sick fish i think

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Steve is completly correct if you want to run a completely sterile enviroment. Personally I think it is awfully hard to keep it like that, your tank is open to air which carries all kinds of goodies. To clear your present tank of all bad according to other post I have read of Steves you would have to leave it sit for 1 yr. to make sure everything bad is dead. I donot believe Pauls tank is the exception, I can guaranty there are way more tanks operating just fine with ich in them and healthy fish:) , I know mine does. My opinion is I would not put my fish through all that if they are doing just fine, but that is just my opinion:) .

fishermann said:
Steve is completly correct if you want to run a completely sterile enviroment. Personally I think it is awfully hard to keep it like that, your tank is open to air which carries all kinds of goodies.
A little melodramatic don't you think... :p

I am by no means suggesting a sterile system, just one free of parasites. Which is easily done. One does not apply to the other!

Cheers
Steve

Yeah maybe I am:lol:. I do not disagree with you at all ,I just wanted to throw out the fact that very few systems operate parasite free. These fish in my opinion do just fine in an inviroment where the parasite is as long as you keep things in good order:), as they do in the wild, which yes I realize there is alot more volume of water and space, but alot more critters too. I have seen ich on curious fish while diving, but not disagreeing if that is the way one wishes to have their tank.:D

well if it comforts you at all, i don't think there is any fauna in the crushed coral cause it was left out for a week damp... lol the gramma's looking better though since i've QT'd him just hides in the cheato, can't get a good look at him for ich as he retreats into it i think i'll take the cheato out and see if i can get a good look at him, and probably do the hypo anyways since even if he contained it he could still potentially spread it to other fish...i'm right on this?

MarineTeng said:
... and probably do the hypo anyways since even if he contained it he could still potentially spread it to other fish...i'm right on this?
Since the gramma has already been in the main display (?), the problem has not been contained if a parasite is the issue.

Sounds like your still not sure? Your first post was a week ago, if you have not noticed any reoccurances of the "spots", chances are pretty good you've misdiagnosed it. As long as the gramma's alreay in the QT, I would leave it there for a few weeks and observe. Be watchful for things other than typical spots. This species of fish is also prone to Uronema. Scale anomalies, red rashs, white marks/lines and so forth.

Cheers
Steve

ya, he was in the main display, i'll leave him in the QT for a couple more weeks, he's been eating flakes and has been swimming more then he did when i first moved him, i haven't seen any white lines or rashes or anything either, i sure hope i did, though it's taught me why it's important to QT, always learn/listen better when you go through it yourself for whatever reason

Back