Skimmer question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

when i use in my skimmer with the sedra 5000 my raiser was all way up the skimming was wait and it was good at the begin after my skimming performance go down i start to check where it's come from you know reading a lot and make some phone calls and the end i change the pump now my raisor lower down my bubble are better and the skimming beeter .

i don't say that asm are not good skimmer but i think that the octopus better and less pricey anyway this is my thinking maybe i am wrong who know:)

vividaquariums.com sells the asm g3 for the same amount as premium aquatics...$308..they said this is the absolute lowest the manufacturer will let them sell it for and they want to know if you find it cheaper.....sound like a crock to me...

Mavgi,

Point taken, Not trying to argue about it. And I have no doubt you've had problems with yours. We've all problems of some sort. :)..

The first pump I got with my G-1X made a terrible racket. Took the pump back and got a new Sedra and have not had problem since.

It's your opinon, and that's what makes these forums great. I value yours and everyone else's opinon up here.

James

i still prefer euro reef to asm hands down, the build quality just isnt there with asm...
sounds like you got a bum sedra 5000 there magvi, i've never had any complaints with any sedra nw pump i've ever used, and i would never trade in a sedra pump for a gen-x pump, not if my life depended on it...
why they choose to use the gen -x over dolphin/sedra for the larger pumps is beyond me...
i also happen to feel that the ocean runner nw pumps are pretty lame if you ask me, they are waaay more prone to failure than sedra pumps, louder, have problems starting back up(comparatively), and thier nw design is flimsy, doesnt suck as much air as sedra nw pumps(per gph).
anyway, it's all about to be moot point when euroreef switches to eheim pumps and their new euroreef needle wheel, that is going to suck more air than any deltec aquabee/eheim or h&s aquabee nw pump. except mabye the new threadwheel design from ATI... that uses a eheim 1260 and suck 2000lph of air, pretty hard to beat at 49watts....but we cant even get those skimmers here (yet:) ).

ronj said:
vividaquariums.com sells the asm g3 for the same amount as premium aquatics...$308..they said this is the absolute lowest the manufacturer will let them sell it for and they want to know if you find it cheaper.....sound like a crock to me...

ASMSkimmer.com has G3 for $242.99 I'm likely ordering one over the weekend. Maybe when it is the only thing you sell you can take a smaller margin?:badgrin:

I would pick the octopusskimmer over the g3, the big 8" tube one will have a bigger and better pump that the g-3.

The big pacific coast import skimmers have a simmilar to OR 3700 supposedly which is very comparable to the 9000 from sedra. the 9000 is probably double the 5000 which is on the g3. the biggest in sump octopus is around $200. Also the OR 3700 is probably the top pump for DIY skimmers unless you want to spend a ton of money on an Ehiem or other German pump that cost triple or more.

The bottom line is that any of the skimmers will do a killer job. I personally have thought the ASM construction was poor and they are ready to break with minimal impact. All of these skimmers will kill the top of the line from only 4 years ago though. The old kent's, red sea's, backpacks and so on.

Last edited:
Ron I have just been reading about them way too much. 4+ hours or more. The fact of it is a skimmer is mostly a tube to hold fine bubbles. the pump makes the bubbles and the bigger tube allows more time for contact as well as more bubbles. I own a ER and most of an ASM(dead pump). my ER is a great skimmer and I would buy another but there REcirc models are to expensive. I will probably either build a big recirc with an OR 3700 or buy an octopus recirc(biggest one).

skimerwhisperer

when i have bed filling with the performance of the skimming i start to check and read in more forums i am not the first person that modify this pump , more then that i call to euro reef and talk with jeff and he said that with the time the magnet loose power or the pump not clean and maybe to increase the hole for the plastic tube . i check all and still not have good result as it was at being. personal as i said in other post before here i like anyone else pay for skimmer and want to enjoy from that as much as i can without to spend more money on pump and if euro reef modify the pump it's because some reason .....
i like my euro reef cs8-3 but i think that H&S and deltec are better :) .

i agree with brad reef and i think that the octopus or the pacific cost will be a better pick then the asm.

the octopuss skimmer is like 28" tall or something like that..it is very big..i don't know if that will fit in my sump....if i ever wanted to take it out, i will have to have an extremely tall stand or i won't be able to get it out

so when the water comes down from the overflow, will it need to go into the protein skimmer first or last....also will just my one pump run the skimmer and my return

ronj said:
so when the water comes down from the overflow, will it need to go into the protein skimmer first or last....also will just my one pump run the skimmer and my return

you can connect the skimmer to one drain pipe but you will need to figure the volume .

the skimmer come with pump that circulate the water in the tube

your return will be different pump

and if you want you can feed the skimmer from one more pump if you don't want to use the feed from the drain pipe , but it will be better to feed direct from the drain pipe

so have it come straight from the drain into the skimmer and then into my other sections of the sump??

ronj said:
so have it come straight from the drain into the skimmer and then into my other sections of the sump??

from the drain pipe to the skimmer .
the pump that connect to the skimmer circulate the water creat foam and skimming .
from the efflunet pipe to the sump.

Back