Sony playstation for Blue Ray?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hmm I guess for me it is the games both Hubby and I play (PC and Xbox). I am what you call a FPS lover and like Halo series and Tom Clancy, GOW, Bioshock(I did play both on PC and Xbox and PC has way better graphics for this game) . Some of the games I play are on both Xbox and PC. I also think community wise I used to be very involved with Xbox stuff. But I do have to say I think the best looking game has to be Crysis which is a PC game. I wouldn't mind playing PS games they just don't have anything that interests me at the moment. If I could I would have all 3 systems :)

Hmm I guess for me it is the games both Hubby and I play (PC and Xbox). I am what you call a FPS lover and like Halo series and Tom Clancy, GOW, Bioshock(I did play both on PC and Xbox and PC has way better graphics for this game) . Some of the games I play are on both Xbox and PC. I also think community wise I used to be very involved with Xbox stuff. But I do have to say I think the best looking game has to be Crysis which is a PC game. I wouldn't mind playing PS games they just don't have anything that interests me at the moment. If I could I would have all 3 systems :)

resistance is off the hinges:)

Here's a good URL to read.
http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-one-year-later/

Honestly, I don't think you'll get the best info from someone that owns one or the other, but someone that has "both"... To give a real comparison. I personally have never played an XBox 360. I have however owned both a stand alone blue ray disc player and a PS3 and the PS3 is the same as far as movie quality "which is great" and you also get a nice gaming system.

The main argument I've read that makes people choose XBox 360 over PS3 is the amount of games for XBox 360, but the XBox 360 was also released a "year" before the PS3. They had quite the head start.

If you're looking for an all in one multimedia machine, PS3 is it. If you're mainly looking for the best gaming system a lot of people like XBox 360, but I've never heard anyone that owns a PS3 say they don't like it!!!

Xbox 360 had a lot of hardware problems when they first came out as can be read in the article and is also noted to be a loud system when it's running. PS3 is quiet and I've "never" had a problem with overheating or having to get extra fans. My TV stand is also open though.

My guess with PS3 losing so much interest in the beginning though is that their gaming system "was too expensive" which is also why I believe they took some of the old hardware for backwards compatability, USBs, etc. out of their new systems. To make them cost less to build, hence allowing Sony to sell them cheaper.

If you're choosing between a $350 XBox 360 and a $600 PS3, you're going to choose the $350 XBox especially if your main interest is gaming. I think sony lost a lot of interest with their system coming out a year later than Microsoft's having fewer games and costing almost twice as much, blue ray disc player or not. At the time the system came out most people weren't thinking about buying a gaming system to watch movies on, I know it took me a week to figure it out.

That's it for my .02

Last edited:
just to add to the conversation i own both the the ps3 and xbox 360 as well as a 47" 1080p vizio.

As far as blueray playback the ps3 still beats most of the stand alone systems in load times and unlike older blue ray models because of its online capability it utilizes blueray 2.0 so you dont have to upgrade again soon. Also it will upconvert all your current DVD movies to 1080 which will make them look a lot nicer on your plasma.

As far as games metal gear solid is amazing and easily the best game on the ps3 at the moment. Resistance 2 looks good but so did resistance 1 and it turned out to be only ok. Other than that they have a number of games with potential but most of the blockbuster hits are available for both systems(even the final fantasy series now).You mention the online was not a big concern of your's which is good cause although ps3 online is free it has lots of issues with network stability(socom and MGS4 online can be very frustrating because of this).

The xbox has the games part easily. They have more games and more exclusives then sony right now. Plus they are easier to just jump in and play since you dont have to install the game and then install each new level as you go(for bigger games like MGS4). Also although online you have to pay for it, it is a much better service(this may change as home for the PS3 comes out and the new live update in november) .

For myself i find i only use the ps3 for movies and the occasional ps3 exclusive game. And i use the xbox for almost all my gaming since on the same screen the graphics are too similiar to notice a difference and the ease of use is much better. Also if you ever use live it is very easy.

anyways good luck on whatever you pick and sorry for the long post just wanted to help out some

I've decided to wait until Christmas to get the unit, I even thought maybe wait till after to maybe get a better deal but probably will just get it before Christmas.

I got the 80gb playstation & call of duty, I must say it plays B-rays nicely also games!
So now I need a new game! :D

Cool, which call of duty? My husband has 4 and his screen name is vauginator or something like that.

i like little big planet..it's very kewl..you get to create your own world and go around collecting stickers and what not :p:)

Does anybody know if there will be sales on the ps3 system after christmas? I'm getting money to get one but don't know if I should wait or if I should get one as soon as I get the money.

has anyone else had problems with the volume on the blu rays? i have to have my suround sound all the way up and it is still kind of hard to hear

i have a separate Blu-ray player... i love it.. it has blu-ray live and 7.1 surround decoder.. i am not sure if the Playstation has the 7.1 decoder..if you are wanting good surround sound, you may want to make sure that the Playstation can play in Dolby Tru-Hd and DTS-HD...my player also has a pretty fast load time.. some of the stand-alone Sony Blu-ray players are very slow from what i've read.

i have a separate Blu-ray player... i love it.. it has blu-ray live and 7.1 surround decoder.. i am not sure if the Playstation has the 7.1 decoder..if you are wanting good surround sound, you may want to make sure that the Playstation can play in Dolby Tru-Hd and DTS-HD...my player also has a pretty fast load time.. some of the stand-alone Sony Blu-ray players are very slow from what i've read.
i will have to look into it more there are a ton of audio options on the ps3 and almost as many on my surround sound. i'm just not that tech savy:)

Back