Should I replace my T5s with LEDs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cdearing

I have a 90 gallon with mainly SPS and LPS and currently have a 48 inch fixture with 2 54 watt daylights and 2 -54 watt actinics. Does anyone have experience with this light fixture? Ideas?
Tank Lit by 1 Fixture

They say one of these at $500 would light my 48 inch tank. I can't spend more than that.

I replaced one ballast in my fixture back in December and it's gone out again. They're being difficult about replacing it so thought I'd look in another direction.
Thanks,
Cynthia

Off the cuff, I would say no. The reason I say this goes back to the increased intensity of LEDS. Say you put 70* optics on it, but have to turn it up a lot to get the light to spread enough. You will burn your corals.

At 500 bucks I would look into a DIY, or try and wait until you close another house (judging from your sig) drop 1136$ and replace it with 2x AI SOL blues with controller. They are modular so you could buy 1 at 553 or whatever plus the controller and add the other later.

Whatever you choose, best of luck and let us know your results.

I am not familiar with that light. Where can I find it on the internet to do some research? Is the brand SOL? Do you know who sells it? I could do one and then yes, when I sell another property, buy another. You are perceptive. :)
Thanks!

Here is the Manf.

AI - life illuminated

You can look up vendors off the site, but I KNOW aquarium specialty and aqua cave, and cherry corals supply them. (Cherry corals you need to call)

Here are some notes for you as I am getting ready to pick some up as well.

AI recommends 1 unit per foot (overkill) You can run the units lengthwise and start with 2 for your tank (As a complete setup)

you MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST get at least the AI controller! If you don't you cannot turn down the colors and you will literally cook your corals via PAR.

Most people start with around 25% white 50% blue and increase bi weekly from there

SOL modules are just that modules so they are ever expanding.

AI SOL modules produced the HIGHEST Par from any LED unit available right now.

They are available as SOL white and SOL blue.

24" is actually 2 modules though. Each module is 12".

Compare this though

MH bulb 90 bucks
t5 bulb 45 bucks x your fixture

500 watts vs 65 watts

no heat....

10 year plus life on LEDs....

Like I said the other light may work, but the AI modules have been put through the trials by many many experts and have always performed well. Expensive yes, but def going on my tank.

Wow those prices are a tiny bit high not too bad.

Ok so you buy one 12" module w/ controller and mount it parallel to your tank. The controller will let you control each set of LEDS (white and blue). I believe you are probably looking at about mounting the module ~ 14-16" above the tank to get a balanced spread.

Ok so honestly speaking:

1 module will do 1/2 ish of your tank. So you have two options.

Find something to light your other half (cheap T5 14", a 175 MH something)

OR

You can use a light mover (or do it manually and slide the light to either side of the tank each day) IE M W F and SU it is on side 1, T TH SA it is over side 2.

Oh and you're not being stupid. This is what the forum is about. I would rather see you buy nice quality equipment and go through a little hassle for a few weeks to get a complete proper system, that end up with some light that has no data to substantiate it's claims.

If China made a Porsche clone that claimed to do the same thing for half off would you trust it?

OK, so I finally pushed the "order" button. Man, that was tough! I got the 2 blue modules with controller and hanging kit. I hope my credit card will handle it. :) I also ordered a couple of Koralia Evolution 1400s to replace the Hydors I have (don't know the flow, bought them used and writing is gone). I just know I need more flow as my corals continue to grow. Would like to add a wavemaker but that will be later. Thanks for the information. I spent a couple of hours last night and this morning studying up and liked everything I read about AI. Oh and btw, my tank is an 80 not 90. I will post pix once everything is up and running. I just hope my corals can wait it out with both daylights out. Eek!

If you don't mind me asking do you know of there was a back order? I am getting ready to order mine soon.

You won't regret your decision and remember that you can hang them parallel with the tank to get more coverage.

@Akunochi- seems like you know a ton about these lights. Are they suitable for smaller tanks? mine is a 40 and I'm pretty unhappy with the light I have (250MH and 2 T5s).

I am looking for something that will give me a much more BLUE look while (obviously) not killing my coral. I've heard so many mixed things about LED but these seem to be well reviewed.

I would just read Katchupoy thread and ask questions when you do not understand it. Understand everything and build one yourself. I am sure if you get stuck or need help along the way someone will help you out. I had someone build mine for me. Just had to have LED party at my house a couple times. With yours being smaller I bet you could finish it in one or two days.

Thanks but there is NO way I want to build my own. I want something that I know will work with a warranty and all that good stuff. I think building things like that is great if you are exceptionally handy, but if you are me it ends with tons of frustration and wasted money. Because my tank is smaller I am not looking at a lighting fixture in the thousands, but rather in the 500-750 range I would guess. I would rather just write a check.

Sandra I have to go to work, but I will answer you question this evening I promise. Also yes I am quite fond of the AI modules.

Here is the e-mail I got from Reef Geek:

Cynthia,

Hello there and sorry for the delay in responding to your email.

Now for your tank, you are correct in planning on two modules...just keep in
mind that you would need to raise the modules at least 12" above the tank in
order to get the 24x24 spread.

And of course you can get the 1 module for now and add one later...the only
thing I would consider initially would be the rail size...and in the
meantime, you can just aquascape towards the middle of your tank...

And just so you know Cynthia, the current lead time is about 3-4
weeks...hopefully sooner. We can take down your order and fill it as we
receive modules from AI...NO deposit required and you can change or cancel
at anytime.

Hope that info helped out Cynthia, and let me know if you have any addl
questions...

Take care now Cynthia

Regards,

George Balolong
reefgeek, Inc.
2908 Oregon Ct, Ste I-5
Torrance, CA 90503
Toll Free 866-295-9230
310-533-9500
310-782-9507 (fax)
ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums

Meanwhile, the replacement ballast for my T5's is in the mail and my corals are hanging in there with only 2 actinic lights. It would have been nice if the website told me that the lights were on back order. Many other sites do which seems to be a little more up front. Wish they had been. Oh well...

I think your corals will be jsut fine and you will be REALLY happy with the growth and color you are going to get from the AI lights.

@Akunochi- seems like you know a ton about these lights. Are they suitable for smaller tanks? mine is a 40 and I'm pretty unhappy with the light I have (250MH and 2 T5s).

I am looking for something that will give me a much more BLUE look while (obviously) not killing my coral. I've heard so many mixed things about LED but these seem to be well reviewed.

SANDRA- What are the dimensions on the 40? Breed or standard? They are suitable for most any tank that is at least 12"x whatever. I would honestly be leary of them on anything under say 20 gal. As far as controlling the color spectrum get the controller and you control not only the blue/white balance but the blues can be used as Moonlights and also simulate the lunar cycles. For a blue look you will want the SOL blue. Post dimensions and I can try to recommend a number of modules for you.

30 long, 15 deep and 21 inches tall. Its just a tad over 40 gallons.

I've been googling LED lighting like crazy (instead of working!) and these do seem to be well reviewed, but also like some of the priciest out there. I decided a while back that I am done buying cheap bandaid type products and will spend the money as long as it will really do what I need it to. From youtube it looks like the LEDs have a more "flat look" to them if that makes sense- my MH give me a pretty cool shimmering look. Is that your experience as well?

Many people have reported shimmering effects, but I think it will depend drastically on your surface agitation. There also won't be as much light spill if you will with these. You are probably going to need two modules but could probably run them the standard perpendicular style. I'm still waiting for mine to come in....

Back