skimmer help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fresh water and salt water work very differently with bubbles... it looks like you have it in the bath tub testing it so I assume its fresh water.

Toss it in saltwater and it will act the opposite once it hits its sweet spot. When they are dialed in if you block the air the water level in the skimmer decreases. It should work well, I've had pretty good luck with those Euro-reef RS series.

i did the exact same thing in saltwater. thats why i took it out and stuck it in the bathtub where i could mess with it easier. and when i block the air the water actually increases and flows faster

the pump is designed to pull air and water at the same time, if it isn't pulling air then it is pulling all water.. so you will get more water flow

I would check the impeller. put the pump in your sump NOT connected to the skimmer it should push mirco bubbles every were if not I would say it's the impeller.?!?!

I would put it back into salt water and then blow into the airline to make sure that any salt creep is cleared.

i dont know how to say this with out it sounding bad so ill just say i did what you said and that was enough motivation for her to start working. thanks again man and everyone for the input

Good to here, I was going to say something but posted at the same time so now it doesn’t matter but also glad is working now.

Last edited:
Glad its working...

They may not officially be a company any more (yes I know part of it is now reef dynamics) but I'm a firm believer in my Euro reef skimmers. One of the few I haven't had an issue with at some point.. until I start modding them ...

that particular euroreef in the vid has the latest venturi and impeller, so it should be a real good skimmer. what is the pump model???
i can see it's a sedra, but cant tell which one.
there are several pumps you could put on that body if you ever wanted to upgrade to more power... the sicce psk2500 comes to mind...

Last edited:
it seems to work really well. it pretty much started making skimmate in about 10 minutes. i think i need a new pump thoe. its kinda loud.
What kind of mods can i do to it?

That Sicce psk2500 would be ideal for that setup. Hey Skimmerwhisperer would that pump come with the union fittings that plug straight into the skimmer body or would the pump itself just plug into it.

here are sum pics. this works great. i think the reason its loud is the magnet on the impeller is pretty pitted and beat up. kinda looks like it hour glass shaped a little. i could be wrong but all the other onese i seen are smooth.
GEDC0149.jpg

GEDC0147.jpg

GEDC0143.jpg

well, either that's not a euroreef rs-180 or thats not the stock pump.

it's probably an rs-100 if that is the stock pump., or it might be the smaller rs-80, it might say on a sticker on the skimmer with a bar code and number.
the other way to tell is what the neck diameter of the skimmer is.

if it is an rs-100, then yes, it could still probablty handle a sicce psk2500, but not on an rs-80.

and yes, your right, that magnet is kinda hosed, and causing extra vibration/noise in the pump
unfortunately if you want the new style relacement impeller, it's like $60 from reef dynamics.

Last edited:
Back