Skimmerless

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I dont think its necessary to run a skimmer on a reef tank, but I certainly think it helps. On my old system, (58 gallon with ER-CS6-2) I could tell when the skimmer wasnt running as well and needed to be cleaned just by looking at the tank...the water appeared dingy/dirty, and it cleared up within a few hours of getting the skimmer cleaned.

Probably the best arguement I've heard for running skimmer on your tank is from Anthiny Calfo....
To paraphrase him..."I've seen lots of people who say you dont need a skimmer, but I've never run into one who was willing to let me pour whats in my skimmer cup into their tank."

Nick

Don - still planning a lagoon?

I know you asked about going skimmerless, but I was struck by your mentioning a lagoon tank and also mentioning wanting little or no substrate. I would think you would want a deep sandbed for a lagoon tank.

I know you asked about going skimmerless, but I was struck by your mentioning a lagoon tank and also mentioning wanting little or no substrate. I would think you would want a deep sandbed for a lagoon tank.

I dont have the depth to have a dsb. My tank is only 14" deep.

Don

Yes, that would be a shallow lagoon.
I think that one of the things necessary for a successful lagoon is a good source of partially-decomposed organic matter to feed the (richer) collection of macrofauna. And a DSB can be an excellent source of this material.
Of course, staying on the correct side of the excess nutrient line can be tricky ...

Yes, that would be a shallow lagoon.
I think that one of the things necessary for a successful lagoon is a good source of partially-decomposed organic matter to feed the (richer) collection of macrofauna. And a DSB can be an excellent source of this material.
Of course, staying on the correct side of the excess nutrient line can be tricky ...

I'm not at all worried about that sort of thing. I restarted my phyto, zoo and pod reactors. So I think that should keep things well fed. I'm using a 24/7 feeding regimen with peristaltic pumps.

Don

Back