South Dakota Reefers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well i went over thinkin if someone is aksin 1200 they mean 1000, but the equip was a 220gal tank, it was filled with LR (not included) so i know it doesnt leak, a nice homemade stand with three doors, its a six foot tank and has an 8ft canopy, he just has 4 VHO's (huge long bulbs-i never seen these this big, might be expensive to replace) two HOB overflow box's that lead to a good size (20gal maybe bigger) sump, he had two pumps he used for a return pump, they are the white/blue ones you see all over, i think Iwaki's, and a powerhead, i think it was a SEIO, plus he said if i get the tank he knows a guy in Tampa that has a LR license that he will hook me up with, the guy was really cool, he is gettin a 10ft shark tank! But he was firm on the 1200, which makes sense, so i went it.

What all do you think i need? I was goin to get a ASM G-4 (what you think?) and some LR, that is goin to kill me. And down the road get MH, but that wont be for a while

You will be just fine with VHO's to start out with. I don't know much about the ASM's but I've heard they are nice. You are going to want a bigger sump if that one is only 20 gallons. The first things you need to get are a skimmer and live rock. Let the rock cook/cycle while you are setting up the rest of the system and saving up for more equipment. The longer you let it cook/cycle the better. Fully "clean" live rock leads to less algae problems from the get go.

Congrats Jiddy. Thats going to rock. Live rock is a killer but it really sets your reef, I mean the corals grow onto it, and the feel of everything in the tank is set by the rock. A 220 will be a sight to behold. A 40 gallon breeder with baffles made at any glass shop will hold a asm g4 and work good for you. I have the g3 and it rocks. Really very happy with it. Enjoy your new baby. Steve

Thanks guys, and Trav have you heard good things from Deshields DIY skimmers? And i cant really rember how big the sump was, i was to impressed with the 220gal! Thanks Steve i will be havin fun it, now i just need to find a place to get 200lbs of LR from.

jiddy 150 lbs of rock at most. keep It full of open spaces. I had a video of Mojoreef 650 L shaped tank but gave up on putting it online. anyways He had the best open rockwork I have seen. Look into building shelves out of eggcrate to put the rocks on. You dont want dead spots.

How do clubs get started. Do you think that if i put up a flyer in my LFS and got the LFS to join i could start it that way?

Actually, our situation may be changing for the better real soon. There is a guy that recently started an aquarium installation and maintenance business in town. He used to be in charge of the saltwater aquarium part of the Omaha Zoo. He also spent some time running some famous tank in a famous Las Vegas hotel. Apparently, it sounds like the guy knows what he is doing. I think he is installing a 20,000 gallon setup in some dudes house soon.

Right now he has like 12 40 gallon tanks and a 560 gallon display in his home. I didn't know about this until yesterday. I guess he sells corals and other livestock to his customers out of his home. These operations are the best. I met a guy in Des Moines last year that had this same type of operation set up in his home and he was moving some awesome stock at jaw dropping (in a good way) prices.

Oh yeah, here is his website, which is under construction. Not sure if the picture on there is of his own tank but I'm guessing it isn't just a picture he found on the net.

Wheres teh website, and i must agree with you about the house LFS. In Minneapolis a guy has a cellar full of the best stuff you can get in the state... nevermind

Back