Skimmer Recommendations

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lbrewer34

I want to finally buy a skimmer. Ive been running my tank without one for a little over 3 months now. Here are my specs: 65g main tank, 20g sump, light bioload but want to expand it, 1 goby, 1 wraisse, 1 blenny, assorted snails and hermits, 2 camel shrimp about 30lbs of live rock and roughly 1 1/2-2" sand bed. For lighting I have a 36" current dual 96w power compacts; 1x50/50 bulb and 1x blue actinic bulb. Tank has cycled and been relatively stable for the past 2 months. Space the chamber in my sump can handle 15"L x 11"W x 22" H. Key points I'm looking for is quiet operation, effective, will be able to eventually handle a heavy bioload and roughly around $300. I've had my eye on the reef octopus and the swc but open to any advice and suggestions. As always, thanks.
I have no objections to buying either new or used so if you have a good skimmer taking up space let me know
Lee

i really like my Reef Octopus skimmer but it seems like everyone has a diff opinion, what i did was call around to a few lfs's and got there opinion, then did research online, ended up buying mine online and saved a TON for the same skimmer. good luck

hola lee,
well for your size, i would look at these, they are the same but one is a cone skimmer and more expensive;
SWC150 BMK
SWC Cone

ive been trying to read up on the cone skimmers and see if it is worth the extra money. Still torn, seems like some of the reef octopus skimmers may not do as good but can at least keep up.

I have an SWC160 cone and love it. Tons and tons of bubbles, great skimming.

I think it has a bit too big of a footprint, but the 150 cone is probably pretty awesome. Not sure on what pump is used in that, but if you are interested, talk to skimmy :)

those skimmers are dead silent, they both have the same identical pump(atman 2500 pump, 700lph air at 28w) , and can really handle up to a 120g easily.
much better design and features than octopus, imo...

the cone version of the skimmer @ $80 more gets you about 20-25% more gunk in the cup because of the cone design being more "productive"

also both skimmers match your size restrictions in the sump...
the cylinder version, the 150 bmk, is actually an inch taller than the cone, and requires about an inch to get the cup off, so it's close, but still works.

hey guys i have a Questing i have a Octopus RPS-3000 RC what do you guys think of this one? and is it better then the SWC ?
i have a 180 that i will want to have a medium bio load in over time but thinking ahead want to get a good enough skimmer.
i love the design of the Swc xtreme 200.

Skimmer help

hey guys i have a Questing i have a Octopus RPS-3000 RC what do you guys think of this one? and is it better then the SWC ?
i have a 180 that i will want to have a medium bio load in over time but thinking ahead want to get a good enough skimmer.

Grumble grumble grumble...

Check out the Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410 just to think a bit different here. Great performance and has a better air water contact time then most skimmers over $600

It is just under $400.

Or you could make your own skimmer :D

Frank

hey sorry i missed your post here...
so you did get a new skimmer? which one is the octo 180??
and i like the tunze 9410 and 9420 skimmers as well...

Back