically asked about this when we did the spend the night at the aquarium tour a few months ago.

And yes I was also told by the staff that they do not use the same water in their reef tanks. He also mentioned that they do occasionally run into problems with fish dying and he thinks it's due to the water issue.

D.

Last edited:
class clown I get water from Scripps in San Diego, CA. It has worked wonders for my tank so far (8 months). Do you have any info about that water?

class clown I get water from Scripps in San Diego, CA. It has worked wonders for my tank so far (8 months). Do you have any info about that water?

Sorry Damsel, I don't know. But it is worth it to really dive in and find out about their purification methods, and be aware of the risks (if any). I'm sure the local club down there has the inside scoop. 8 mos is a decent time w/ success. Also find out if they use it in their aquariums. If it's the exact same water they use on their million dollar+ systems, you're probably good. ;)

Thanks Class C. wonderful info that me a newbie would not have thought of.

Wow really good point. The less run off the better the "NSW". And if you get it from your LFS then who knows When they got it???

Last edited:
The NSW you buy from the LFS is most likely from the Catalina company. This water is collected offshore in California and has been filtered with UV so it should be fine to use.

I would definitely find out if the Scripps Aquarium uses the same NSW in their reef tanks though.

if is a dangerous word.........

i would be willing to bet that a aquarium with so meny fish, would have to have some sort of parasite or deseases,

and to rely on a Uv is scary......

but sounds good let us know how that works.....
maybe ill drive out there with a tanker truck

Here is my OVERALL Opinion on using this water.

I think that as long as you dont plan on just heating it up and tossing it in your tank. but instead use every precaution available to test and ensure the water has no problems such as: Test ph, alk, calc, mag, nitrate, amonia, and phos. then I cant see any reason why or how the water could cause any harm. So I say if it tests ok then why not use it?

Believe me I will test every barrel before it goes in my tank!

OPINIONS on mine????

Matt

Not sure about Scripps Aquarium water, but the water from the Long Beach Aquarium (that they let you draw on), comes from a deep water source near catalina, goes through sand filters, carbon filtered, UV sterlized, and skimmed. It's expensive as well. But it's one of the best base waters to set up a tank with or do a major water change with (more than 50% change).

IMO, sand and UV is not enough filtration for a water source that comes directly from a harbor. Not for a FOWLR or Reef system. For a FO or Stock tank sure, but not on a tank that could/would easily explode with algae blooms.

Matt's idea of buffering the NSW from the aquarium would be recommended in all cases. Elevate your levels to where they should be for the reef tank. And continue to test those rough parameters, Nitrates and Phophates. Those are the killers. That's why we use 100% RODI in our top off water. No reason not to follow the same practice for base water.

agreed with all of that you 2 just said. but you cant rule out the possibilty of infection.... im sure they dont filter out turn out water.

and test kits will not indacate that.....

I highly doubt that there water is gonna have any nh4 or no3... that a aquaium.... why would they have that?? half a million dollar filtration doesnt inclued no3

To reiterate: the water that we sell at the Aquarium is only run through sand filters and UV because 75% of the exhibits are OPEN FLOW THROUGH systems containing animals native to Washington waters and Puget Sound. That's why we're not concerned with trace amounts of whatever in our incoming water. However, this IS an issue with closed system reef tanks. Thus, the water that we use in the Exotics side is further filtered/treated. That's why Matt's procedure is a very good idea. Do the tests that you feel are needed to make you comfortable using the water. Don't take my word or anyone else's word for it. Since it is water straight from the Puget Sound, water quality can change from morning to evening on the same day. This means testing the water every time you use it too.

~ Steve

Wow, this has really opened my eyes. That much testing every time?

Also I heard "Catalina water" came from Long Beach Harbor. Just a rumor (sp,sorry). Another rumor Santa Barbara water was fantastic and as you said came from quite a ways off land and was filtered through sand. Still testing seems to be key. I mean I am so new at this mixing my own water seems awfully daunting!!

Thank you Eric B. I will look into getting some of that water from the L.B. Aquarium. Sounds way cool! BUT I will test it first, before using :). thanks again.

Last edited:
That sounds like way less work than scooping some IO into a mixing barrel with some RO then just being able to use it. Another plus is I could really test my rice paper thin patience and ability to handle being anywhere near Seattle while people from Seattle are there on the road with me at the same time, while road raging my way to the aquarium...haha..ok... jk..kinda.

Actually I suppose if you got a large enough quanity brewed up and kept it circulating it wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

Last edited:
I would like to say that I will no longer be using this water myself, as stated in the first post the water parameters were perfect but within 5 days of the water change I lost 3 large acropora colonies (not aquacultured) I am very upset about the ordeal and I think that the aquarium should be more honest about their water, their words to me were Quote " This water is everything that you need for a marine aquarium"

So I am down $40 for the mebership, $25 in gas 3 hrs of my time driving up there and 3 beautifull acro colonies.....

Sorry to report the bad news guys...

Matt

I think if you were setting up a NW style cold water aquarium, "this water is eyerything that you need..". For tropical marine aquariums, maybe not so much.

Back