Spots on our Foxface

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

teds

Hello,

Hoping someone can help. We recently noticed some spots on our Foxface, I'm wondering if anyone has seen this type of thing before and could maybe offer an opinion? Note that the fish is still eating well, acting very healthy, pretty much as usual. None of the other occupants appear to be affected, also no obvious issues in terms of tank params. A recent change to the tank is a pretty significant upgrade in flow (added 4 sea swirls and a ReeFlo barracuda :)).

SLS_0957.JPG

SLS_0965.JPG

SLS_0965-1.JPG

thanks much,

Ted S.

looks more like some scales are missing than spots, have you noticed him rubbing against any corals or anything like that?

I agree!! Before reading any replies, the first thing came to mind was missing scales. Your fish looks really healthy IMO as well :)

The location sort of discounts the fish rubbing against something. That is not the place it would brush or rub up against a bit of decor, for instance.

The fish has the marks of a crab attacking it. Perhaps at night. Do you have any crabs in the system? If not, you might want to look to any of the inhabitants where it 'sleeps' to see if it is being bothered.

Hey all,

Good call on missing scales, I was sort of thinking the same but haven't really seen anything like this before. Doesn't help that I'm a bit paranoid, we had a Foxface just like this one that suddenly croaked about a year back. I'm assuming there is nothing particularly bad about missing scales, they'll hopefully just grow back?

Still beautiful on one side I guess :)

I haven't seen the fish actively rub against anything and no crab in the tank. Hmmm.. I guess I wouldn't put it past the Blue tang to be a little ornery, however the Foxface is by far the largest fish in the tank, usually the guy in charge. Also no damage to any fins. I'll keep an eye out for an offender.

thank you for all of the replies,

Ted S.

Back