Shane's DIY LED Project with lots of help!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie. Well thanks for the words of encouragement.:)

I would love to sit down and chat with you one day. I hear we have some things in common. I have worked in the hardwood industry since I ws 18, and have an appreciation for quality craftsmanship. I was able to see Eric and Becca's Tank and Stand. You did an amazing Job on the build. I wish I would have been more involved with R/F when you guys were doing the project.

I can get any exotic species you ever need. The figured maple in the doors looks amazing. They told me you even went back to get another flitch so it could be color matched. Soft Maple does vary in color a lot, and you did an amazing job matching it!!

Kudos to you :)

Thanks so much Shane,
I am a wood hound at heart. LOL Now a days I rarely build a piece without some type of figured wood incorporated into it. It may cost more, but well worth it to me.
I am excited to have another good wood source. Quality figured wood is sometimes hard to find.
I will shoot you a PM with my # and we can chat.

Well just to Update the thread a little bit. I have figured out the list of all required materials, With help of course.:)

I should be able to make an order for parts by April 15.
I would normally just place it and go, but the medical bills are rolling in now for the surgery. I will get these in check first, then I can play..:):):)

I will be using exactly what Mojoreef (Mike) listed in his designe post. I am looking for the 18-20 k spectrum because I enjoy the more blue look on my tank!!

I have decided to use a controller after all.

I personally saw Eric's (eww) system and I want to use the same controller that he is using.

I am now getting pounded with the total medical costs due to the surgery. I am now working to get the financial aspect of the build together. So far to date, I owe over 8 thousand out of my pocket and I know there is more to come. 20% is my responsibility and the insurance covers the rest.

I am trying to be responsible with these bills, but at the same time, be able to enjoy this hobby I am so passionate about.

It will all work out, maybe just not as soon as I had hoped!!!

Just some of my input from my latest LED redesign build. IMO the normal blues can easily overpower and wash out an LED setup resembling the look of windex. I just recently used 2 blues in my 46 total LED setup and noticed that around 90% of 1 Amp, they start to become too much, so i can only imagine how dominating 12 of them would be in this particular setup.

I'd also consider swapping 4 of the cool whites for neutrals for a broader range. I wouldn't go more than that before it starts messing with your intended 20k look.

If you could fit more Violets i would go for it. Since they are hard to see with the eyes, they don't change the overall color temperature of the tank. In the end, your corals just simply stand out much more, especially Acroporas.

Lastly, I don't know how you feel about DIY LED's in general, but i can't stand disco fever all over my sand bed and rock work. The second i turned my DIY fixture on a year ago i was immediately disappointed as it does not look natural at all. I would get a sand diffusion filter and stick it onto an acrylic shield. I wish someone found this solution earlier but better late than never. Thankfully someone on Nano-Reef already took par loss measurements and found <5% average loss. That's a small price to pay for no headache. Important thing to note is that the filter reduces the amount of shimmer. This is a bad thing if you love that intense crazy rippling shimmer. Good thing if you want some shimmer with almost perfect color blending. At ~$7.00 + shipping, it's a cheap modification that i would gladly pay $50.00 if that's what it costed to fix this issue.

DC Fix Contact Paper - Transparent Group

If you don't think the filter is for you, you might reconsider after you've turned your new fixture on with it's new 2-4 Red LED's. When using so few of these LED's spread apart on a fixture, the disco effect reaches a whole new level.

So these are some of my own observations and suggestions. I understand looks are very subjective so these suggestions may not apply to you.

Jon

Jon, thank you for your post. I have honestly never experiances the disco effect. I have only had 1 LED set up to base that on though!!

Before I pull the trigger on buying the materials, I will research the violets as you have mentioned.

It's going to be a bit before I can Justify this new toy, based on the way the Medical rills are rolling in..:(

Hopefully it won't be to much longer though!! :)

just want to jump in with the ride. Been using 36 cree on my 75 gallon mixed since Dec 2010. I would love to see the progress. If you want something to read about DIY on LED, visit my build here at RF or RC or just google my website, caddnima.... It should be easy to find.. Congrats, and your lucky to have good people here supporting you.

Hey there!! Thank you for visiting my thread. I am very excited to get this project going. I have the plan, the materials list, and the expert guidance that I need. Money is the only thing that's in my way!!

My plan was to place the order for the materials by now, however, this knee replacement is not cooperating with me like I had hoped.

I have been battling yet another round of infection and this time it's been bad. I now have the infection under controll but am facing another hospital stay:(

I have taken so many very strong antibiotics that my body is now depleted of all of my good bacteria. Because of this, I have accumulated MORE unexpected bills setting my build time back.

Hopefully soon I can get my bills in check and get myself healthy. I think this build had been good for my mind,keeping me occupied and giving me something to look forward to.

I am very excited and very thankfully for all of the help and support I have received. I have been doing lots of reading and have been educating myself on the process!!

Life is good, attitude is everything, and a positive outlook with get me a long way..:)

I guess I should update this thread. I am still wanting led's for this tank badly:)

I have had a few complications with infection and this is taking way longer that it should to be healed. I have finally found a New Doctor to treat the infection. It's working but slowly. I will have to wait awhile longer for the lights, but Atleast the tank is doing well:)

I guess I should update this thread. I am still wanting led's for this tank badly:)

I have had a few complications with infection and this is taking way longer that it should to be healed. I have finally found a New Doctor to treat the infection. It's working but slowly. I will have to wait awhile longer for the lights, but Atleast the tank is doing well:)

Shane - I am glad to hear your getting that infection treated by another doctor. I know how badly you want the LED's, but your health is far more important my friend!

Jeff, you are right. I believe I am finally on the right track. I have to have my health to be able to enjoy the hobby!!

Keep up the good work on your build, I am following:)

shanestable010.jpg

shanestable009.jpg

shanestable007.jpg

shanestable003.jpg

Thr colors look good on the door panels. not to sure about the side panels, I think I have some birch ply.

Wow Dave, you amaze me!! I Love it. I have some goodies for you already. I spent some time in the mill yesterday with my guys and they have an understanding of what we are looking for as far as lumber goes. I also have some pics to show you when I get the stand. Remind me!!! Some unique Fancy Vaneers :)

Are the veneers from your place down south? Is there a link or a site I can look on? I hate to see a unique piece slip thru my hands. LOL
Thanks for letting your guys know my tastes. I got to thinking about the Birdseye and I think I have enough of that for the time being.

I did find a piece of birch ply. It should color up better than the mahogany.

Just wondering if you plan on running a sump with your new nano? I could weld one up to fit your stand while it is here. Just a thought.

Peppie, Well we have a few pcs of Birds Eye already off to the side:) I will tell them to let the rest go! Yes, these are from down south. PM me your e-mail addy and I will send you some eye candy.

I will not need a sump but I might like to try to re-vamp the media basket.

I will just have to Trust your Judgement. I guarantee I will be more than happy with the results. :) Thank you again so much!!

Hello,
Sorry to hear your not well my prayers are with you:)
That's a nice cabinet!

I built some stands and canopies out of all kinds of wood Knotted Oak, Walnut amoung others. Walnut stands look really nice and no one does them:) Just my two cents.

Best to you:)

Spinner, thank you for your kind words!! I am doing much better and every day has its progression. I do agree with you, Walnut is a great choice :)

Back