seeking other opinions.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
RIght now I am sitting at around 5000 gph flow in my 180. I am adding 2 more K4's within the week. I am still getting RIDICULOUS deadspots no matter how I move the closed loops around. I am curious if it could be the way I have it aquascaped? I have a very open "Airy" aquascape I think with lots of caves and arches. I want nice flow with no DEAD spots, but a lagoon type area for Zoos to grow.

Perhaps give my advice on the placement of the K4's? Or Aquascaping experience. I can use less rock if I need to open it up obviously.

Here is my aquscaping dry....

DSCN1835.jpg

Your aquascaping looks pretty well opened up; don't think reducing the amount of rock is the answer. Where exactly are the dead spots? If I was going to add two K4s to the mix there, I'd put them on the sides against the back down lowish (lower than the Korallia in the pic) blasting towards the overflow box. I do that in my 120 and the current hits the back and OF box and bounces/rolls out through the rock and up the back.

OK I'll try that. I am going to use the K4's for a bit while I save for vortechs.....after the wedding...

The dead spots are along the back....and the back corners.

ditto on Vortechs... I am saving up for a couple of MP40s with battery backup too! Everything I hear about them is good, except for the price! I am hoping the reported wider flow will reduce dead zones as well.

Yeah I would agree about the vortechs they are just not in the financial pic right now. I need the tank to at least work for what's in there. The nano is pretty full growing other stuff out.

vortechs are awesome totally worth the money im also saving up for another mp40, i would reduce the LR a little bit and place the k4s a little lower than the others.

on my my 52 cube i run 2 mp10 vortechs and have no deadspots. Get the vortechs if your able you wont be disappointed

I would say even if you put them in the back facing the front so that you could force the water through the live rock. I would also put one down along the bottom facing behind the rock structures this way you have good flow all the way through.

buy the algae free maxi jet mods. they have two impellars. the bigger one fits perfect inside the k4. will turn your k4 into 3200gph

Back