someone help me save my gorgonian, pls!!!/Gorgonian Starfish???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dragonchick_7

I recently purchased a gorgonian and it was fine for a few days. It was open and 'happy'. There's now some type of algae or something growing on it. I have had a small issue with algae before, and it actually glazed over my starburst polyps(killing them). The problem seemed to go away for about a week, so I got the gorgonian. The problem is back, now and most of the polyps on the gorgonian won't open, now. I didn't change anything about the tank temp or salenity, and the ammonia, nitrate and nitrit levels are always at 0. I'm very confused. Since the algae problem came back, I have split the water flow into two directions(I need a stronger pump), and I have the coral in decent flow, but this doesn't seem to affect anything. I've heard that there is supposed to be somekind of starfish on the gorgonian itself to clean it, but I've never seen one. Has anyone heard of this?

what lighting do you have your gorgonian under? these forals do not like light. if it is in bright light you need to put it under a rock in shade somewhere. I have not heard of a starfish that lives with a gorgonian before but it could be. also if algea is grwoing on it it might mean that it is already dead. have you ever kept gorgonians before? also what species is it?

Matt

I have one now and it has had alge growing on it before ussally hermits will pick it off and as matt said low light not under heavy light also they seem to like strong water flow it helps keep the alge from growing on it not to worry about the polyps not coming out sometimes it will be days before they do it seems anytime I stir up the sand or clean the glass they come out to feed I think they like the dirty water. I had one when I first started and I did not know how to care for it and it lasted almost a year as it slowly died off in parts. any time you do see it open feed it cyclopseze small misys coral plankton this will keep it going as they do not feed on light

Your both assuming this is a heterotrophic species and not a zooxanthellate/autotrophic type. It's near impossible to know what to do without knowing what species (genus at the very least) the animal is. Buying an unknown never leads to anything productive. There is also no information about the tank set up, parameters or other inhabitants, mobile or sessile.

Cheers
Steve

Soooo sorry!!!

I'm terribly sorry I haven't responded in so long. My internet connection had been cut off temporarily... I ordered it from saltwaterfish.com a few weeks ago. They call it a Deep Sea Yellow Gorgonian; the id section on this site calls it a Yellow Diodogorgia Nodulifera. I have a standard 24 gallon Aquapod that was set up about a month and a half. I know it's probably too soon to put corals in it. I need to upgrade the pump, but it has standard everything... I belive the lighting is Sun-Pacs (dual day and dual itenix lights). I had the gorgonian in the light, so I'm rearranging the tank to creat a shady spot for it.... Well see how it does. My fish are pissed, though....

Last edited:
Gogonians usually need more water flow than most aquarists provide and more than most other corals in the tank will tolerate. The algae coating should be sloughed off naturally in 1-2 days or you clearly do not have enough water flow.

The "need" for starfish and hermit crabs is bunk... compete bunk. This is principally about water flow.

Back