Show me your full tank shots

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If you look at his corals, they are all a decent size, and the layout of his tank flows so nicely. I really like its appearance. My tank has some nice corals, but a lot of them are growing from frags and I just want to see colonies already.

Maybe I'll test the water toinght so I can feel like I'm doing something constructive. ;)

Maybe I'll test the water toinght so I can feel like I'm doing something constructive.

Honestly, I don't know how you find the time in a day to do all you have to from all of the forums, to your tanks and so on...It must be really hectic to say the least not to mention...Very constructive. Very many people thank you endlessly for your time and efforts put in to the hobby. Myself included. I found it very thoughtful and kind of you to take time out way back when I had problems getting things going to lend a helping hand.Your time IMO is very constructive:) Keep up the good work!

OK, I see what you mean. I have really enjoyed watching them grow from the little guys to some of the bigger corals that I have now. As somebody once so aptly said, "what a long strange trip it's been."

Thanks everyone for the compliments. It means a lot to us little tank newbies. Marc, wow... I've been admiring your work and documentation forever. To receive a compliment from you is very humbling.

This is the first tank I've ever had water in, ever, and it's about a year and a half old. The largest coral, the golden millepora w/green polyps, on the right side, was just a quarter sized branchless blob growth encrusted as a hitchhiker on a piece of live rock just over a year ago.

As for the low profile, there are two reasons. First, I learned that corals grow vertically, and I once had this aquascaped with rocks almost to the surface. Secondly, the tank only has 12" front to back, so there's not a lot to work with, and I didn't want a vertical rock wall. In reality, the corals aren't that large, this is just a small tank. It's 36x12x20, or 38g, and sumpless.

I bet it will look even more amzing in 6 months to a year. Are you doing monthly water changes?

Like marc said that is going to be a even more amazing tank in a few months with regular water changes and lots of attention.It is a beauty...

LOL, Marc! This is funny. Right now, at my local club, Weatherson and I are one side of a heated discussion about water changes during a cycle. We are both FOR water changes during a cycle, the rest of the discussion is against it. I just finished reading that thread, and popped in over here, then read your question! :D

So... I'm a water change nazi. I change 14% every weekend. I run my Remora skimmer full wet with a fresh air mod. I run mechanical filtration and carbon 24/7. I do the water changes on top of this. And in case you were wondering what's up with the 14%... I just do 5g per week, because that's the size of the jugs I use. 5g into 38g is 14%.

I run 100% kalk topoff through a reactor, and am in the process of working with Weatherson to DIY a calcium reactor. If you've seen any of his work, you can probably see why I'm excited about this one. Additionally, I'm manually dosing 1tsp of calcium and buffer every single day right now just to maintian levels. I can't wait to stop that!

Okay, my tank looks very messy right now, with the green hair algae and all, but here is a picture anyway. I am slightly embarrassed by the chaotic state of it, but I am still working on it.

soo heres 3 tank shots the bluer spectrum of light is the usual look off the tank the other shots was just a weird function i found on the digi and thought would givea better idea of colour and i know the water level is a bit low but have yet to invest in a ro/di unit are these sepreat units or is any water purifier i buy going to do the same thing? or is di enoguh
the large gonipora is my favourite coral as it is hard yakka and seems to be thriving
i also use natural seawater no salt mixs here, mainly provided by an lfs but ive also got my own before and always good water quality.

Morgan, dont know how your water is there but they are seperate units attatched together. Usually in 3's. Id go with the set. You can get on ebay pretty cheap. Nice tank by the way.

di would be enough, it's just more expensive to maintain then the RO part as i understand it, i think of it as RO as bulk removal and then DI gets the rest, of course this is all reading and no experience with the thing

with pc lights are they a special brand made for aquariums of just 96 watts in differnt colours?

thanx krish saw some of ur old tank shots cum a long way man although i liked that rock backing look good in a freshy tank but none of that here aye

thanx krish saw some of ur old tank shots cum a long way man although i liked that rock backing look good in a freshy tank but none of that here aye

LOL...Yeah. A friend on fine wants to use it in a cichlid tank. It should look great in there:)

As of 2/5/06 ....

02-05-06_full_tank_view.jpg

Sherman- How can you expect a tank to find an equalibrium between nh4/3 produced and sufficient bacteria if you water change during a cycle? You would simply be really slowing down the cycling process with waterchanges in new tank.

Back