Shrinking/unhappy/dying Rics?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

menace78

I got a rock covered in 3 different types of Ricardias from the BR sale and they seem to be shrinking. some of the tiny ones are completely gone

I have everything from mushrooms and zoos to lps, sps, anemones fish inverts and nothing else is being affected, there all doing wonderfull.

All parameters are good. temp and Ph swings are minimal, and I'm at a loss. There the only thing affected.

Any ideas what I should look for that might be causing this?

Are you using RO water? If your Rics are wild caught sometimes they don't like all the little extras our tap water has to offer. Many years ago I had the same problems with some wild caught zoas until I switched them over to RO water.

Are you using RO water? If your Rics are wild caught sometimes they don't like all the little extras our tap water has to offer. Many years ago I had the same problems with some wild caught zoas until I switched them over to RO water.

Yes I have an RODI unit that is used for all water changes and makup water.

yumas have the bubbles around/through the mouth..the floridas dont..yumas grow very big and always round/circle...floridas get multiple mouth...yumas are more sensitive,floridas can tolerate high intense lighting...

if u got the yumas and u didnt photo acclimate it,then it will shrink till it melts...
try to put it in a shady area and dont move it anymore....once they start spitting its guts out and gaping mouth and not puffing,u cant do much about it.

yumas are finicky sometimes they look really good then one day they just wanna melt...i lost a few,actually a lot...

never lost floridas though,they are hardy.:)

yumas have the bubbles around/through the mouth..the floridas dont..yumas grow very big and always round/circle...floridas get multiple mouth...yumas are more sensitive,floridas can tolerate high intense lighting...

if u got the yumas and u didnt photo acclimate it,then it will shrink till it melts...
try to put it in a shady area and dont move it anymore....once they start spitting its guts out and gaping mouth and not puffing,u cant do much about it.

yumas are finicky sometimes they look really good then one day they just wanna melt...i lost a few,actually a lot...

never lost floridas though,they are hardy.:)
After hearing that description they are Yumas and No I didn't photo aclimate them. They were under T5's at BR and I run VHO so I figured That shouldn't be an issue but just thought that IDK how long BR had them in there tank or where they came from.

I moved the rock under a ledge so there still getting light but none directly.
I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Is there anything els I can do to help them recover?

Thank you for the help. I figured someone whould know what was going on.
Hopefull They'll recover. Sometimes I hate this learning curve ;)

I have a hard time finding them out here in california. They are few and far between and are expensive as heck. So I just pass on them eventhough I would love to try them out!!!

I keep almost all my Florida Ricordeas in the sand or near the sand with rocks nearby. All my yumas do better when placed on rocks and do not do well in the sand. The yumas I have seem to move a lot more that Florida Ricordeas do.

Also I believe that most of the ricodreas that BR sells come from either Zesty Reef or a place in Oregon.

And best way to start Any new coral in your tank is from the bottom up. No matter what type of lighting they came from I always start my corals from the bottom up.

Cheers,
Alex

Hope this helps,
Alex

I have lots of ricordias, yuma and florida, and I would guess acclimation time or placement in the tank. Not just acclimation to water, but light as well. All shrooms do better and grow larger under what you would consider low to medium lighting and flow near the bottom to middle of the tank. If you have high lighting or flow, you must start them off easy. Put them in a darker corner where they aren't getting "pushed around" by flow either. All corals should be slowly aclimated to your light over the course of at least a few hours if they are shipped very far in the dark. Start dark (all lights off) then add a moon light or actinic, then the daylight, with an hour or so in between each step when adding shipped coral.

Try taking two of the same shroom from the same colony, put one at the top and one at the bottom. Usually the one at the bottom will get huge and multiply, while the one at the top will barely grow. I have tons of different shrooms! I've seen it happen! When in the right spot, I can expect at least 2-5 babies starting on each colony every 2-3 weeks. They grow quick and then release and spread all over my tank. I have two regular shroom colonies, and one ricordia yuma colony that does this constantly.

Back