Seattle to hot 90º this week

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I wonder if tossing ice packs made for lunch boxes might work better? Is that stuff inside them designed to retain the cold temps longer than water? I think its a blue jelly type stuff.

I wonder if tossing ice packs made for lunch boxes might work better? Is that stuff inside them designed to retain the cold temps longer than water? I think its a blue jelly type stuff.

put them in ziplock bags, just to be safe.

O.M.G.

Have you looked at the weather prediction for the next 3 days !!!

Bothell Tuesday 93º// Wensday 98º// Thursday 94º//Friday's a nice cool 87º

Get a regular one and block the upper area with some plexiglass.

or use a sheet of rigid insulation from the home store.

+it cuts easier (just a knife or utility knife)
+has higher R-value insulation (to keep the cool in)
+blocks out the sunlight (keeps out those scorching rays outside)

I have a chiller but I refuse to let it run(I think my roommates may actually kill me if I let it run). My apartment is on the south side of the building, on the top floor, with a flat roof. No matter what I do, the temperature in here is 1-4degrees warmer inside. Today it got to 93. If I let the chiller run, omg.... It would be 105+. Ive made do with a powerful fan aimed at the surface, but even with lights only running for 3 hours, my tank still got 2 degrees warmer then usual(82 vs 80). I am terrified of Wednesday... I can't install an AC unit here either do to my limited amount of circuits, and the largeness of the area I would be attempting to cool. This sucks!

O.M.G.

Have you looked at the weather prediction for the next 3 days !!!

Bothell Tuesday 93º// Wensday 98º// Thursday 94º//Friday's a nice cool 87º

Ugh! I can't wait for this phase of summer to pass. I hate this 1-2 week hot spell we get. Every store sells out of AC units and then the heat is gone and I think...well, don't need it anyway. Until the next year when I am sitting in a pool of sweat and trying to get the tank to stay under 84 degrees while the house is at 86. Tough to do with fans. Come on Fall!!!!

I now have six RO/DI ziplock bags in the freezer. When I use one, I fill up another one so I do not run out of them. However, they melt allot faster than they freeze. :)

Tonight at around 8:00 PM, the power went out for about 10-15 seconds. thankfully, it came back on. :shock: The Mag 5 pump on my skimmer would not restart, so I had to clean it. The impeller had calcified, but some warm vinegar took care of that. My Koralia Nanos need to be cleaned up as well. I'll take care of that tomorrow night.

Its still 80 degrees in the house, and about 75 degrees outside. We have fans blowing in a couple of our windows to flush out the hot air and to bring in cooler air. Hopefully, we can get the house down to 70 degrees tonight or lower. I plan to stop at home during lunchbreak to add an RO/DI ice bag to the tanks as needed. I'm just doing what I can to make it through the heat wave.

g

I am so glad I have an air conditioner in the room where my tank is.
Leaving the canopy open and with fans my tank is unaffected But I know others are.
My house is not all air conditioned so I tend to stay in that room this time of the year.
Hard to sleep when it gets this hot ! We may even use our blow up mattress and sleep in there for the next few nights as it looks like it may be to hot to sleep.

Man I lost a TLC wall hammer that was turning around in my tank today. My tank has been hanging at 86 degrees during the hottest point of the day and when light out arrives my tank spikes to 88!!!

I dunno what to do, its only a 20 gallon I have been using frozen water bottles in the sump but its not making a dent How long can my corals make it without light? I have 98 watts of VHO T5 on top of it, all heaters are unplugged in the house, reptile lights are off and fans are running 24/7

I'm in a bad situation right now. I get morning day light through the slider and evening sun through my bedroom window. I usually drop the temp in my top floor condo as much as I can during the night time in try to seal that in during the day. If I walk into my 650 squarefoot house for more then an hour the temp inside goes up by two degrees. This is insane.

any ideas?

I have been doing:
ice in the sump
all heaters unplugged
no lights on any tanks (except UVA for bearded dragons and the SW tank lights)
fans going all day long

I can't afford an AC unit or a chiller. I tried to do a swamp cooler setup(ice blocks and fans) in the condo and the effects were minimal

Last edited:
Man I lost a TLC wall hammer that was turning around in my tank today. My tank has been hanging at 86 degrees during the hottest point of the day and when light out arrives my tank spikes to 88!!!

I dunno what to do, its only a 20 gallon I have been using frozen water bottles in the sump but its not making a dent How long can my corals make it without light? I have 98 watts of VHO T5 on top of it, all heaters are unplugged in the house, reptile lights are off and fans are running 24/7

I'm in a bad situation right now. I get morning day light through the slider and evening sun through my bedroom window. I usually drop the temp in my top floor condo as much as I can during the night time in try to seal that in during the day. If I walk into my 650 squarefoot house for more then an hour the temp inside goes up by two degrees. This is insane.

any ideas?

I have been doing:
ice in the sump
all heaters unplugged
no lights on any tanks (except UVA for bearded dragons and the SW tank lights)
fans going all day long

I can't afford an AC unit or a chiller. I tried to do a swamp cooler setup(ice blocks and fans) in the condo and the effects were minimal

Try freezing newly made salt water one gallon at a time then do a one gallon water change every couple hours. ??? Or get a cooler full of ice and pump your return through it with exrtra poly tubing. We used to keep our kegs cold this way.

The forecast for Lynnwood/Edmonds changed and its supposed to hit 94 rather than 88. The house did not cool down as much overnight - just to 74 degrees. So this morning I started four more RO/DI freezer bags.

I'll stop by at home at lunchtime and add some icebags to the tanks. This may be a light-free day, and tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter. Just gotta make it through the week, one day at a time.

g

The forecast for Lynnwood/Edmonds changed and its supposed to hit 94 rather than 88. The house did not cool down as much overnight - just to 74 degrees. So this morning I started four more RO/DI freezer bags.

I'll stop by at home at lunchtime and add some icebags to the tanks. This may be a light-free day, and tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter. Just gotta make it through the week, one day at a time.

g
Say it aint so!!!! I put a couple bottles of water in the freezer last night for today. One day at a time. This will be day 5 without halides, but the corals look OK. I call it storm season in my reef.

Last week my SPS tank went without halides - just VHO's while we were on vacation in Indianapolis. This will be anohter week with reduced lighting, but everyone in the tanks seems to be doing okay.

g

The tank can go a LOT longer than a few days in near darkness.
If it is a choise betwen cooked or slightly browned out, aim for the color loss.
Try fans and frozen saltwater or ice bags, but if that doesn't do it...
Lights out if the tank gets too hot!!!!!

Yes I've shut dow3n my 400w over the 270 and only running PCs in the 40b. That along with bottled ice and fans. My temps has yet to climb over 82 degrees even when my room temp is 90 degrees. I might end up completely letting the 40b go with no lights. Like mike said loose the color or cook your corals. Too much money in the tank to loose them completly. Colors will bounce back in a couple weeks. At least in my tank.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the other posts....I always choose brown rather than white when it comes to color. I've had both and I know I like brown better. ;)

Back