Slate's 125gal build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slate

Well a good buddy sold me a new 125gallon tank/stand he has had in storage for a while now that he realized he will never set up. He gave me an insane deal I couldn't pass up so I finally get to move towards getting rid of my 55gallon tank. This tank has dual corner overflows and is 72"L X 18"W X 22"D. So far all I have is the tank and I bought a 12 x 39W T5 fixture off ebay. I plan to somehow build or buy a canopy for this build and will either run a 40gallon or 55 gallon sump. That is about it for now everything else is up in the air and this build will be a slow one. Below are some quick and dirty pics of the tank. Dirty because I haven't even cleaned the dust it collected in storage off yet.

P1010093.jpg

P1010094.jpg

P1010095.jpg

SANY1267.jpg

SANY1266.jpg

I like how you broke the bulbs up into 39w instead of Going with 80w bulbs it will make for some really cool lighting effect.

Damn no wonder there is a t5 shortage. Give up some of those hostage t5 bulbs. Just kidding that thing is going to be awesome.

please keep us update. That's a lot of light bulbs! Is it necessary? thanks. Good luck

I am sure i could have done 8 48" bulbs staggered but I figured with this route I would have a lot of options with color as i change bulbs. Also I got a great deal on the fixture which helped my decision.

True! Good luck with the build. Remember to test everything before it comes down to "D" day and take it slow! Don't rush anything like someone did....

True! Good luck with the build. Remember to test everything before it comes down to "D" day and take it slow! Don't rush anything like someone did....

Lmao, if it makes you feel any better I have learned the take it slow and plumbing test from others besides your build. You just kind of took it to the next level in number of problems.

Just ordered a SWC Mini S Cone Skimmer from Mark at GreenSkimmer.com. After hearing from all the folks who use this skimmer on 200gallon + set ups I am sure this thing will rock for this build. Plus it always feels great to support our reef community on here, and who can beat a closeout price :).

I also plan to head over to petco to take advantage of the $1 a gallon sale to get a tank for the sump. Beyond purchases I am hoping to paint the inside of the stand over labor day weekend.

The skimmer I purchased from Green Skimmer arrived today to my surprise. Skimmerwhisperer was very quick on shipping it to me. I must say I am not sure why they call this a "mini" :shock:.

P1010096.jpg

P1010097.jpg

I am very excited for the day I get to see this puppy at work.

Found myself a sweet DJ strip pretty cheap on Amazon.com. I am not buying it yet since I am not anywhere near this point but figured I would share the link in case folks reading this are looking for one. Only $30 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-PC-100A-Channel-Lighted/dp/B0002GL50Q/ref=pd_sim_MI_1

If you have a Guitar Center near you they sell them for that same price however you would have to pay sales tax if it applies in your area. Just a FYI... :)

Thanks to willlandcorina I got the sump this past Sunday. It was a little tall but Will was nice enough to cut it down 2 inches for me! Dimensions now are 30"x14.5"x17". I cleaned it up a little and overall I think it will work perfect for this build. I just need to cut down the baffle for the skimmer section a little bit and it will be ready to go.

P1010007.jpg

Nice start. How much was the skimmer? I'm looking for one just like that.

How do you get ahold of them? i tried calling the number but it says that it isnt in service.

Back