Spray bar versus bulkhead

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NeuroDoc

Ok,

After having started a nano tank, I have bitten and will be starting a 120g reef tank this year. I have already bought the tank (4x2x2ft) with an 8"x5" overflow in the center back. Tank is made from 3/8" acrylic, and has not been drilled yet. I anticipate putting my a 'Y' shaped return in each back corner for surface flow, and will have a closed loop.

Here is my first question:

As I work to desing the circulation, how necessary is a spray bar? Is it possible to accomplish the same thing with simple bulkheads in the back wall?

Thanks in advance. I will be asking more questions as I progress in design/build.

I am personally not a fan of spraybars. I think their application is best when there is a lot of LR and a lot of potential deadspace to cover, however I think they are also the most likely to get clogged and the most difficult to clean in this same application. I also think that bang-for-your-buck, you are better off using the 1 or two outlets you would plumb to the spraybar to direct flow to a specific location.

Mat

i thought about going with a spray bar but i did this instead

130690443.jpg

yeah, that is a much better idea. Large outputs buried under the rock will still accomplish pretty much the same thing and are much less likely to clog. That means much less maintenance. The only tough part is hiding the plumbing in the landscape.

Mat

I must just be lucky with my spray bars, I've never had a clog yet. I dont run any form of filtration besides macro algae either, so I would think I would be most prone to clogging. I personally think they are great assuming the number and diameter of holes is sized approprately with the pump being used. A ton of high velocity high turbulance streams creates much more water exchange past the surface of corals than a few large lower velocity exits.

liveforphysics said:
I must just be lucky with my spray bars, I've never had a clog yet. I dont run any form of filtration besides macro algae either, so I would think I would be most prone to clogging. I personally think they are great assuming the number and diameter of holes is sized approprately with the pump being used. A ton of high velocity high turbulance streams creates much more water exchange past the surface of corals than a few large lower velocity exits.

O.k. as I prepare to build my spray bar, how do I determine the correct number, size, and spacing of the holes? The flow for the spray bar will likely be delivered via a Mag9.5 return and which will also supply flow to 2 other outlets, just haven't decided where these 2 will be placed yet.

NeuroDoc said:
Ok,

After having started a nano tank, I have bitten and will be starting a 120g reef tank this year. I have already bought the tank (4x2x2ft) with an 8"x5" overflow in the center back. Tank is made from 3/8" acrylic, and has not been drilled yet. I anticipate putting my a 'Y' shaped return in each back corner for surface flow, and will have a closed loop.

Here is my first question:

As I work to desing the circulation, how necessary is a spray bar? Is it possible to accomplish the same thing with simple bulkheads in the back wall?

Thanks in advance. I will be asking more questions as I progress in design/build.

I'd prefer just bulkheads and lock line. If your going bb it takes alot of flow to keep the bottom clean. I dont think spray bars do a very good job vs a strong flow.

Don

I've used spray bars on my last 5-6 tanks and I have never had one clog. My 180 has a bottom spray bar and a top spray bar that have been in use for more than 6 years. If anything, some of the holes seem bigger than when I first drilled them. Water will erode, even pvc.
I would suggest that you use your return pump for the spray bar only as the water will go the path of least resistance. Meaning if your spray bar holes are 1/8" and you have a larger outlet somewhere else on that pipe, all the water will go to the larger outlet.

It looks like there are folks on both side of the fence. You may want to look at what your tank is going to be as far as substrate and rock work, this will give you a much better idea of how the flow should look. Most sps tanks will plug up a spraybars with ca precip very quickly. On the other side sand gets blown around by larger diameter outlets. Not much help, just food for thought.

Don

I agree completely.
I should have said my tanks have been almost 100% soft corals.
I do have a 40 that has monti cap and zoanthids. I am using kalk in this tank and it has a bottom spray bar.
I guess I will find out about the clogging issue with this one.

In a bb tank, no bulkheads, how do you all deal with not having a spray bar?

Could I just run tubes in the back corners to a 'T' that would fire down into the corner and then towards the other back corner? I have no problems not using a spray bar, I'm just not sure how not to in a bb tank that I can't drill.

bc_slc said:
yeah, that is a much better idea. Large outputs buried under the rock will still accomplish pretty much the same thing and are much less likely to clog. That means much less maintenance. The only tough part is hiding the plumbing in the landscape.

Mat

not realy worked out great, just plan your tank around it

three of the heads come out under the main pile and one comes out on each side near the front

DonW said:
I'd prefer just bulkheads and lock line. If your going bb it takes alot of flow to keep the bottom clean. I dont think spray bars do a very good job vs a strong flow.

Don

I anticipate having a shallow sand bed, 1-2" in the main tank, with a deep sand bed in the refugium. The main problem I will have with a spray bar is the fact that my overflow will be in the center of the tank. That means either two spray bars on either side, or simple bulkheads and lock-line in the back.

If you use a spraybar on your return...make sure you add an anti-syphon hole somewhere near the waterline. Equally important...make sure you regularly clean the hole. Yes...I learned this one the hard way:(

Back