Soyadrink's (Nelson) 50g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

get rid of the frogspawn??? But it's so pretty! :D Love the macro man. Very cool.

Maybe plant the SPS up higher to get better colors and/or try a 150W halide. How's the water temp. anyway?

I thought the Koralia would be mounted behind the rock, and I can see how that would get on your nerves. What about the jamming wavebox idea? You still haven't tried that yet right? That would be wicked flow and no eye sore.

I say go for a 20k radium if you like em blue (just my opinion) You can take one of my older bulbs to see if you like it when I get the new ones in the next couple of weeks here. I also have some older Ushio 20ks...not much of a difference from the hamilton 20ks if you want to see those in action. I most likely also have an extra phos ban reactor (for your carbon). We need to meet up here one of these weekends :) Give me a call.
831-246-4778

get rid of the frogspawn??? But it's so pretty! :D Love the macro man. Very cool.

Maybe plant the SPS up higher to get better colors and/or try a 150W halide. How's the water temp. anyway?

I thought the Koralia would be mounted behind the rock, and I can see how that would get on your nerves. What about the jamming wavebox idea? You still haven't tried that yet right? That would be wicked flow and no eye sore.

I dont have room to plant the SPS higher. I'm also already running 175w Metal halides. Do you think a 250w would be an over load?
Water temp is pretty stable at 79 degrees right now.

I dunno, I like my original idea better of having all the pumps in the back. Also to the wave box. How exactly would that work? I'd also need a controller for that.

I say go for a 20k radium if you like em blue (just my opinion) You can take one of my older bulbs to see if you like it when I get the new ones in the next couple of weeks here. I also have some older Ushio 20ks...not much of a difference from the hamilton 20ks if you want to see those in action. I most likely also have an extra phos ban reactor (for your carbon). We need to meet up here one of these weekends :) Give me a call.
831-246-4778

You're running 250 watts of halides though right? With the phos reactor that would be super! I still think a sump would be good so I can fit a better skimmer. The remora is just not very good...

We definitely do! I'm probably busy this coming weekend but how does it look during the week? send me a PM and we can discuss it that way

I wouldn't put 250W over that tank. Too much I would guess. We can build a partition and turn it into a wavebox, but you can't use the cheap powerheads. They won't cycle on and off correctly. So the issue with the built-in wave box is cost. You need a controllable pump and a controller. I would get suggestions on DIYing this to save some cash. There are guys in the club that can help you with the technical side.

Thanks for the compliment :D

So does anyone have a suggestion on different controllable pumps I could use?
Its christmas soon so I might actually be able to afford something :D

OK, update. So mark has a skimmer for me :D octopus 200 mesh-modded.
My questions:
This skimmer is rated up to like 200 gallons. Do you think It'll be overkill? I mean, don't corals need certain "dirt" in the water they can feed from? I am using the D-D ocean pro salt though which does have phosphate in it.

I would like to put a sump under my tank anyway. Anything speak against it? Also with the skimmer being so big would a rubber made container from home depot or somethin work?

Lastly, bad news:
Found RED BUGS!! on one of my frags. I'm going to get some melafix as soon as possible(wait, was melafix for AEFW of red bugs??) and dip all my SPS.
I don't think it'll be too bad as i dont have any big colonies.
Weird thing is that the only SPS stuff I added was from A Red Sea Aquarium(some ORA stuff and a clam)
Does anyone else who sold frags at the PSAS meeting have red bugs?

Hmm...
just hope the person spreading it knows of it.

Anyway, am also still looking for ideas for controllable pumps I could use in my DIY wave box.

No such thing as "overkill" my young friend. :D

I am not entirely sure whether Melafix will kill red bugs. I know Interceptor does a great job, and have heard of Melafix being used on RB, but I haven't seen it myself.

No such thing as "overkill" my young friend. :D

I am not entirely sure whether Melafix will kill red bugs. I know Interceptor does a great job, and have heard of Melafix being used on RB, but I haven't seen it myself.

Haha. Cool, so I think I'm gonna go with the skimmer.

I think its inteceptor. I'll just look it up here.

I'm planning on doing a big change with aquascape and the looks of the tank so I plan on taking out all the livestock for that.

Oh and by the way jonathan, I was thinking of using your idea of acrylic rods holding up the rocks for when I re-aquascape. Do you know where I could get rods like that?

I wouldn't put 250W over that tank. Too much I would guess. We can build a partition and turn it into a wavebox, but you can't use the cheap powerheads. They won't cycle on and off correctly. So the issue with the built-in wave box is cost. You need a controllable pump and a controller. I would get suggestions on DIYing this to save some cash. There are guys in the club that can help you with the technical side.

I was curious on how you'de build a wavebox in a setup like this? Would you convert the overflow that is already there or build something new? Are there any good build threads or DIY pages on a wavebox that you know of? The reason I ask is I am setting up a 65Gal All glass with built in overflow, and I thought some sort of wavebox would give it pretty good flow.

Peter

nelson, any plastics supplier will have acrylic rods. There are several in South Seattle, USPlastics.com, etc.

Peter,

I would convert part of the large overflow box. All it takes is a hole sized to press-fit your pump shroud, and a piece of acryli to partition the overflow.

I would convert part of the large overflow box. All it takes is a hole sized to press-fit your pump shroud, and a piece of acryli to partition the overflow.

I guess I'm not totally picturing the idea yet. Is it more like a surge device or a closed loop system?

Like this.
wavebox.jpg

So I'm gonna do the skimmer and sump first. I'm gonna go with a hang on overflow so I don't have to drill(for now).
Will the overflow make a lot of noise? What can I do to reduce it?

I do think I wanna go with the wave box idea in the future, the only concern(once again) is noise. See, the tank is in the same room as the tv and its just a pain to always have to turn up the volume so much. Any thoughts on how this could be handled?

Also I checked at the USplastic.com site and they have 3/8" and 1/2" rods. I think I'm going to go with the 3/8", unless there are objections :D

3/8 is plenty big for putting rocks together in that size system. You know that we could easily convert that to a sump system without using a siphon.

Back