Should I increase my Ph?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Neoele

Ok,

I have a BC 14g with 14lbs cured LR and 20 LBS Live Sand 10.5 gallons of water. Tank has been running for 5 days now.

My Alkalinaty is 1.02325 but my Ph is 7.8 and calcium is 480ppm.

Ammona is zero ppm
Nitrite is zero ppm
nitrate is .25 ppm

I have a few strands of white growing on some rock.
One rock is yellowish
One is pinkish
and two are green and purpleish.

I have a dish to place a chaeto in main tank but is not in yet. No cleanup crew is added yet either. I plan on having mushrooms and one fish.

Should I be worried that my Ph is at 7.8? If yes what is a more natrual way to raise the Ph?

When should I add the cleanup crew and chaeto?

Temp is 77.5

Attachments

• BCfrnt.jpg
    BCfrnt.jpg
    65.6 KB
My Alkalinaty is 1.02325

Where, how did you come up with this number ? There is no kit on this planet that can test to that level, to the 5th decimal point, not even the 4th :). That does not look like a Alk value at all but a specific gravity value /Salinity. Is that what it is ? It must be, so what is your ALk ?

LOL yea salinaty is 1.023 I got the .00025 from the needle being above the 1.023 mark but lower then the half mark to 1.024.

I am at work atm and will have to look at my log when i get home for alk.

Boomer,

I have the red sea alk test...no numbers at all.

the water is aqua blue green and on the color chart its just below high line in the normal range. I will see if i can take a pic of the chart and post it.

LOL :badgrin:

Ok whats a good alk test kit then?

for calcium and nitrate, nirite ammona and ph I have the API kits.
Salinaty I use the instant ocean hydrometer.

Me, it is Fastest/SeaTest for Nitrate, Nirite Ammona and pH. For Alk, Calcium Magnesium and Alk Salifert it a very good choice.

Salinaty I use the instant ocean hydrometer

That may be fine if you have a good one. They usually read 1 point to low. Think in the futrue of getting a refractometer, there is much less of an issue with maintenance, which your IO needs. And they can be calibrate so they are always accruate.

Many guys have had good luck with the AP, I have not tested them.

Just stick your finger in your water and taste it. You will get about the same accurate results red sea kits give.

Back