skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL!!!! ohh boy now it looks a like monster :shock: :) .
Don't forget to post pictures of how much yunk you get !.

heh- o.k. well the sedra 3500 blew foam out of every orifice of this thing:D so i will try a gen-x 1000 needle wheel, same as the one on the baby g, about 260gph instead of of 350, good thing i ordered 2 scince they were only $20:)

the output was only 3/4" not big enough to make the output slow enough to allow the bubbles to travel to the top of the reaction chamber before getting sucked out of the skimmer, and i dont want to drill a bigger hole in this cheap plastic, so smaller pump it is.

Last edited:
heh- o.k. well the sedra 3500 blew foam out of every orifice of this thing so i will try a gen-x 1000 needle wheel, same as the one on the baby g, about 260gph instead of of 350, good thing i ordered 2 scince they were only $20

the output was only 3/4" not big enough to make the output slow enough to allow the bubbles to travel to the top of the reaction chamber before getting sucked out of the skimmer, and i dont want to drill a bigger hole in this cheap plastic, so smaller pump it is.

LOL!!! that's awesome !! :D .
My husband and i are still amazed with what you did with our old skimmer :p.
I hope the other pump works better for it.

If you have a drill you could also do some modifications to that skimmer that would make it awsome. You could do a recirculating mod on it where you mount a pump specifically for mixing the air and the water. Then you could feed the skimmer by an feed pump and drill a hole and add a output for the skimmer that you can control by adding a gate valve. Since you have most of the stuff it would be a fairly cheap mod you might get a needle wheel recirculating pump a few uniseals to make a good seal to a tube and then a gate valve and you are ready to go with an excelent skimmer.

never mind my post I just read the first part of the post and realized that you already had the skimmer modified. Great modification by the way :)

sure thing scooterman! making frankenstien skimmers is my pleasure:)

i decided to go with a sedra 2500 for this thing, f.y.i. the gen-x 1000 nw pump is kinda loud, and their style of needlewheel doesnt produce near as many bubbles as the "euroreef/asm" style, theres a $40 difference between the 2 pumps, but well worth it in my book. just need to get some 1/2" plumbing parts this morning, i'll take some pics this afternoon of the final product. it'll look pretty much the same except i'll be able to take off the ball valve off off the line from the pump (doesnt really belong on a needlewheel pump anyway) i was using to throttle it back for the smaller body size. having the appropriate sized pump is going to be waaaay better.

i cant wait for the new euroreef needlewheels to come out!! and they will even be in eheim pumps for their larger models(1260). also, im looking forward to the euroreef hang on skimmer!!! all i know is it's rectangular kinda like the remora and deltec hang on skimmers and the pump will be beneath the skimmer, either inside or outside.it's gonna be sweet!!! and cheaper than a deltec i'd be willing to bet. and they also have euroreef sumps now!! kinda spendy(not when you compare it to the royal exclusive "black box" though, which is similar), but awesome!!!
i hear that there are assorted reactors in the works for the future as well!
i appreciate that an american company is producing products similar in quality and even exceeding in some areas to the german big boy companies. very impressive!!

shadofax said:
If you have a drill you could also do some modifications to that skimmer that would make it awsome. You could do a recirculating mod on it where you mount a pump specifically for mixing the air and the water. Then you could feed the skimmer by an feed pump and drill a hole and add a output for the skimmer that you can control by adding a gate valve. Since you have most of the stuff it would be a fairly cheap mod you might get a needle wheel recirculating pump a few uniseals to make a good seal to a tube and then a gate valve and you are ready to go with an excelent skimmer.

hmmm, i do like that idea.... and i have a couple uniseals hanging around.. lets see if they are the right size:)

question? The pipe that goes up with the ball valve the up top has a Tee where it returns down & the top goes higher with a cap! Is that cap sealed? How is the heights determined for the Tee, the length back down & the top with the cap? Does that make sense?

Skim-madness

My Mad Dog junk skimmer that needs re-building, we have the technology, we can do it!:p

IMG_1938.jpg

Gabby, hope your not offended by me sorta blending your thread with my skimmer, is so then I'll yank this all out & start a new thread, no problem;)

Back