Sound proofing (whats the best way)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CJG

Just wondering if anybody has any bright ides when it comes to sound proofing my stand. I know that insulation and styrofoam are a couple of ways, but are there any more out there? Thanks

depends on whats causing the soound, is it water in the sump or water draining into the sump or flushing sounds, or pumps. That would help.

The way I have my stand made I'm adding 1 1/2" Styrofoam, the pumps are loud when all combined. I'll close in the stand & then I'll pump out the warm air with a fan up into the attic with a using a dryer duct.

I used a sound insulating board from Home Depot on my last stand. Added it to the doors and it really seemed to help.

I forgot to add, that using the insulating material used in autos also deadens sound. I plan on getting some to try out on my tank but it is expensive, I may try something home made.

This is a great subject!
I will be tagging along on this one.

How about some pictures of these sound proof stands and canopies..

Matt

I used 2" foam that I got from a local packaging place.

I looked for a piece of it out in my shop, but I guess I used the last of it under my sump. The sedra 9000 was rattling a little on the bottom of the sump/bottom of stand/floor.
Here is a picture of it one door to the stand. Just by hanging these panels on the doors, I've cut way down on the noise coming from the sump area.
I got the idea from working in different types of boiler rooms and industrrial mechanical rooms, where the engeneers hang sound obsorbing panels around the rooms that catch sound waves that bounce around.
Seems to work for me

I looked for a piece of it out in my shop, but I guess I used the last of it under my sump. The sedra 9000 was rattling a little on the bottom of the sump/bottom of stand/floor.
Here is a picture of it one door to the stand. Just by hanging these panels on the doors, I've cut way down on the noise coming from the sump area.
I got the idea from working in different types of boiler rooms and industrrial mechanical rooms, where the engeneers hang sound obsorbing panels around the rooms that catch sound waves that bounce around.
Seems to work for me

Thanks for the pic, I think I will try it out this weekend. Do you only have it on the doors?

I have it only on the doors (4 in the front and 1 on the end) and the piece that I put under sump was suppose to go on the end of the stand that doesn't have a door on it. But I was waiting untill I finished doing all the wiring and plumbing. Guess I'll have to buy another piece, but it's cheap.

I have it only on the doors (4 in the front and 1 on the end) and the piece that I put under sump was suppose to go on the end of the stand that doesn't have a door on it. But I was waiting untill I finished doing all the wiring and plumbing. Guess I'll have to buy another piece, but it's cheap.

Nice setup man thanks for the tips

I built my wifes office in a corner of my wood shop. Its absolutely sound proof cant even hear the table saw and dust collector running on the other side of the walls. We used suspended ceiling tiles in the walls. The trick is to have a air gap between each layer.

Don

Hey Don are you an Engineer?
you seem to know just about everying thing about just about anything!:lol:

Matt

Thanks everybody for you input. I'll continue looking for new ideas as there posted. I'll have to go to home depot to check out that board. Hopefully I can find some.

Hey Don are you an Engineer?
you seem to know just about everying thing about just about anything!:lol:

Matt

Ya right. I fake it and do alot of research. My wifes office/law library is built like a low budget sound studio.

Don

If you goto home depot ask for sound deadening board. That is what It was called when I worked there way back when.

Back