Matt's 100 gallon Rimless OBD system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

A few new pictures with my new camera. It's a point and shoot, Canon SX280HS. Has an underwater setting, that's what I used. I'll play more with it later.

vftc.jpg

f0uh.jpg

4urc.jpg

Love this one. Lawnmower Blenny Glass Smooches!

f3qe.jpg

Have a new member of the family! Noticed this guy this morning, he's about 1/4" long!

ah2u.jpg

Never had fish breed in my tank before, will he live? Not sure if there are any others, this is the only one I've seen.

Got a new camera, here's some shots...

r4tn.jpg

mp2f.jpg

Here's Daddy (or Momma), not sure which one...
tsm1.jpg

gll1.jpg

t3c7.jpg

2wtu.jpg

91jx.jpg

rakb.jpg

FTS
8f0s.jpg

7mdu.jpg

That's it for now!

Last edited:
That picture of the snail with the checker board pattern looks very similar to a known zoanthid eater.
Have any more pictures of it?

After looking at it again,,, probably not.

Last edited:
Haven't been contributing much lately, because I've had a pretty bad hair algae problem, but I think I've got it on the run (hopefully) so here's a few new pics.

yj1n.jpg

Full Tank Shot

f7xp.jpg

ydl7.jpg

Green Monti Digitata, Pincushion Urchin, and Green Clown Goby hiding in the Monti

uw3t.jpg

You can still see a little of the algae, but it's getting a lot better!

sk07.jpg

Spongode

39qa.jpg

Tomini and friends - including some finger-biting clowns!

f1q5.jpg

Desjardin's Sailfin

byxq.jpg

Yellow polyps and a random coral I got from Inland Corals

WOW that hair algae was crazy!!:jaw::jaw::jaw:

Tell us how you got a handle on it. I am sure some want to know.

WOW that hair algae was crazy!!:jaw::jaw::jaw:

Tell us how you got a handle on it. I am sure some want to know.

Yeah horrible, right? Here's what I've done, up to this point. Not done yet, but it's better.

1. Manual removal. I got some 5/8" tubing and pulled and siphoned it as much as possible. I would siphon it back into the sump through a strainer.
2. Less feeding. I'm only feeding once a day, or every other day, for now.
3. Rinsing the food.
4. Dr. Tim's Wasteaway and Refresh. I was dosing with Refresh for a couple of weeks, every other day or so. That got rid of my cyano, and it hasn't returned. I used Wasteaway every other day for a month or more, but recently ran out and haven't reordered it yet. It's bacteria that competes for waste. I think it's made a difference.
5. Added Chaeto and a light in the sump.
6. Added more biopellets in my pellet reactor.
7. Skimming a little wetter.
8. Cut back my lights a couple of hours a day. Plus, if it's really sunny I close the front curtains in the afternoon.
9. Hydrogen peroxide. I've pulled out as many rocks as I easily can and sprayed or squirted with hydrogen peroxide. It kills the hair algae dead! And it doesn't come back on the rocks you treat. I've also been dosing it directly into the tank. I use 1/2 cup a day dumped right into the tank, my total volume is about 150 gallons, minus the rock. I don't really like doing that because it kind of stresses some of the corals (zoas mainly) but I really want to get rid of it. The zoas close up for about an hour or less, then they open up just fine. It shocks the urchin a little too, it falls off the rock that it's on, but recovers immediately.
10. I've bought tons if snails (turbograzers, ceriths, margaritas, astreas, trocus, and nerites). Plus, 2 urchins, 2 tangs (tomini and sailfin) and 3 or 4 emerald crabs. In my opinion, none of these things have helped at all. I don't think snails help at all, and they kind of drive me nuts.

This is what I've done, and I think it's getting much better. I just keep plugging away at it. I think a lot of it is that my tank is fairly new, only about 8 months old right now. Patience is the key I think.

Yeah horrible, right? Here's what I've done, up to this point. Not done yet, but it's better.

1. Manual removal. I got some 5/8" tubing and pulled and siphoned it as much as possible. I would siphon it back into the sump through a strainer.
2. Less feeding. I'm only feeding once a day, or every other day, for now.
3. Rinsing the food.
4. Dr. Tim's Wasteaway and Refresh. I was dosing with Refresh for a couple of weeks, every other day or so. That got rid of my cyano, and it hasn't returned. I used Wasteaway every other day for a month or more, but recently ran out and haven't reordered it yet. It's bacteria that competes for waste. I think it's made a difference.
5. Added Chaeto and a light in the sump.
6. Added more biopellets in my pellet reactor.
7. Skimming a little wetter.
8. Cut back my lights a couple of hours a day. Plus, if it's really sunny I close the front curtains in the afternoon.
9. Hydrogen peroxide. I've pulled out as many rocks as I easily can and sprayed or squirted with hydrogen peroxide. It kills the hair algae dead! And it doesn't come back on the rocks you treat. I've also been dosing it directly into the tank. I use 1/2 cup a day dumped right into the tank, my total volume is about 150 gallons, minus the rock. I don't really like doing that because it kind of stresses some of the corals (zoas mainly) but I really want to get rid of it. The zoas close up for about an hour or less, then they open up just fine. It shocks the urchin a little too, it falls off the rock that it's on, but recovers immediately.
10. I've bought tons if snails (turbograzers, ceriths, margaritas, astreas, trocus, and nerites). Plus, 2 urchins, 2 tangs (tomini and sailfin) and 3 or 4 emerald crabs. In my opinion, none of these things have helped at all. I don't think snails help at all, and they kind of drive me nuts.

This is what I've done, and I think it's getting much better. I just keep plugging away at it. I think a lot of it is that my tank is fairly new, only about 8 months old right now. Patience is the key I think.

Got rid of my green hair issues with an Orange Shoulder Tang, that guy eats like a beast. I am VERY curious about some of the items you have tried, spent the last hour reading threads at RC on Hydrogen Peroxide, had never heard of using it in our hobby before, dont think I will, but interesting stuff. You say that you got rid of cyano with Dr. Tims Refresh? Another product I had never heard of. Anyone else use this with good results? Cyano seems to be my recurring issue over time, I treat it with Chemiclean and a few weeks to months later it comes back.

Back