Seattle to hot 90º this week

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What sucks is I used to own an AC before I moved in to this apartment, but the living room is the where I would have to put it, and there is only one circuit for the whole room =( That one circuit runs my 120xl, my entertainment center(with a power hungry plasma to boot), and two computer. No watts left for an AC =( Currently its 96 in here and the tank is sitting at 81.5 with the use of a fan and some rodi ice blocks. *crosses fingers*

I would just run an extention cord from a different circut for a couple weeks

I love Hansville. I left Seattle at 4 and the car registered the exterior temp at 107. I got home at 6 and the outdoor temp was 78. I'm sure it didn't get above mid 80's here today. I love Hansville.

91 in my house...

screw it...ive made reservations at a residence inn for fri-sund...my son's condition warrants that he not get over heated as seizures will occur..luckily i made these last nite...i had a feeling hotels would be getting busier.

i ran 2 chillers(finally i got to use my back up one) for my sytem just to keep it 79.4 in my 101 garage door crack open,,what a b%$#..

Last edited:
Well, it's 10pm, and we hust took our 2yr old and our dog and our cats out in the yard to play in the sprinkler. And it felt niiice. Flipping 10 o'clock!! This is nuts. Feels like Vegas. We have a 12k btu running nonstop for 3 days, and our house is 78deg. Atleast the tanks ok at 79. But we're sleeping in the living room under the a/c, cuz our room is about 100degrees. Ugh...

It looks liike one more day of 90 degree weather, then some clouds are supposed to roll in and help to drop the high temps into the mid to high eighties. Thankfully I was able to buy a chiller last night. Best $200 I spent in a long time.

Now we are trying to make the house comfortable for the people, too. Heat like this reminds me of the extra 30 pounds of insulation I am carrying around my middle. Earlier tonight I was watering our gardens and had sweat pouring off my head. Its not like watering plants is very strenuous, either. I gotta lose some weight!

g

I'm toying with the idea of taking the idea behind the DIY AC fan and just running a thin tube dipped through the sump, connected to some copper tubing, which then connects to a cooler full of ice, which is pumped through the afore-mentioned rubber/vinyl tubing. All in all, it would probably be cheaper to do the iced water bottle method, but I figure this would be less hassle once it were set up. These tanks are crawling into the 90s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR9CA8lJGvs

I hope you guys cool down soon, Well keep cool Im off to buy new wipers for my truck...Yesturday more rain and even a EF2 tornado in the Pocono's and in a town called Tunkhannock both around 20 to 25 minutes from me... I think I need a bigger dehumidafier....

I about crapped my pants last night when our power went out at 530 pm.
I was out or almost 90 mins.
A power line sagged and touched a lower one..
I was sweating bullets Thought my goodies were gone.

I'm toying with the idea of taking the idea behind the DIY AC fan and just running a thin tube dipped through the sump, connected to some copper tubing, which then connects to a cooler full of ice, which is pumped through the afore-mentioned rubber/vinyl tubing. All in all, it would probably be cheaper to do the iced water bottle method, but I figure this would be less hassle once it were set up. These tanks are crawling into the 90s!

Welcome to RF!
Cute video but it defies physics. The fan can not blow air any cooler than the temp of the water which will become higher than the ambient temp due to friction and the pump. It is actually a room heater.
Now if you had water dripping out of the coil, would make an OK swamp cooler. Or, if kept adding ice to the pail, that would do a little cooling too, but better just having the fan blow across the ice. This was the first type refrigeration, the Ice man.

Time to invest in a generator?

We plan to buy one, probably it would be better to get one sooner rather than later.

I hope you were joking about pushing water through copper tubing. Saltwater will eat through copper and leave copper in your tank. I hope I caught you. I hate to hear of another incident with copper.

My tank was hovering around 84-85 the last few days. Yesterday I filled 8-2 liter bottles with water and froze them over night. I put 4 in the tank this morning and dropped the temp from 82 to 80 in about half an hour, with some ice still remaining in the bottles. I had to float 2 of them in the tank as the sump wasn't big enough for all 4. Hopefully it should stay a lot cooler in the tank today. I'll have 4 more frozen bottles to pop in when I get home tonight.

have the halides on for the first time in several days. Man I've missed that, but the corals look ok and that is good. I'm sure glad it decided o cool down tonight so I have a chance to cool the house. Thank you for the break Mother Nature! Hope everyone else is fairing OK

Man that night freaked me out.
Before power went out my 29 was at 80 degrees with in that 90 mins my tank went up to 85. and thats with me putting iced containers of RO water in the sump

everything OK here...the highest temp my tank ever got was 83.7...and this was on the day we set the all time record for heat...103.....so I think I am pretty safe to say, my tank will not need a chiller...as long as the dual fans on the tank top AND the attic fan work..i should be good to go.

Back