Seattle to hot 90º this week

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Roscoe - 90 degrees in your house? Holy cow! How do you sleep at night?

g

I don't that is why I'm still up typing this :lol::lol:! It is 87 degrees in my freaking house right now!!!!! I should be in bed since I need to get up for work at 5am but this danm heat is just to much. I'm already a hot bodied person and this does not help one bit!! I want to get a window AC unit but all my windows slide side ways!

I don't that is why I'm still up typing this :lol::lol:! It is 87 degrees in my freaking house right now!!!!! I should be in bed since I need to get up for work at 5am but this danm heat is just to much. I'm already a hot bodied person and this does not help one bit!! I want to get a window AC unit but all my windows slide side ways!

My windows all slide sideways too but they do make units for this they just cost way more and are harder to find. Even on the internet I couldn't find a sideways unit that would fit in the window I wanted to put the unit in, so I bought one Home Depot for an up and down window and then just got a sheet of plywood and got tape insulation for around the sides of the plywood. Yea sounds really ghetto but I have the unit on the side of my house that is not visible from the street and my neighbor does not have a window on that side of his house to see it. Inside we just shut the shades all the way down to the a/c unit so the plywood cannot be seen from inside either.

Brian

Last edited:
I'm with you Roscoe just finally starting to cool off..... going to be a rough day at work tomorrow, way past my bed time

ac costs less and you get to enjoy it too

Ditto. I installed a 10K BTU window unit that kept our place under 78F all weekend. Worked great. I won't be firing up the halides regularly on the new 80 gallon until Septmber so I don't know yet how much it will keep he temp down.

Get a regular one and block the upper area with some plexiglass.

Heat pumps, the way to go especially for DIYers that can follow directions.
Affordible equipment, Low cost to run, the install is where th costs are.

Heat pumps, the way to go especially for DIYers that can follow directions.
Affordible equipment, Low cost to run, the install is where th costs are.

I was in Sears two weeks ago and they were having a deal on heat pump installs. I thought no, I don't see a need for that. I am rethinking that now!

If possible, ask around and find a friend/family that could get the equipment wholesale. Buy all the equipment. Do 95% of the install yourself, then hire an HVAC contractor to do the final brazing and filling of the lines, hooking up the controllers, and final balancing of the system.

My entire cost came to just over $4,500 on a 5 ton system with high tech controller and fresh air system. Was an existing bad gas furnace here that also got replaced.
Will entirely pay for itself in a few years in just energy costs. Factor in the comfort, and it is a REAL bargain.

i left this weekend and for got to turn on my ac and came home to a super hot tank dont enen want to say what it was lol where is our rain

These temperatures suck. I have pretty well just gone to VHO only until we get back to "Seattle" weather. Good luck all

Was just talking about ways to stay cool.

That new ballast you have Reed should be cutting down a little bit of heat. Its digital right? The Older magnetic MH ballast create heat in small confined areas. Anything that creates heat is a issue for a reef tank. The Hotter something runs the more energy draw usually when it comes to electriciy.

I would run your lights at night when temps are cooler. Open your canopy to allow air to move through your canopy if your room is cooler.

My chiller is doing the job on my tank but my house is BURNING UP!!!
I have two cheap window AC units and still up to 84 degrees UUGG

My chiller is doing the job on my tank but my house is BURNING UP!!!
I have two cheap window AC units and still up to 84 degrees UUGG

We on the East Side set our chillers outside in covered areas to remove heat from water. If your chiller is inside it is a heat source also.

Was just talking about ways to stay cool.

That new ballast you have Reed should be cutting down a little bit of heat. Its digital right? The Older magnetic MH ballast create heat in small confined areas. Anything that creates heat is a issue for a reef tank. The Hotter something runs the more energy draw usually when it comes to electriciy.

I would run your lights at night when temps are cooler. Open your canopy to allow air to move through your canopy if your room is cooler.
I'm not even running the halides right now Ed. Too hot. My canopy if open on top so all the heat goes strait up and out. The house cooled down to 79 degrees by this morning, though I am sure it is right back up into the 80s by now. If I could go into work at a later time and still get parking I could cool the house, but when you get up at 5 to get a parking space anything after about 10PM is rough.

Box fans and open cabinet doors tends to help me a lot. If it gets too bad I will freeze some 2L bottles of water. Worked great in the past.

I took a late lunch break today and drove home (only 10 miles) to check ont eh tanks. The temp in the house was only up to 78 degrees, and both tanks were doing okay. I placed a ziplock bag of RO/DI ice in the sump of my SPS tank. That should have helped out a little.

I am not looking forward to 90+ degrees later this week. I am tempted to buy a portable AC uniit tonight. If there are any available in stores, they will likely disappear pretty quickly once we hit 90 degrees.

g

I took a late lunch break today and drove home (only 10 miles) to check ont eh tanks. The temp in the house was only up to 78 degrees, and both tanks were doing okay. I placed a ziplock bag of RO/DI ice in the sump of my SPS tank. That should have helped out a little.

I am not looking forward to 90+ degrees later this week. I am tempted to buy a portable AC uniit tonight. If there are any available in stores, they will likely disappear pretty quickly once we hit 90 degrees.

g

Once we hit 90? It is 98 degrees here in Spannaway right now and it is 88 degrees in my house! My 40 only has the PCs on and the temp is at 81 degrees with 2 small fans blowing at the water's surface. My 270 is 82 degrees. It seems to never go over that even with all 3 halides on which I don't need them on because I barely have any corals in there. Time to unplug the 400 until we get back to the regular seattle temp!

Last edited:
Just picked up a portable AC unit hopefully that will help with the tank temps. Changed my lighting schedule to adjust for the upcoming hot days. Already went through 6 frozen wa bottles and it is still hovering around 84.

Back