SPS bad colors :(

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NAx0

Hello to all:

I have some doubts that I hope that somebody can help to clarify me.

First of all I put a photo to you of my aquarium. is something old of October but thus as it is and as it is.

pers.jpg

As you see the aquarium is destined to SPS with some LPS like acqantastrea, trachyphyllia, blastomusa and other lps pretty's

My problem resides in the coloration of sps, specially in the acroporas. The montiporas I can say that they are all of coloration very well.

I explain a little to you my tasks of maintenance as well as parameters and illumination:

Parameters---------
Ph: 7,9-8,2
Ca. 400-450
Mg: 1350
Kh: 7-8
Nitrates:0
Phosphats:0
salinit: 1025
Temp:77 F

Equipment----------
Tank size: lenght 5"x2,6"x2,6" 139 G
sum: 44G
skimmer: Schuran 120
Live rock-fiji and other origins 132 lbs aprox.
BB tank
No refugium
circulation:
one Stream 3170g/h
one stream 1850 g/h
return sum: 660 g/h

Lighting: 2x250w MH 14kº Aquaconnect and 4x54w T5 Blue Plus Ati

Actinics-12h AM on
MH(1)-14h PM on
Mh(2)-15h PM on
Mh (1)-22h PM off
MH (2) 23h PM off
Actinics 1h AM off

Adittives:
Aminoacids-salifert
idoine-salifert
strontium-salifert
Ca-salifert
Mg-salifert
KH-salifert
Coral-ABC-grotech

rotifers and fitplakton somethimes.

Actual fish poblation:
5-Pseudoanthias squamippinis
1 amphiprion percula
1 pseudochelinus hexataenia.
2 dascyllus
1 chrysiptera parasema.

First of everything I have retired of my aquarium the actinodiscus, zoanthids and other polyps to avoid invasions and injurious liberations of toxins.

aspect november:

up.jpg

The Coral ABC it would dare to me to say that it has increased the coloration of the corals in its great majority.

But not sufficient it.

At the moment not if to think about a deficiency or incorrect illumination.

Some suggestion? I have thought about changing my reactancias by electronic of CoralVue and that makes raise to me if he would be better to increase 400w. if it is so illumination, that temperature of color marks?

Thank you very much to all by your time.

NAx0

Coloration seems to be Chuck, Mike and some others speciality. I just want to welcome you to reef frontiers and say I like your tank alot.
How old are your bulbs the MH ones?
I think you meant your tank size converted to english measurements is
5feet x 30inchs x 30 inchs.
Again Welcome.

You have pretty good circulation so corals should have access to good food in the form of fish waste and the bacteria that is attacking it. I would probably avoid the phytoplankton as SPS do not directly ingest it. As a result, the main thing it is doing is adding nutrients to the tank that you do not need.

Everything that I can find about Coral ABC Grotech is in a foreign language. Can you describe what this supplement is or what it is supposed to do?

Hi wrightme43:

The lights are 6 months, they are E40, in a reflector with protective glass.

if I watch naked the light by rough estimate, I can watch it, however in 250 light bulbs of double ended that is impossible.

The wiring is correct, as soon as 20cm between light and ballast.

converted to english measurements is 5feet x 30inchs 30 xs inchs.

in Cm... is 125cmx65cmx65cm

Thks for your time.

if, I describe the components to you:

Coral A B C grotech:

A: strontium, magnesium, potassium, barium, Lithium....
B:Iron, to fer, magnesium, chrom, mangan, nickel, zink, kobalt...
C:Iodine, fluorine, boron, Molybdenum, bromine...

It is like a complete composition of everything of elements. thanks

Well I am pretty sure that Iron can cause a overabundence of zooanthe that could block the colors of the sps. Just a thought and by no means a definite answer.

How long have you had the SPS and were they brown when they started in your tank?

I agree with Steve regarding the Iron. Increases in zooxanthellae will cause a browning in coral color, as the pigments of different chlorophylls, which combined make brown. This thread goes into the pigments: Link Between Coral Coloration and Nutrient Levels?. Here is a link to an article: Iron: A Look at Organisms other than Macroalgaes by Randy Holmes-Farley. Here are a couple of quotes:

The largest increase in zooxanthellae was found in that with just iron additions.

Things to watch for if dosing iron

The research described in this article has suggested a variety of things to watch for if dosing iron. I’ve not noticed any of them in my tank, but I’m not sure that given my particular tank, I would have detected some of them anyway. If anyone does initiate iron dosing in their tanks and notices one of these, I’d appreciate hearing of it.

1. If the increase in zooxanthellae described above happened in some of the brightly colored corals that we keep, it is possible that the color may be dimmed toward brown.

2. If the decrease in zooxanthellae described above happened in some of the Sinularia sp. that we keep, it is possible that the color may be lightened or brightened.

3. If the increase in zooxanthellae described above happened in an ongoing fashion, it is possible that aquarists may observe the expulsion of zooxanthellae more frequently.

4. If the reduced coral growth rates described above translated to reef tanks, then it is possible that certain corals may grow substantially more slowly when dosing iron than when not. Whether this is good or bad may depend on whether the aquarist likes to collect coral fragments from the tank or not.

5. If, in fact, iron has any effect on cyanobacteria in a reef tank, then aquarists may experience decreased (or increased) levels of it.

6. Diatoms may begin to grow more rapidly if they are iron-limited in reef tanks.

Also, here is a good thread about lighting: Let's Talk About ~Lighting~.

where I accuse but these effects are in the acroporas.

For example it is this montipora here. One photo with 2x250w MH of 14ºk Aquaconnect.
capri.jpg

same but a month after being using 4x54w Ati Blue Extra

purplecap.jpg

Other corals..

seriatopora histrix. good color.
histrix.jpg

Now I will take photos from the acroporas so that they can see as they are.

All your corals appear to be healthy and thriving. Coloration and/or polyp extension is not an indication of coral health. SPS corals are subject a wide range of lighting spectrums and intensities in the wild. So it can be expected that some will become more colorful and some less colorful when you change lighting spectrums or intensities.

Normally for a tank of your depth 400W bulbs are desired for maximum coloration of high light SPS corals, especially shallow water Acropora species.

Regards,
Kevin

hola y bienvenido :) .

i just wanted to say that you got some awesome corals and i hope you find the problem pretty soon even though from where i see them, they look awesome.

Thanks to all for your answers.

It is a pleasure to receive good and fast answers. :eek2:

Very many thanks.

It will control the additive that takes iron, although is in the smallest proportion.

And I will take control of two electronic ballast icecap to mount 2 MH of 400w:rolleyes:

2x14.000kº??

2x20.000kº??

or...

2x10.000kº and actinics??

Thks!!

spongebob : thank you very much by your words, attempt always to obtain good units although always is dificult! here I leave a photo you of a unit that I leave myself enamored and surprised to fall in my hands.

arcoiris.jpg

sorry.... :D dificil=dificult :p

Last edited:
dood, yeah i bet is dificil mi amigo :), but you got something really nice going.
i love seeing pictures, so keep them coming :D

Looks great to me. I think they look great. I know 20,000k would make them glow, but I understand it comes at the cost of slower growth and encrustation of the corals.

Bulb color is a difficult choice, for me anyway, because there are so many options. From what I've noticed even the same color can yield a different look based on manufacturer. I have looked at tanks with 14,000 and really like the look, however, I prefer 10,000 with actinics. Some people really love 20,000, but I feel they look too blue. I'll probably change my mind a million times for which bulb color I like the best. That means I must stay in the hobby long enough to try them all :D.

I would suggest holding off on changing your additives until you've had your upgraded lights on for awhile. Your montipora has gorgeous coloration! The new lights may be all your acroporas need. Remember when you change your lighting, acclimate your tank to them.

Have you seen this website before? Sanjay's Reef Lighting Info Pages. You can search the performance of bulbs and ballasts. It might help you with your new lighting.

Here is another site, where you can see the color differences in 250W MHs (I know you are looking for 400W, but thought it might help a little): 250W Bulb Comparison. Click on the arrows to scroll through the different looks of the bulbs.

Keep us updated! :)

Hello,
I would recommend 400W Reeflux 10,000K from Coralvue. I believe you have them available. Be sure to get the Reeflux model and not the standard Coralvue bulb. The Aquaconnect bulbs are also a good choice but I can't remember what color temperature (K) is best. Redeye Reef runs them and his tank looks very good. I will send him a message and let you know.

Saludos,
Kevin

Thank you very much Kevinpo.

Today im comes a friend to help me, to mount the new illumination.

I already have both projectors of 400w and another friend had two new light bulbs of 20.000kº
when coralvue can I buy those!

I have to say that to my I like the bluish color but not completely blue!
Tomorrow I hang photos to them.

Thanks for everything!

Back