Splitting Hairs???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think this calls for a cage match. The only question is, when I'm building the regulation size UFC venue, do I measure the cage dimensions inside or out? And are the bars measured ID or OD? Peppie, you're the building expert here. Can I get away with building a cheeper 2x4 framework for the cage? If so, are those 19th century 2x4's or modern day 2x4's? And are the 16p nails I'll be using actually the same mass as 16 pennies?

Just trying to stir the pot here.....:)

I think this calls for a cage match. The only question is, when I'm building the regulation size UFC venue, do I measure the cage dimensions inside or out? And are the bars measured ID or OD? Peppie, you're the building expert here. Can I get away with building a cheeper 2x4 framework for the cage? If so, are those 19th century 2x4's or modern day 2x4's? And are the 16p nails I'll be using actually the same mass as 16 pennies?

HEY! unless you want to be on the WRONG side of the cage I suggest............... just kidding! nice, I'm lol!

and if I was going to get into a cage with dave it would be with a 2x4 WITH nails. ( not taking any chances)

LOL No need to build a cage. Kevin wouldnt even consider getting in the cage with me on this issue. NUMBERS dont lie!!

I have no idea about the nail thing, weight wise. I call it a 'sinker' (just like Kevins theory)
As for the 2x4s old over new any day. Not just for the size, but for the # of rings that could be counted (looking at the end of the 2x)

Maybe I'm late here. I tried posting when this came up but my lap top deleted my post. Manufacturers have been generalizing tank descriptions forever. A 40 breeder is only 37 gallons, a 65G is really 67gallons. A 120 is 119.7 and these are all measured from the outside. My AGA 210 actually calculates out to 216.9. but I will continue to call it a 210 like all AGA (Aqueon) 210 owners.

Then, if you really want to split hairs. NONE of us actually fill our tanks up to the measured rim.

Maybe I'm late here. I tried posting when this came up but my lap top deleted my post. Manufacturers have been generalizing tank descriptions forever. A 40 breeder is only 37 gallons, a 65G is really 67gallons. A 120 is 119.7 and these are all measured from the outside. My AGA 210 actually calculates out to 216.9. but I will continue to call it a 210 like all AGA (Aqueon) 210 owners.

Then, if you really want to split hairs. NONE of us actually fill our tanks up to the measured rim.

yeh, what he said!

don't forget to deduct the mass of every fish right down to feather dusters............and have fun counting all those pods!

Better late than never. I can swallow the manufactured tanks labeling, But when you have a custom tank built, and it is border line as to having it in the BIG BOYS tank Forum "or" the everybody and his brother, just like normal people, Joe has got one just like it, I'm just another typical reefer...ect... Forum.
Or my over all total water volume is say 600gal, but mt display tank is a 55gal. LOL
I was board at the time I started this thread, just for the lighter side of the hobby!
So where do you think he should post his 267.354gal tank build thread???

Well kpiotrowski K i guess you better sell it and buy something bigger so you can post in the 300 and above here on RF.
LOL
By the way congrats on the new tank! Hope you enjoy it and sorry for the false advertising.:clap2:

False advertising lol. like i've said peppie has spent too much time behind the tape measure and you got to apprectiate someone who wants to "split hairs" sometimes. I do it....as you know, lol. The masses have spoken and it seems nobody wants to go re-meaure their tank for inner dimensions so lets just keep calling 55's 55's and 180's 180's.

:closed_2:

I will send him one of my backpack refugiums.....this will put him over the 300 gallon cut off for his custom build:)lol

you better keep it for yourself as your inside dimensions don't equal 300g also.

I am not worried i have it covered thats why i havn't shown my tank except when starting build many moon's ago:)
I would of thought by now you would of known my tank is no longer normal....lol i have addition's>

So where do you think he should post his 267.354gal tank build thread???
Well, I think that my 210 is a large tank and that anything bigger than a 240 should be allowed into the elite "large tank forum" since tanks this size are usually custom. I never felt that my 500 gallon system needed special recognition. It was still just a 210.

For normal people that aren't addicted to reef keeping anything bigger than a 125 is large (six foot tank), 70-120 is medium and 55 or smaller is small.

Well, I think that my 210 is a large tank and that anything bigger than a 240 should be allowed into the elite "large tank forum" since tanks this size are usually custom. I never felt that my 500 gallon system needed special recognition. It was still just a 210.

For normal people that aren't addicted to reef keeping anything bigger than a 125 is large (six foot tank), 70-120 is medium and 55 or smaller is small.

I guess my opionion would be in freshwater most that have a 125 consider that a LARGE tank. In this end of the water hobby its probably 180 and above. The thread is very clear in stating over 300g so any display tank that the industry calls 300g and above. I have learned EVERYTHING I know form information gathered from others. If you look at any of the thread I have started or replied to you will not see alot of bragging. The only pics I posts are to ask question or provide examples for others. I feel responsible now to post my 300dd tank in the appropriate section so that others can follow along, give advice and, also learn what they may or may NOT want to do when they set up their "large" tank.

anytime you started talking "large" tanks that require closed loops, heavy weights, large equiptment, power consumption, heat generation, fish rooms and remote processing stations, increased humidity both in the home and in the remote sump areas. increased need for lighting both in surface area and depth of the water in the tank,the abilty to stock a better variety of larger fish...I mean where do we stop? this is why there is a large tank forum and perhaps the criteria should be change to include more of these highly involved builds regardless of display tank size!

I would ignore peppie and his concerns. It's a 300. Like stated above, even AGA and marineland are not true even numbers.

Think about a reef ready tank. If a (48" x 24" x 24") 120 gallon tank has overflows, the water level would be probably 1" from reaching the top of the glass panel. If the tank is 24" tall, then at a 48" x 24" footprint, every inch equates to 5 gallons. I guess a reef ready 120 would only ever actually hold 115 gallons.

Would a 120 that only holds 115 be a reason to start a thread like this?

Seems like we are looking for something to complain about. It seems to me Kevin is happy with his aquarium.

Had he told us it was a 400 I wouldn't have taken the time to calculate his dimension out and see if he was a lair. I guess I got better things do do than get hung up on stuff like that.

I see DBM sold the tank. Hopefully he isn't feeling personally attacked. To him, myself and MOST everyone else its a 300 as described.

Have fun and enjoy your new tank!

I am one who likes straight talk and honestly and I don't like to see people getting wrong impression. everyone should know that peppie was meausuring the inside dimension of his roughly 250g tank long before jess even listed his 300dd I bought. I can really see where this thread could be taken much worse than it is. If peppie truly had a grudge he would talk to me practiclaly EVERY day and several times a day and we see eachother several times weekly.

its hard enough for people to get along in person...and here?...in writing only most of the time....

and the perfect example is all of the words above remain unchanged in dialog even though I just made them large and bold. I wasn't "yelling" when I typed it normal! I am not yelling now, just words and without tone and inflection......grain of salt guys.

I thought this was a just messeN around thread i will move my build to the Nano section to stay within the rules:)

I would ignore peppie and his concerns. It's a 300. Like stated above, even AGA and marineland are not true even numbers.

Think about a reef ready tank. If a (48" x 24" x 24") 120 gallon tank has overflows, the water level would be probably 1" from reaching the top of the glass panel. If the tank is 24" tall, then at a 48" x 24" footprint, every inch equates to 5 gallons. I guess a reef ready 120 would only ever actually hold 115 gallons.

Would a 120 that only holds 115 be a reason to start a thread like this?

Seems like we are looking for something to complain about. It seems to me Kevin is happy with his aquarium.

Had he told us it was a 400 I wouldn't have taken the time to calculate his dimension out and see if he was a lair. I guess I got better things do do than get hung up on stuff like that.

I see DBM sold the tank. Hopefully he isn't feeling personally attacked. To him, myself and MOST everyone else its a 300 as described.

Have fun and enjoy your new tank!

You can ignore me and my concerns if you like, but I am still out here.
Communicating on a keyboard lacks the emotion, mood,sarcasm,attitude, ect, ect, ect,

This thread was a joke towards Kevin. He was aware that it was going to be posted. I told him up front I was going to poke him with a stick.
Most people here know I can be brash at times, but 95% of the time it is sarcasm or humor.
I could give a rats a.. if someone posted a 150 in the Large Tank thread. or a 120 in the Nano thread.
What I do care about is the factual information that is given on this site concerning the ins and outs of this hobby!!!

Kevin; I first thought TJL had posted! Thems some big attention getters there!!

LMAO about the direction this thread has gone... and turned... and still going on.
What a great site full of opinionated Reefers!!!

I thought this was a just messeN around thread i will move my build to the Nano section to stay within the rules:)

You were the first to post a repy on this subject, and you knew right away it was ment to be a fun, light-heated discussion.

Still LMAO

I dont think there is a forum title to list that.. that.. that... Thing yea thats it "That Thing" you are developing.

Just because no one here has seen a FTS yet!! How are we suppose to judge???

Last edited:
Back