seio 2600 killing fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

volivier

I added two seio 2600's to my tank last month and I've saved my large foxface from the thing and just pulled a dead clown tang about the size of a business card off it. how can I guard this pump so i don't catch more fish? The sps are loving the addition though, I put them on each end and my existing seio 820, and 3 620's on the back facing frontward. Should I move the seio's into different locations?

Last edited:
what size tank is this?
I bet that the fish would be safer if you put the covers back on the pumps, I know they are so much bigger with them but it should do the trick, you could also kick the flow rate back a little and see if that helps..

Hope this helps..

Matt

I have 2 2600s and can't understand how any live fish could get stuck to it. When stripped of all it's snap-on plastic directional extra housing, it's input is slitted and all around the large cylindrical exhaust head. Do you have a covering on the power end?

placement

I added two seio 2600's to my tank last month and I've saved my large foxface from the thing and just pulled a dead clown tang about the size of a business card off it. how can I guard this pump so i don't catch more fish? The sps are loving the addition though, I put them on each end and my existing seio 820, and 3 620's on the back facing frontward. Should I move the seio's into different locations?

are they placed good in my 135 gal oceanic tank?

I would take the bottom elbow jets off and remount them on the brackets pointing out in lieu of down. The 90 degree turn costs you power and might be the cause of your fish loss. Their location is fine, after stripping them down, point them closer to the front if too much power. Mine are directly at the corals from both ends.

stuck

I have 2 2600s and can't understand how any live fish could get stuck to it. When stripped of all it's snap-on plastic directional extra housing, it's input is slitted and all around the large cylindrical exhaust head. Do you have a covering on the power end?

they just got stuck to the slits where the water is sucked into the pump and couldn't pull free. that is why I added the "sleeves" last night, i'm sure i'm loosing flow but that is better than pulling fish into it.

I don't understand how a healthy fish could get sucked into it either, but they are healthy, eating, growing, swimming around. Don't act sickly at all.

Where these new fish added recenetly? clown tangs alot from the PI are weak fish to start out with until they settle down and start to eat well. If they eat and live well.

I have one in a 180 in a corner without the cover so it's pushing straight and the circular slip fit cover was also taken off . I have had no problems with 2 clown goies or othe small or larger fish this way .

I lost a cuke & a cleaner shrimp to the intake of a 1500 so it can happen to perfectly healthy fish and inverts....just need to be careful with placement and maybe creative in devising an intake cover to defuse the suction.

I'm following along on this thread since I just put a SEIO 2600 in my 75 gallon. I had it mounted horizontally (Like a Tunze) and it put out so much flow it scared me...lol. I worried about the same thing, fish getting sucked against the barrel intakes and getting stuck. Since then, I've put the housing back on and mounted it vertically. Seems to cut down a lil' on flow and not as dangerous to the fish. I'm thinking the 2600 may be a tad big for a 75...lol. Any opinions?

I have an 80 gallon with 2 SEIO 1100 and 1500, originally tried to use 2600 but too strong if set up like a tunze. Seems that the cage and discharge adapeter does decrease flow If I had to guess maybe about 15%. The 1100 and 1500 are now set on the controller to come on high every 30 min. and low 30 min. Now very happy!

Well, I've just got the 2600 blowing from right, back corner towards front, center glass. I've also got a couple MJ1200s aimed at the SEIO flow to break it up. I originally had it on the right side blowing all the way across the tank. That's when it was set up horizontally though. (Tunze style)

That is awkward that the fish got stuck to your pump, i would think the fish were weak to begin with, a strong fish should not get trapped on a power head like that.

I was thinking hte same thing as Zoos. A healthy, decent sized fish shouldn't beable to be sucked in by a large sieo, especially a fish that is a strong swimmer like a clown tang or a foxface. Perhaps something is going on with their nutrition? a clown goby... perhaps i could see as it is not the best swimmer but a strong tang or foxface shouldnt have any problems normally=/

Is it the pump that caused the ribbon eel to die? Ribbon eel are very difficult to keep. I heard that maybe 1 and 50 live.
I have been doing this for 20 years and have only seen one do well in captivity and it was in a tank made for eels. lots of coverage

Back