Shrimp gobies carry their partners?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rjarnold

Frogfish Aficionado
So I just got a shrimp goby to replace the one that sadly jumped out of my tank about a month ago. The yellow watchman goby that I got was paired up with a pistol shrimp at the store, and I was a bit sorry to separate them, but alas, it was probably going to happen anyways, right?

So I released the goby into my tank and I see something odd sticking out of its mouth. Upon closer examination, it is the tail of the pistol shrimp! The shrimp is hanging out in the mouth of the watchman goby... I have not heard of this before, but perhaps it has just escaped from my everyday conversations...

Anyone else?

thats interesting, any pics?

No, sadly no picture voucher. I only thought of it after I went to bed. I got back up anyways but he'd already found crevices in the rock to hide in while he acclimated to the new surroundings.

So I released the goby into my tank and I see something odd sticking out of its mouth. Upon closer examination, it is the tail of the pistol shrimp! The shrimp is hanging out in the mouth of the watchman goby...

Sounds like an amusing free hitchhiker story.

I would love to see a quality high resolution picture as it would become my new background. Lol

What kind of Pistol?

HI RJ I have a mated pair of the Cryptocentrus cinctus (Yellow watchman) Gobies they have a vast tunnel system built and maintained by a pair of Alpheus randalli Pistol shrimps. My Yellow watchman Female is only 3" long and has maintained it for 4 years the male is a little longer than 2" and the Alpheus randalli female is 2 1/2" and the male is 2" what species of pistol shrimp was its host?
I had always thought the Alpheus randalli was the smallest species of pistols available to reef keepers. It is interesting to here that this shrimp was eaten
:eek:

So I just got a shrimp goby to replace the one that sadly jumped out of my tank about a month ago. The yellow watchman goby that I got was paired up with a pistol shrimp at the store, and I was a bit sorry to separate them, but alas, it was probably going to happen anyways, right?

So I released the goby into my tank and I see something odd sticking out of its mouth. Upon closer examination, it is the tail of the pistol shrimp! The shrimp is hanging out in the mouth of the watchman goby... I have not heard of this before, but perhaps it has just escaped from my everyday conversations...

Anyone else?

Last edited:
HI RJ I have a mated pair of the Cryptocentrus cinctus (Yellow watchman) Gobies they have a vast tunnel system built and maintained by a pair of Alpheus randalli Pistol shrimps. My Yellow watchman Female is only 3" long and has maintained it for 4 years the male is a little longer than 2" and the Alpheus randalli female is 2 1/2" and the male is 2" what species of pistol shrimp was its host?
I had always thought the Alpheus randalli was the smallest species of pistols available to reef keepers. It is interesting to here that this shrimp was eaten
:eek:

Mmm, not eaten. The shrimp was a candy cane, but they've gone into hiding.

Well that's good to here the Candy cane is Alpheus randalli so good news ! These guys will go under for a day or two to set up shop and then they tend to get out.
Good luck with you new 2-fer!
Jeff

Well that's good to here the Candy cane is Alpheus randalli so good news ! These guys will go under for a day or two to set up shop and then they tend to get out.
Good luck with you new 2-fer!
Jeff

I just hope there's no issues with the current candy cane that's living down in the tunnels.

Mmm, not eaten. The shrimp was a candy cane, but they've gone into hiding.

OK, where's the picture? No sharing????:lol::lol:
Please post one as soon as they are out of hiding. These pairs are my favorite. Am even thinking of adding sand to one corner just to get a pair.

OK, where's the picture? No sharing????:lol::lol:
Please post one as soon as they are out of hiding. These pairs are my favorite. Am even thinking of adding sand to one corner just to get a pair.

Okies, I will get one as soon as they're out in the open.

Back