Solana 34 "burps" when I power off the return pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gort

Dazed and confused
I disassembled and cleaned the return pump yesterday as part of monthly maintenance. After what seemed like an easy assembly & re-installation, all seemed to be functioning properly.

I noticed this morning when I switched off the pump for feeding; several large bubbles rose in the middle (filtration) chamber. When the system is running running I hear no 'new' sounds nor are there any bubbles in the water flowing from the return ports. More large bubbles rose again in the same chamber when I powered down the pump 5 minutes later.

I guess I'll pull off the ATO bottle shelf at the top of the return chamber so I can peer down to see if the pump ejects bubbles from the intake port next time I turn it off.

When you turn the pump off the water that is in the lines will suck air back with it as it returns to the sump. This is normal. Just as when you turn the pump back on thi air in the lines rush out before the water exits the pipe. :)

The Solana - being an All-in-One - does't technically have a sump per se. The integrated filtration section is behind the DT. The return pump port is about halfway up the back wall. This was the first time any bubbles had emanated when I turned the pump off. Usually the levels in the DT and rear chambers equalized and that was that. After my original post, I noticed the return pump wasn't 'keeping up" - the outflow pressure seemed reduced and the water level in the rear chambers was rising slowly. I removed the pump, tightened all the fittings and put everything back together making sure the return pump hose wasn't kinked.

All back to normal now - thanks.

Back