Snails Dieing!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishead77

Dork
My snails started dieing last week. I have noticed my tank has been very clean the past month. I think they may be starving! I had about 15 turbo's and 10 trochus.55 g tank. I have lost 5 in the last week or so. Tested my water today and the nitrates are sky high. I will be doing some heavy water changes to get it down. Any other ideas why they are dieing? What supplementary food can I feed them? Thx.

If your tank is truely completely clean of anything for them to eat you might try Nori.

When ever I feed my tanks a slice and they don't eat it all, the snails are there shortly :)

Maybe that will help
Duane

Most species of snails will not tolerate elevated nitrate levels, this may be your problem, I would do a water change....

Matt

I thought that was a lot of snails. I'm not sure why my nitrates are so high. I have no fish in my tank currently as they are in the QT tank kicking the ick, hypo. I have been feeding my softies, maybe too much! How often and how much should I feed my softies. I have the water mixing now will do a 20% change in the morn. and continue until water is good. Duane, I did drop in some nori, although I had to google it to find out what the heck it is!

Back