Share your ideas on the ideal Frag tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Hi gang,

I am thinking about setting up my first frag tank. Since this will be a first for me, I'd love to hear what works and what doesn't work for you. Also if you know of any good threads like this that have already been started, please don't hesitate to post a link or two.

Here is the equipment I have on hand.

20g long glass
10g long glass
250w double end reflector
egg crate
couple maxis
Prizm skimmer

I was thinking I might like to have the ability to tap it right into my existing system for temp, water quality, stability issues. But.. I'd also maybe like to have the ability to isolate the system if I ever needed to for say treatments, QT. Has anyone succesfully done this and if so, can you share your ideas. Thanks in advance for any help:)

Ben

ready for a lamo drawing? :):):)

1682608113_b028d49f53_o.jpg

Description of what I'm thinking:
  • two bulkheads drilled on each side towards the top of the tank. The drain would have a drain screen on it.
  • frag rack made of egg crate supported by PVC legs in about the middle of the tank
  • one maxijet on the bottom (illustrated by black box w/ pink arrow) to try to create a bit of a barreling effect.

Would love any feedback you're willing to provide.

I do not have a frag tank, but would like to offer a thought. If it were my frag tank I would make it its own system, 20 gal for frags and 10 for the sump. It would spread the risk of problems between two systems. If you decided to plumb the two systems together for stability and say, use valve's to separate the two systems for treatment, wouldn't the water in the plumbing become stagnant during treatment/QT? On the other hand, If plumbed to the display it could make for convenient maintenance as a whole.

I would set up the 20 with the 10g as sump.
The ability to have two seperate systems >>> greater stability on frag tank

There is defenitly a bit of extra work in terms of maintaining two seperate systems, but it has its perks. If things start going south on you, you can frag things and put some of the frags in the seperate system. If your coral starts doing better in the other system, then you know its your main that needs tweaking. An excellent diagnostic tool that truly can not be replaced.

I only wish my QT tank wasnt full of LR at the moment. I would love to be able to put some of my STNing coral frags in a seperate system.

These guys above have some great points. Although, I have a separate frag system and am tired of have the extra work maintaining two reef tanks. I find the Cons far out weigh the Pros after six months. I cant wait until I can afford to turn the two large systems into one very large system.
Pros:
  • The ability to QT at a moments notice
  • If a coral is doing poorly in one system you can put it into another and hope it does better
  • If one system crashes you have a back up with baby frags or can save as many colonies as possible with the second system
Cons:
  • WC's on two systems resulting in extra salt costs
  • More electrical costs due to extra heating, cooling, skimming
  • Double testing for alk, Ca. etc...
  • Double dosing
  • Extra equipment or extra time for top off
  • In your case, A 30G system (in the garage) will likely be a cooling nightmare in the summer
  • Two systems is two times the stress when things aren't perfect
  • Since the second system isnt the pride and joy of the house, it tends to be neglected just a little bit more than the display and will be set up with leftover, substandard equipment, this will likely result in bigger temp swings alk/Ca fluctuations etc. resulting in less healthy corals in the long run
I could go on and on. Having a second reef has taken some of the fun out of the hobby for me.
I cherish the idea of having one large system with a frag tank tied to it. Then with the turn of a ball valve, and the addition of a small skimmer, heater and fan, you then have a second system when a QT is necessary.
Of course, this is JMHO

Last edited:
interesting points gang. Long term I think I want the option to both hook it up to the main system in times of stability and then be able to take it off line as necessary for treatments

Has anyone succesfully done this that can share pointers/ideas?

Thanks,
Ben

Soooo......
My dream frag system will be tied to the main system for stability and less maintanance. It will have a couple ball valves so I can easily separate it from the main system with the turn of a valve and the addition of a HOB skimmer, a heater, and a cooling fan. It will have a single MH with a 12 or 14K light and no actinics to save on electricity and bulb replacement costs. Simple and effective

dood that's awesome you're thinking about a frag tank :D, you're gonna save yourself some pain in the future :p :) .
i don't know about the prizm skimmer but may be modding it hehe (i know mark skimmer whisperer said there's some mod that people can do to it olr at least i think he was gonna try :p), definetly PUD is gonna like you for having another tank :lol: .
by the way don't forget to think about a chiller (unless you already got one :) )

Soooo......
My dream frag system will be tied to the main system for stability and less maintanance. It will have a couple ball valves so I can easily separate it from the main system with the turn of a valve and the addition of a HOB skimmer, a heater, and a cooling fan. It will have a single MH with a 12 or 14K light and no actinics to save on electricity and bulb replacement costs. Simple and effective

that sounds like a good idea dood :) :D

I would probably spend the money on a remora or something along those lines...I have a prizm on my 15g and it doesnt do anything but oxygenate my water! :)

Thanks guys. Yes, energy conservation is a concern. since I setup my new tank, I'm +$100 every billing cycle now (every 2 mos). The PUD loves me for it, but of course my wife and pocketbook do not.

I think for the time being, if I'm mostly going to run it tapped into my existing system, my existing skimmer should skim mostly. so for now, I'll keep the lamo prizm for aeration::cool:.

Any ideas you guys have on how to tie this into my main system using as little energy as possible? I was thinking I could just tap this into the main overflow line of my main tank, but I have major water pressure coming down and also major bubbles, so the overflow doesn't sound so great. my only real option is to run another pump out of the sump to the frag tank isn't it?

To save energy... could you place the frag tank at the same level as the sump, plumbing the two together and letting the prizm and maxi's do thier thing?

To save energy... could you place the frag tank at the same level as the sump, plumbing the two together and letting the prizm and maxi's do thier thing?

you know. that's not a bad idea. then I wouldn't have to worry about getting a big pump to move the water from the sump to the new tank.

Keeping it elevated is safer...

Bubbles can be handled easily by means of baffles like in a sump. Build a small baffled box near the inlet from your overflow line. You can throttle down the amount of water coming in by means of a ball or gate valve.

With something like that you can have a gravity fed return which is much less likely to fail and cause something catastrophic like a flood out of your frag tank which would also starve your display system of water.

Just something to think about...

-Dan

So pics always seem to get a little discussion going. So wanted to show you my first lame attempt at setting up a frag tank, here are a few photos.

The setup right now just consists of stuff I had laying around:
20g breeder
1 55W PC lamp - it's only temporary. I'll replace it with a 250W DE HQI.
not attached to sump
cheap hang on the back filter - for water circulation
Prizm skimmer - for aeration :oops:

1 rose bulb & 2 ocelarous clowns (my wife and I have fallen in love with these guys and are the true reason I'm setting up another tank)

1735406309_d4155614a4.jpg

1736262912_1a49061a88.jpg

1735413799_27e346b3e4.jpg

1735418315_f2a8d63743.jpg

Please share your pics & ideas for a real frag tank especially if you have your frag tank tied into your system. :):):):)

I like it. I just keep wondering if your wife will ever get to park in the garage again.

Hey Ben,
You might think about adding a UV light on the return line from the QT for those new additions you want to isolate and watch for a while. Turn it off when you return it to a frag tank.

You asked for it, you got it. Ofcourse I don't have any frags yet though :(. This tanked will be tied into the main system filter and water will be returned via an Eheim 1262 through 2 - 3/4" Sea Swirls. Supplemental flow is coming from a couple of modded Tunze 6025's.

Lighting is 6 T5's that will be cooled by 2 4" fans. I'm getting close to firing up this part of the system. As soon as my stuff comes back from the powder coaters then I'll get to it. The other tanks are just refugiums, so ignore them. The display tank is in the house (well, almost).

Elostanklights022.jpg

matt

Back