Skimmer too tall for stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tangtang clown

I just purchased a octo recirc 200 nw skimmer and it is too tall to fit under my 75gal with a 20 gal sump. Thinking about moving the sump outside the stand and putting a 30 gal fuge under the stand.

Is this possible?

How?

How to you like your ASM 3?
I looked at a few different skimmers and that was one of them.
I would have been fine with a octo recirc 150 nw, I think, but the 200 was the same price. I really wanted a msx, but they are unavailable for a while.

To answer your original question, yes you can run a sump/skimmer outside the stand. I do this with my 75 right now for very similar reasons. I built a cabinet to go beside the tank to house the sump and skimmer and it is great. Easy access and not restricted on height. You just have to run your plumbing to and from the sump but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Reedman,

Can you tell me how you built your cabinet? I am trying to get a few different ideas.

Edwing,

I just hooked up my Octo recirc nw 200 last night for a test run. Besides a few leaks where I forgot to put the o-rings, this thing looks like a monster. It is huge. The tiny bubbles fill the whole chamber! I can't wait to let pvc cement the riser arm and let it run. I will update on skimmate.

For me it was just a 3 sided cabinet with a hinged top and front. It worked out to be about the same height as the tank stand so it looks just fine next to the tank. The key is that the top opens to I don't have any clearance issues. Very simple construction.

I'll see what I can do...I'm at work so don't expect a reply with pics until later tonight

Reedman,

Can you tell me how you built your cabinet? I am trying to get a few different ideas.

Edwing,

I just hooked up my Octo recirc nw 200 last night for a test run. Besides a few leaks where I forgot to put the o-rings, this thing looks like a monster. It is huge. The tiny bubbles fill the whole chamber! I can't wait to let pvc cement the riser arm and let it run. I will update on skimmate.

Awesome. I've seen those skimmers pull out some nasty gunk over at RC.
With the mods skimmerwhisperer posted, your skimmer will be killer!

I might see how it does stock.
I seem to have bad luck messing with things that arent broken.

Thanks. That helps a lot. I will try to get some pics of what I have to work with.
I think the top of my skimmer arm is like 40 inches or close to it.

Back