skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If you only have the one tube with the skimmer, it looks like the outflow tube that regulates the water height in the skimmer is missing.

Thank you very much Finn :), i'll see if there's something in my little box.

That is venturi driven and those powerheads look a bit used. You will have to clean them up a bit put them back together and see of they work. If you have other powerheads you can hook them to the skimmer with clear hose and see how they perform with the venturi. You will have to rig some pipe with a valve off the lower outlet to adjust the level in the skimmer. It will prolly still work with a bit of cleaning and TLC. FWIW I personally (depending on size) would modify it and put a sedra needlewheel pump on it and if you decide to toss it I will send you my address where it should be tossed.
below are your pumps and full skimmer pics for reconstruction

CA- 1800 Aqua Pump 650 GPH $29.00
CA- 2200 Aqua Pump 800 GPH $27.50
from http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/h...od_capumps.htm

http://www.aquatic-marvels.com/ProteinSkimmers.html
For 150 Gal Tank This is a very nice skimmer. Made by Aqua Clear. In sump or beside sump operation, plug in and go, venturi driven. Spiral air-water movement inside skimmer for counter-current that promotes maxims air-water contact time. Removable collection cup with remote drain .

OMG !!! yeap that's my skimmer, i'm gonna look for that tube and to think that my husband was gonna dump it in the garbageand i rescued,it's been in my closet for 2 years by now if i start thinking about it .. i knew it wouldn't be that bad :p :D.

Hey Gaby, just print out a picture of your skimmer (the new one that has the outflow tube) go to lowes and get the pieces to make what it is supposed to have. That would be easiest. I think anyway. I dont know how it will work with you riding a skateboard the whole way though. LOL

Hey Gaby, just print out a picture of your skimmer (the new one that has the outflow tube) go to lowes and get the pieces to make what it is supposed to have. That would be easiest. I think anyway. I dont know how it will work with you riding a skateboard the whole way though. LOL

LOL !!! Thank you very much Steve :), if it doesn't work i can always use it as my fish laundry or their playground, that way they get shaken and have fun :D.

hi gabby!
do you still have this skimmer??
if you want to, i can help you modify it so it will actually work worth a damn:)
dont waste your time with CA pumps, worthless garbage as far as a skimmer is concerned.
let's just hope they didnt glue that crappy venturi inside the skimmer body( the venturi is the tube in the middle of the body where the little air hose goes into it)

can you tell me the dimentions of the skimmer? that way i can recommend the correct pump and venturi to replace the crappy ones:) :)

yes dood i still have this skimmer :p i just haven't been able to do anything with it.
i'll get back to you as soon as i can find my tape measure ruler thingy :) .
ohh yeah and the pumps i showed you all, don't work anymore :( .

skimerwhisperer question for you. I have a 22in high by 5.5in wide acrylic tube which I was going to sit on a Acrylic box to make a skimmer and was going to get a sedra 5000. What would your recomendations be for the power plant and bubble producer?
Thanks

well, im assuming you are going to use the sedra as a recirculating pump, and then your asking me what to use as a feed pump?

well, it would have to do with the size of your tank, euroreef usually designs their skimmers to process the tank volume 1-2 times an hour, so whatever pump would produce those results is what you need, probably nothing bigger than a maxi-jet 1200, mabye even smaller.

42398IM000494.JPG
this is the skimmer you need

Now thats a man skimmer.:eek: :shock: If ya don't mind me asking how many clams??:) Real sweet. Guess I best redesign my DIY.:D

Must be a HEMI!

Last edited:
aqua dood i still only see a Reef central logo :p .

Krish, my red sea prizm is working better now :D :lol: it's doing a lot of goo.
I still have to figure out the measurements for skimerwishperer

find that tape measure gabby!!!
dont make me come to your house!!

Sorry if it's taking me to long dood, but i haven't found that measuring tape... and that's not the only thing i can't find, i cannot even find a credit card :p.

Hi all, I just wanted to show a pic of something that can be built without NASA and works very well. This is my first Beckett prototype. A converted down-draft skimmer box and a bunch of left over skimmer prototype parts.(extruded tube, gasket, skimmer cup, ect..) As you can see, it is not the best looking contraption and it reminds me of a rusted out Dodge Dart, but it kicks butt in function. I used it for a couple months, pulled it out of the sump, sprayed it off with a garden hose and put it in a box. This morning, I pulled it out, and hooked it up to a tank I have some fresh Tonga rock in. Break in time was about 30 min. ( perhaps because I never actually scrubbed it and cleaned it?) It's been running for about 10 hours now and you can see the results. I'm not trying to plug skimmers I build, I'm just saying take your time picking a skimmer and check out all the options.

Last edited:
Back