Some DIY to my 24gal Aquapod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well after the fight with water squirting all over the place, I must say those little MJ1200 put out some water very quickly o:(

Good luck, can't wait to see it all up again!

It's finished. Everything worked perfectly according to plan. Here are the pics. I need a bit more surface aggitation and will sort that out as I realized that the I swapped out the mj900 for the mj1200 for the skimmer so I'll just need to upgarde that pump, but no biggie. These were literally taken 5 mins after everything was setup. Still needs to clear a bit, but not too bad at all...

THis is a shot with the tank all cleared up

Last edited:
Krish... how are you handling top off? I ask because the rear chamber doesn't seem to have a whole lot of volume, so the potential for the pumps to suck air and burn up (if you were away) seems relatively high.

Also, is there any sort of baffle or divider to stop the Remora from re-skimming the water it just poured out? Actually... that would just make it a recirculating mod. :)

Krish... how are you handling top off? I ask because the rear chamber doesn't seem to have a whole lot of volume, so the potential for the pumps to suck air and burn up (if you were away) seems relatively high.

Hey Jason...Top off is no different from before. Infact, I actually have more volume in the back compartment now than how the tank came. I can go longer before adding water to the tank if I wanted to. Also, the pumps sit real low in the back chamber (almost touching the bottom besides the skimmer pump) so I'd have to be away for a few days without topping off to dry out the rear chamber because if you think about it, I keep the water level actually half way up to the teeth of the overflow. If the water level in the tank drops below the teeth, all that would happen is water will be taken from the rear compartment and added to the tank side until it reaches the teeth again which will resume circulation between the front and back, and will only drop the water level slightly in the back compartment....Just like a sump. It will literally take days at the rate water evaporates in my tank to completely exhaust the water in the back compartment this way because of how low my pumps sit. The only pump that would run dry is the skimmer pump where it sits high, but at the rate I evaporate water again, I would safely say it would take 2 or more days with producing a collection cup of skimmate and not topping off, to probably run that pump dry and I top off twice daily:) Did that make any sense??:)

Also, is there any sort of baffle or divider to stop the Remora from re-skimming the water it just poured out? Actually... that would just make it a recirculating mod.

How could you use a baffle to prevent that? :confused: How the remora is designed, according to what you are saying, it is only a recirculating skimmer because the pump sits next to the output for the skimmer. There's no way to seperate the two with a chamber. What I had to do to prevent the skimmer from sucking in as much of the water as was just poured out of it was turn the intake for the pump away from the output of the skimmer as show in the attachments.

Attachment 1 shows how the skimmer would just re-circulate what is being drained as the pump sucks right from under the output for the skimmer.

Attachment 2 shows how I turned the pump around so that water from the skimmer wouldn't drain on it.

I figure a surface skimming box may limit it some (recirculating water through the skimmer, but you still have the same issue with water draining next the the pump:)

Those both make perfect sense, Krish. I didn't realize your tank's evaporation was that low. My 38g evaps 1.5g per day, but I'm also pushing it to evap as much as possible, for kalk supplementation reasons.

As for the skimmer pump, that's also completely logical. I forgot what the Remora looked like without the pre-filter on there, since I've had mine on for over 2 years. Are you using a MJ900 to feed the Remora? I'm finding even my MJ1200 to be insufficient.

Those both make perfect sense, Krish. I didn't realize your tank's evaporation was that low. My 38g evaps 1.5g per day, but I'm also pushing it to evap as much as possible, for kalk supplementation reasons.

LOL! Sounds like my old 75gal that I had to add a gallon in the morning before going to work and a gallon when I got home!:eek: I may add 1/2 a gallon a day. The room stays pretty cool and where it is a small tank, doesn't take much at all to cool. Also, lights come on late (2:00 pm) and are only on for 7 hours:)

As for the skimmer pump, that's also completely logical. I forgot what the Remora looked like without the pre-filter on there, since I've had mine on for over 2 years. Are you using a MJ900 to feed the Remora? I'm finding even my MJ1200 to be insufficient.

I had the mj900 and then switched to the mj1200 as Mark (skimmerwhisperer) recommended and works much better. My skimmer has a smaller footprint than yours which is probably why you may need a bit more than the mj1200 as I see them reccomending pumps like magdrive and rio's for yours as well as basically upgraded pumps. I don't have the AquaC Remora, but the AquaC nano which is the nano version of the remora seen here.:) http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...roduct_Code=AQUAC-NANO-NP&Category_Code=AquaC

Very nice Krish. Got any updates on this? I'll be setting up a nano and may just copy what you did with your 24g. I will probably go with the 24g as well.

Thanks man... :) The only thing I wish I did was go thicker on the acrylic I used for the back. It started to warp at the top where the water drains over into the overflow and actually just finished messing with it and I have a thick piece of acylic in there for support which seems to work well so I'll watch it. I am thinking on adding a sump to this tank as well. We'll see...If I do, I will be using probably a Euroreef skimmer in there...I already have the sump sketched out and will be a tight fit, but will works nicely. I'll decide soon:)

So you would suggest going with 3/8" acrylic then for the backwall? I will probably go with a sump as well, was thinking a 20g or so. I'm still contemplating whether or not to build a section above the hood to house a 10g refugium so that I can have it overflow into the tank or not. Depends on if I get the time to start building a custom stand for it. Thanks for the tips and pictures on this endeavor, will give me a few ideas to incorporate.

No prob...And yes...I'd suggest 3/8:D I'm going to throw up a few pics in a second on my other thread to update things:)

Hey Krish, what did you use to glue the back on to the existing backing? I read through all this and don't believe you said. I just put water into my new pod...already got rid of the pump it comes with (replaced with mj1200), and cut some more teeth into the back. I really like your idea here and will probably go the same route. I would like to know what your idea was for the sump addition...were you planning on drilling, or just using a hang on overflow?

Hey Todd!:D I used the regular aquarium silicone you can buy at the LFS to glue that backwall onto the existing one. When I was contemplating adding the sump, I had a few ideas. One was to either drill (which I was afraid of because I figured a tank like that may be tempered), another was to mount a CPR over flow which you wouldn't see from in the tank because it would sit in the back compartment, or build my own overflow to hang on the tank (the one that uses the U siphon tube) and try it that way. I saw Mark (skimerwhisperer) had a sump plumbed into his and he posted a pic on my old thread. Here's a link to it http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16252&d=1159984332 which came from this thread post # 17
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19021 I still have the tank out back sitting. Not sure what I will do with it. I was thinking on drilling it anyways just to see if it can be done, but haven't decided. Still trying to decide what route I want to go with a tank:p

Krish, your 'pod is beautiful. I envy your resourcefullness (well, just a little :lol:). You are SO creative! But I really think you need a corner bow front (like their 90 gallon with the built in overflow). You REALLY need one, don't you know! :lol:

LOL!!! K...I'll work on it then:p I'm so far from deciding my next tank it isn't even funny! Too much going on right now with work and so forth to get into it. One of these days a thread will pop up again:D

Krish I love what you did with the 24. I ordered mine today time to upgrade the 10 gal but I did not get the halide and I am going to use the saphire nanoskimmer that fits under the hood. Should I put a bigger pump on it for a return? I am going to split the lock line to help flow.

I got my pod today, I pulled out all the bio balls and the cermaic bag from what I understand those are bad for a reef. I am going to buy a carbon bag and carbon today. Should have sand and water in the tank by tonight. OH and I swaped the pump for a maxi jet 1200. Took a little modifiing due to the outlet of the normal pump and maxi jet are different. Still waiting for my skimmer

Back