Sick tang?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You should be good where you're at. When using a refractometer look at the numbers (% or salinity) across from the specific gravity numbers. You want to be about 14ppt on the chart. I believe that works out to a specific gravity of 1.011, but reading the salinity instead of the specific gravity will be easier to follow.

How's the pH?

Now that I have removed all of my fish from my reef tank. What things should I be doing to the reef over the next month? Will my skimmate volume drop with the lower bioload? Other than target feeding my anemones and a little phyto, is there any other feeding I need to do?

As long as the pH isn't shifting more than that, you should be fine, but continue to monitor it. In the display tank, I would toss in a little food now and then to try and support the bacterial populations with the tank. When your QT period is over, I would also introduce the fish somewhat slowly to the tank....a couple of fish at a time....just to make sure you don't overload the system. I'll defer to Steve-S on this. Keep us updated on the fish and how they're doing!

2/21/06 update. I started counting days of being ich free on the 20th. All fish are still alive!!!!!!!!!! My only concerns with the fish are I cannot tell if the tang and manderin are eating or not. They are looking healthy and the tang seems normal except for the eating. Stll have fun staying ahead of the ammonia and ph. Lots of water changes.

THAT'S GOOD NEWS!

I am having a problem with a Mandarin now. It was eating Frozen Brine Shrimp (amazingly) and Copepods for the first few days I had it but now has seem uninterested in eating. It didn't look so hot when I first purchased it (I know..... mistake) but pride told me I could rehabilitate it. I hope to pull it through.

What are you feeding the tang?

For the mandarin, try frozen Cyclop-eeze. For the Achilles, try a variety of algae types including red and brown. Especially brown.

In general, try adding a liquid vitamin high in B12. Vitachem or Zoe should do well. Add directly to the tank and soak the foods in it. High ammonia and wonky pH will definately curtail the appetite so do keep on top of it a few times daily.

Cheers
Steve

mmkeeper said:
When you the polyfilter do you put it in your filter or just in the tank?

You want to force water through it. Polyfilters are always a good idea for problems. My sump is designed with area for media. I wish I could see yours to help you more. You want water to flow through pad then back to tank. The pad trapping phosphates and amonia. Usually the pad will change color to indicate problem. I believe green is amonia. My memory needs to be refreshed of others. They are a very good plan if you have a power head melt in your tank......oops, too late...just my oppinon, probably not the best..sorry Steve.

Last edited:
You are good Steve. You are gonna make me read now. I know you are well educated. I am not gonna mess with you..
But I will say this. I have bought a few of these poly filters.

Poly-Bio Marine inc.
Po. box 426 South Orange, N.J. 07079
telephone 973-676-0232.

They tell me their polyfilter when green indicates ammonia.
Their filter goes blue when removing copper, Orange with iron, green with ammonia etc.

Last edited:
Well it is water change after water change. It is a HOT Magnum filter that is cleaning a 25 gallon tank. It did not have a chance to be cycled. I am using polypads and just got some purigin

Update on the tang. He is improving greatly. Stiill not sure if he is eating. He is not eating from the clip for algae. But he might be getting small pieces in the water column. The good news is that he a piece missing from his dorsel fin that is growing back. So based on that I would say that his health is improving.

mmkeeper said:
Update on the tang. He is improving greatly. Stiill not sure if he is eating. He is not eating from the clip for algae. But he might be getting small pieces in the water column. The good news is that he a piece missing from his dorsel fin that is growing back. So based on that I would say that his health is improving.
Very good news. Lets hope it stays that way and you get the tangs eating... :)

Ed Hahn said:
You are good Steve. You are gonna make me read now. I know you are well educated. I am not gonna mess with you..
But I will say this. I have bought a few of these poly filters.

Poly-Bio Marine inc.
Po. box 426 South Orange, N.J. 07079
telephone 973-676-0232.

They tell me their polyfilter when green indicates ammonia.
Their filter goes blue when removing copper, Orange with iron, green with ammonia etc.
Hehehe... Some days mabye not so smart as others... It has not been my experience but I sent them an e-mail to see if I get a different answer. You never know.. :lol:

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Very good news. Lets hope it stays that way and you get the tangs eating... :)

Hehehe... Some days mabye not so smart as others... It has not been my experience but I sent them an e-mail to see if I get a different answer. You never know.. :lol:

Cheers
Steve
You mean Rookies get lucky every once in a while? I still trying to catch up with you guys.
Thanks for helping people out, your really cool. I say that with mucho respect.
Sincerely,
Ed:)

Thanks for the kind words...:cool:

Ed Hahn said:
You mean Rookies get lucky every once in a while?
New or established hobbyists, it makes little difference to me. I think everyone has something to offer good or bad. :p

Cheers
Steve

Here the update. All the fish are looking better. However there was a suicide last night. my goby jumped out and I didn't find him till this morning. I had the egg create off while working on the tank and didn't notice him.

Bumber, sorry to here that. Everything was going so well. Here's to hoping the worst is behind you...

Cheers
Steve

Back