Shane's DIY LED Project with lots of help!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shane and John

father and son
Ok guys, sorry to dominate the other thread. Let's hear your Ideas Mike.

Eric, will you please look at Mikes suggestions and chime in here as well..thanks again for all the help.

My head is spinning...

OK Shane for the sake of others that might look at this down the road put up your tank size and shape. I have to go out for a bit so I will look to put it together over this weekend.

Mike

And I can come down to your place anytime from later this afternoon through the weekend to help you through some of the basics so you have an understanding of all the parts and pieces as Mike is creating. Make sure you state your kelvin preference with your tank specs as well so the led color count works out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jeff, congrats on your build as well. Between you and Eric, Skimmy and his Build, and now Mike with his help, I am totally Stoked to get this thing going:)

Now, for the specs of what we are building.

We have a 34 gallon Solana. 20"x20"x20" cube tank. It currently has T-5 lighting. The fixture is just over a year old and the bulbs will need to be replaced within the next few months. The question was, do I buy new bulbs, or use that money plus some to switch to LED's. I have Experiance with LED's, I ran them on my 120 gallon system that I have since sold due to right Knee replacement. I am looking to run my lights at the 18k - 20 k spectrum. I really like a more blue look on my tanks. I have NO plans to upgrade to a larger system. The Solana is perfect for me. Large enough to keep Nice Corals, but small enough to easily maintain using High end Equiptment.

We keep SPS and LPS in this tank. We want a lighting system to make our corals colors POP, while still maintaining good growth and health.

I am not technically savvy and have very few tools here at Home. So with that said, I have had a fellow member,Eric(EWW), reach put to me and offer to guide me thru the planning stages, help me with the supply list, and actually work with me on building this fixture. How lucky am I..

So here we are, the planning stage!

I run an open top and have my fixture on Legs. I like the look and want my new fixture to look just as nice, if not better. I can't hang from the ceiling and the tank is so close to the wall that there is no room to try to fit a hanging bracket mounted to the stand behind it.

I really don't want to Gut my current fixture so have been looking for a Shell, or even a fixture to gut and use. I have a few leads but nothing solid yet.

This is where I am currently on this project. Thanks for looking and thanks for all of your input and Ideas.

Thank you to the great members here at R.F. With out you this Idea would not be happening..:)

Last edited:
Eric, this weekend sounds good. Today is my 16 year wedding anniversary so I will be dedicating my time today to my beautiful wife. Gotta keep momma happy!! When momma ain't happy, no one is happy...lol

I will shoot you a PM with my number and we can chat. Do you still remember where I live? It's been a few years since you were here. Wow, time flies!!!

Yep. We know right where you are. Happy Anniversary to you and your wife.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Happy anniversary! I'm tagging along, as I will be starting my build any day here, waiting on the good old IRS to make this deposit..

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Rukis, well congrats on your build as well..make a thread and post some pics. I will be sure to stop buy and check it out.
BTW, I absolutely love your signature, being a parent as well, I can relate!!

Well I am really stoked now!! Today I got to view Eric's LED build and I am absolutely in AWW of what I saw. I know I will be more than happy with the results of this project. Quality workmanship at its best!!!

We will be using reef led lights I believe. 24 3 watt Crees with a mix of colors. I think Meanwell but I am not positive.

18 " heatsinks with the shell that they sell for 60$. I have decided to use a controller after seeing how simple Eric's is to use. Much more controll than I ever had with my PAC SUN units.

Majoreef (Mike). I am eagerly awaiting your input. When you have a few minutes would you post your thoughts on color ratio and what components you think will work best for my build.

Eric gave me his suggestion but said we should listen to what your thoughts are!!!!

I really do prefer a more blue look. I was running my PAC SUNS at about 18.5k. My taste may change being this is so much smaller of a tank though.

Thanks for your input here. :)

Yea I am kind of working on it shane, but a i got a couple just ahead of you, so hopefully today. On the color thing it doesnt pertain to much as your going to have the ability to dial that in as you want. Anyway getting close buddy.

Mike

Mike, no pressure at all....please don't take it that I was rushing you. I just really respect what you have to say. Eric and Becca told me that you are the cutting edge on this subject and I value your input.

I get very eager when I get focused on a task at hand. I am still learning patience..:)

LOL "Cutting Edge" ???????????????????? no chance their my friend, just have an understanding from doing a bunch and talking to other members and sponsors. We will get somehting together for ya.

Mike

Ok its funny but the smaller they are the harder they are to pattern, balance and so on. So with the understanding that you want the light to lean heavy to the bluer spectrum and that you want some type of control for dawn and dusk this is what I have come up with. So a 18 inch fixture using the reefledlights housing with fan.

shanes.jpg

12 x CREE XP-G R5 3W COOL WHITES
12 X CREE XP-E 3W BLUES
18 X CREE XP-T 3W ROYAL BLUES
4 X pHILIPS? 3W VIOLETS (from rapid led)
2 x PHILIPS REBAL CYAN 3W (from rapid led)
2 x ELN 60-48D DRIVERS
48 CARCLO WIDE RIPPLE OPTICS AND HOLDERS
4 FUSES
4 RESISTORS
2 LEVITON PLUGS
1 REEF OPTICS HOUSING WITH THE TWO FAN OPTION

Wiring concept:
Driver 1 would have two strings run in parallel each having a fuse and resistor inline. Line one would have 12 cool whites and line two would have blues. The driver should be tuned to 700ma
Driver 2 will have two strings run in parallel each having a fuse and a resistor inline. Line one and line two will each have 9 Royal blues, 2 violets and 1 cyan per. This driver will have to be run at 500ma, which is under driving the blues but I feel you have more then enough to conpensate.

Hope it helps

Mike

Wow, you got you some MADD skills Player!!!

This looks like it will be a Sick fixture when it's built!!!

I really like the color blend you have diagramed. I will now go thru the vendors site and get a price list going on the materials.This will help me gauge when I can actually get the parts ordered and get started.

I have made a post to the vendors in their forum, and hopefully they will answer my questions soon.

Hopefully Eric will view this post, because I have no clue when it comes to wiring this...UGG. He did say it would be easy and he will guide me thru the whole process...I am very excited to learn!!!!

Thank you for taking YOUR time to help me out. I really do appreciate it a lot. Thank you for your help with the flash problem I am having with my IPad. It looks like my easiest fix is to set up a Photobucket account and upload the pics that way!!

Now I just have to get that figured out. Its a good thing my son is Smart, because I am kind of computer illiterate...lol

Thanks again. Shane:)

Mike, no pressure at all....please don't take it that I was rushing you. I just really respect what you have to say. Eric and Becca told me that you are the cutting edge on this subject and I value your input.

I get very eager when I get focused on a task at hand. I am still learning patience..:)

If you have had the pleasure of working with Mike on any type of build project, Edge and cutting take on a whole new perspective!!!! LOL

You guys are in good hands. I had Mike design my led system for my up coming 220+ build. He did an outstanding job... I think. I havent seen it drawn up yet.. LOL But the parts are on the way... I think. Well most of them. I think.
I think I'll give Mike a call LOL

Peppie. Well thanks for the words of encouragement.:)

I would love to sit down and chat with you one day. I hear we have some things in common. I have worked in the hardwood industry since I ws 18, and have an appreciation for quality craftsmanship. I was able to see Eric and Becca's Tank and Stand. You did an amazing Job on the build. I wish I would have been more involved with R/F when you guys were doing the project.

I can get any exotic species you ever need. The figured maple in the doors looks amazing. They told me you even went back to get another flitch so it could be color matched. Soft Maple does vary in color a lot, and you did an amazing job matching it!!

Kudos to you :)

Back