So I gots the hair algae...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Boomer, have I done something to offend you, this is the second thread where you have taken what appears to be a personal attack, on what I have said. I am sorry if I have offended you in any way. Looked at what Sprung has said, and page 47 of his book, he states that Bryopsis is similar to Enteromorpha, Chaetomorpha and Derbesia. I don't believe he has said anything different than what I have in my reply here.

I'm not attacking you and you have not affended me. It is what you have said. I am suppose to do what, let it go ? I know what Julian says, I know him very well. Similar means similar in appearance, which often has little to do with control of one vs another. You are implying the methods of control may be the same for Bryo- vs Entero. If you do not know this or have a ref that the control is similar or the same, you are going to have reefers trying something that may not be a good thing.

We try to deal with facts here as much as possible, not hear say. In one breath you state you are Bio-Chemist and another a Marine Biologist, implying one needs to pay attention to what you say. Why else would you say that ? It means nothing, the merit or credibility of a reply or answer lies within it contents not what degrees one has or may have.

My gosh Boomer why the hostility, I do apologize for whatever I have done to make you want to attack me on a personal basis. We all have opinions and sometimes, we do make a mistake, I did make a mistake on the phosphates. I could explain why, but it serves no purpose. As for what was said in Julian Sprung's book on algae, I just quoted what he wrote on page 47. So please, am so very sorry for anything that may have offended you, I am not sure why you have decided to attack me.

I could explain why, but it serves no purpose. As for what was said in Julian Sprung's book on algae, I just quoted what he wrote on page 47

Thst is not what it says. It says "Seems to proliferate when there is some ammonia or nitrite available. "

You posted:

Bryopsis is to lower ammonia and nitrates

Do you see the word "nitrates " in that book quote ? There are Nitrites and Nitrates. They are not the same.

Do you know that the only time you can get measurable Ammonia and Nitrites in a tank is when it is new, going through the Nitrogen Cycle when being broken-in or when something dies or there is gross over feeding or some product that has been added off-sets the N-Cycle ?

I'm not attacking you personally, it is you are very wrong in your help answers.

Well, Don was correct! I found the imbalance in the sump, 1: I was cleaning every two weeks, 2: every time I would clean the tank I would forget the filter sock that the skimmer lets out into, it was so thick with green gunk... took forever to clean it, within days the hair algae was 99% gone. Now I clean every week and I clean EVERYTHING!!!

Back